General Soccer Thread
- go birds
- -go birds
- Posts: 32057
- Joined: February 5 10, 9:54 am
Re: General Soccer Thread
Whats everyone's thoughts on the USMNT goalie? I saw he made a couple of great saves. How does he compare to Timmy Howard?
- Transmogrified Tiger
- Puppy Murderer
- Posts: 9323
- Joined: April 25 06, 6:07 pm
- Location: Across the River
Re: General Soccer Thread
Guzan? More than a few people thought he should have been starting over Howard in the World Cup last year. He's really, really good.
-
Fat Strat
- Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie
- Posts: 28010
- Joined: April 17 06, 9:16 pm
- Location: No. 16 on the Cards Top 15 Prospect List
Re: General Soccer Thread
Yeah, no worries with Guzan back there and Howard taking a sabbatical.Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Guzan? More than a few people thought he should have been starting over Howard in the World Cup last year. He's really, really good.
- thrill
- bronoun enthusiast
- Posts: 30539
- Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
- Location: barely online
Re: General Soccer Thread
He was scape goat'd at his club this year and benched. He's solid and probably the best option at this point. Tim Howard 4 years ago would be much better, but now I'm not sure.
Either way just get on the Zack Steffen band wagon now because that kid is a beast.
Either way just get on the Zack Steffen band wagon now because that kid is a beast.
- mtcefc
- Everyday Player
- Posts: 210
- Joined: June 8 14, 12:48 am
- Location: Lancashire, England
Re: General Soccer Thread
I think Tim Howard has declined the last couple of seasons although a goalkeeper is only as good as his defence in my opinion.
What winds me up with him (and I have a season ticket at Everton) is that he can produce some outstanding saves, then concede some really simple goals. He also gets beaten from distance and awful lot.
He has been mainly good and I believe he has had some personal issues the last year or so, people handle that stuff differently.
As for Guzan, I don't really rate him, but I don't see him that often. I don't think he has what it takes to be a starter in the Premier League and the fact that he was dropped for Shay Given at Aston Villa (who still conceded a ton of goals - see above point about the defence) says a lot about him.
What winds me up with him (and I have a season ticket at Everton) is that he can produce some outstanding saves, then concede some really simple goals. He also gets beaten from distance and awful lot.
He has been mainly good and I believe he has had some personal issues the last year or so, people handle that stuff differently.
As for Guzan, I don't really rate him, but I don't see him that often. I don't think he has what it takes to be a starter in the Premier League and the fact that he was dropped for Shay Given at Aston Villa (who still conceded a ton of goals - see above point about the defence) says a lot about him.
-
Freed Roger
- Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
- Posts: 26073
- Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
- Location: St. Louis
Re: General Soccer Thread
Womens world cup...anyone?
Happened across this US Nigeria game. Seems like sb a mismatch. Entertaining game.
Happened across this US Nigeria game. Seems like sb a mismatch. Entertaining game.
-
Freed Roger
- Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
- Posts: 26073
- Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
- Location: St. Louis
-
MrSaigon
Re: General Soccer Thread
Has Clint Dempsey ever been on an episode of My Super Sweet 16? He'd do well there, the entitled princess.


- thrill
- bronoun enthusiast
- Posts: 30539
- Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
- Location: barely online
Re: General Soccer Thread
Stop it. Maybe my favorite thing he's ever done.
-
MrSaigon
Re: General Soccer Thread
I should go a little easier on him, I guess. It's got to be hard that all that soccer gets in the way of abusing referees, which is all he really wants to do--when he's not punching people in the nuts. There just aren't enough dead balls to really get in there and scream.
He's a petulant child. I guess Seattle always has to have one.
The Timbers are probably going to get one of these Wondo/Landon/Deuce types at some point. It's hard enough having Will 'Weasel' Johnson on the team--that's really going to be a struggle for me.
He's a petulant child. I guess Seattle always has to have one.
The Timbers are probably going to get one of these Wondo/Landon/Deuce types at some point. It's hard enough having Will 'Weasel' Johnson on the team--that's really going to be a struggle for me.


