Music talk Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
User avatar
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.
Posts: 12895
Joined: December 6 10, 1:09 am
Location: Illinois

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by IMADreamer »

MrSaigon wrote:I watched 'Jaco' on Netflix. Some great music. Some pretty awful music, IMO, as well. Interesting story, that wasn't told very well in the film about mental illness. But the subject was a very interesting and talented bassist.

I've always loved the sound of the bass up at the high frets. This is a cool song:
As a bass player I've just never been into Jaco or those types. I get they are amazing talents but I'd rather try and emulate Entwhistle, John Paul jones, geddy Lee, or McCartney.

User avatar
go birds
-go birds
Posts: 32057
Joined: February 5 10, 9:54 am

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by go birds »

MrSaigon wrote:30 years later, do The Smiths' fans' parents understand them AT ALL yet?
I think i speak for everyone when i say im kinda over "morrissey". or maybe the idea of Morrissey.

Just hang em up man.

Morrissey should just, i dunno...go away?

User avatar
The Third Man
It rubs the lotion on its skin.
Posts: 8935
Joined: July 17 06, 1:00 pm

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by The Third Man »

Morrissey gets a lifetime pass for "There is a Light That Never Goes Out" alone.

MrSaigon

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by MrSaigon »

Led Zeppelin didn't steal Stairway... in a legal sense.

User avatar
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn
Posts: 43288
Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by heyzeus »

go birds wrote:
MrSaigon wrote:30 years later, do The Smiths' fans' parents understand them AT ALL yet?
I think i speak for everyone when i say im kinda over "morrissey". or maybe the idea of Morrissey.

Just hang em up man.

Morrissey should just, i dunno...go away?
Morrissey 2016, and anyone's opinions thereof, are irrelevant, because he wrote, and the Smiths performed, this:

User avatar
The Third Man
It rubs the lotion on its skin.
Posts: 8935
Joined: July 17 06, 1:00 pm

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by The Third Man »

One of the greatest miserable bastard songs ever.

User avatar
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn
Posts: 43288
Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by heyzeus »

heyzeus wrote:
Schlich wrote:
go birds wrote:<3 the new M83
Looking forward to seeing them at Lolla. My first time going to a major music fest so we'll see how that goes.

I'm just kinda catching up to this band. This song blew me away.


Upon further reflection, this is the best song I've heard in a few years.

MrSaigon

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by MrSaigon »

While we're on superlatives, I heard this, the expletiviest POS in the history of humanity at the store last night. It made me angry. Oh my God it's awful. When he hits that "rewind" I want to punch stuff. My research suggests you may have heard it at your local Kroger as well.


You're welcome.

User avatar
The Third Man
It rubs the lotion on its skin.
Posts: 8935
Joined: July 17 06, 1:00 pm

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by The Third Man »

It only took 16 years, but the new Avalanches album is finally out. Praise the Lord.

User avatar
The Third Man
It rubs the lotion on its skin.
Posts: 8935
Joined: July 17 06, 1:00 pm

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by The Third Man »

For anybody wondering, they didn't miss a beat. That's gonna be my album of the summer. As good a follow-up to Since I Left You as anybody could ever hope for - better, even, than the long-awaited (and very good) My Bloody Valentine album, for one example.

Anyway, now I'm in a Velvet Underground mood so I'm gonna listen to all four studio albums (including all three mixes of their third album - what's your favorite? mine is the Closet Mix) plus the 33 hours of unreleased material, studio outtakes, live albums and bootlegs I've got sitting around. Psychedelic Sounds from the Gymnasium and The Legendary Guitar Amp Tapes are where it's at, yo.

Post Reply