Music talk Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
User avatar
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn
Posts: 43292
Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by heyzeus »

Tambourine Man wrote:
Schlich wrote:I wanna get a record player for pretty much the sole purpose of listening to radiohead. Not really just that, but almost.
I ditched almost all my vinyl a few years ago, but it can be a cool hobby. A word of advice? Be very selective of what albums you buy. I'd walk into a flea market, start digging through bins and the vendors would be like, "You can have the whole crate for $5!" So I'd take the whole crate of 50 albums that contained 2 I liked. Next thing ya know, you have 7 Dark Side of the Moons and 1 in good shape. And they take up a whole hell of a lot of space.
One of my roommates was a vinyl guy and a DJ during the DJ Shadow heyday of mixing, so buying crates and crates of vinyl was pretty much his life. When he moved out, it took almost all afternoon just to haul his crates of vinyl down three flights of stairs.

User avatar
stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother
Posts: 13380
Joined: April 17 06, 7:36 pm

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by stlouie_lipp »

heyzeus wrote:
Tambourine Man wrote:
Schlich wrote:I wanna get a record player for pretty much the sole purpose of listening to radiohead. Not really just that, but almost.
I ditched almost all my vinyl a few years ago, but it can be a cool hobby. A word of advice? Be very selective of what albums you buy. I'd walk into a flea market, start digging through bins and the vendors would be like, "You can have the whole crate for $5!" So I'd take the whole crate of 50 albums that contained 2 I liked. Next thing ya know, you have 7 Dark Side of the Moons and 1 in good shape. And they take up a whole hell of a lot of space.
One of my roommates was a vinyl guy and a DJ during the DJ Shadow heyday of mixing, so buying crates and crates of vinyl was pretty much his life. When he moved out, it took almost all afternoon just to haul his crates of vinyl down three flights of stairs.
And they are surprisingly heavy.

User avatar
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite
Posts: 37260
Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Location: Huis Clos

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by lukethedrifter »

Wife got me a fairly inexpensive turntable for Christmas since I still had a couple crates of records. Really fun to dig back into that stuff... until it started skipping on records that aren't scratched or warped. Bah.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
Posts: 26073
Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by Freed Roger »

I try to enjoy my cheapy Crosley record player, but sound is warbly. my wife thought it was my imagination + old warped records, but I can't get past that wavering sound. There was a record player that worked fine in the house we rented for vacation, and now I know it wasn't my imagination.

I've tried to make adjustments to it, to no avail. internet says it's the player that is bad. I will upgrade at some point.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 20007
Joined: April 18 06, 7:38 pm

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by TimeForGuinness »

Schlich wrote:I wanna get a record player for pretty much the sole purpose of listening to radiohead. Not really just that, but almost.
Go get yourself an old Dual, Pioneer, Technics, Thorens, Marantz off of CL...get a new needle/cartridge (if needed) and you should be set. Otherwise you'll spend a chunk of change for a newer nice turntable (Music Hall / Pro-Ject)...not the Crosley POS. The older tables are nice because they're built like tanks, sound great, and you can get one pretty cheap before you figure out if you're serious about records or not.

Also, you might need a pre-amp depending on your receiver setup.

Also, don't put your speakers on the same surface as your turntable.

Also, get a nice pair of headphones and you'll be in dynamic range heaven.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
Posts: 26073
Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by Freed Roger »

TimeForGuinness wrote:...not the Crosley POS.
Was happy to get a turntable as a Father's day gift even when records sounded warbly wavering on the Crosley. then that sound started to bother me. my wife thought I was imagining it - but hearing records on a decent turntable elsewhere, and the internets confirmed -that is the way the turntable is. I've made some adjustments to the tone and speed, to know avail.

What's odd is she says that Euclid Records recommended she get the Crosley from Urban Outfitters. I guess Euclid sized the situation up as a gift for a non-serious audiofile, (which is an accurate assessment). but still, it's hard to like how it sounds out of whack, especially since most the vinyl buys are familiar old classics (i.e. Beatles).

Since the player with some records was about the most thoughtful gift they could have given me, I'm kind of stuck with John Lennon's voice sounding like a billy goat for a while,

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 20007
Joined: April 18 06, 7:38 pm

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by TimeForGuinness »

Freed Roger wrote:
TimeForGuinness wrote:...not the Crosley POS.
Was happy to get a turntable as a Father's day gift even when records sounded warbly wavering on the Crosley. then that sound started to bother me. my wife thought I was imagining it - but hearing records on a decent turntable elsewhere, and the internets confirmed -that is the way the turntable is. I've made some adjustments to the tone and speed, to know avail.

What's odd is she says that Euclid Records recommended she get the Crosley from Urban Outfitters. I guess Euclid sized the situation up as a gift for a non-serious audiofile, (which is an accurate assessment). but still, it's hard to like how it sounds out of whack, especially since most the vinyl buys are familiar old classics (i.e. Beatles).

Since the player with some records was about the most thoughtful gift they could have given me, I'm kind of stuck with John Lennon's voice sounding like a billy goat for a while,
That's odd because Euclid sells a decent Audio-Technica that would probably serve your needs (or did sell)...but I don't know the extent of your setup. I would also avoid any turntable that has an usb/mp3 converter in it.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
Posts: 26073
Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by Freed Roger »

TimeForGuinness wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
TimeForGuinness wrote:...not the Crosley POS.
What's odd is she says that Euclid Records recommended she get the Crosley from Urban Outfitters. I guess Euclid sized the situation up as a gift for a non-serious audiofile, (which is an accurate assessment). but still, it's hard to like how it sounds out of whack, especially since most the vinyl buys are familiar old classics (i.e. Beatles).
That's odd because Euclid sells a decent Audio-Technica that would probably serve your needs (or did sell)...but I don't know the extent of your setup. I would also avoid any turntable that has an usb/mp3 converter in it.
My wife mentioned this, was a bit confused as to why they suggested she get the Crosley. I dunno, maybe they saw Selena Gomez and Taylor Swift (for my daughter!) in that stack of records, or maybe they thought she'd scrap the whole idea if the cost and setup was too complicated.

Old nerds like me go to places like that. This was ratified by recent pics of their Wilco store concert. Their typical customer is not like my wife, and they probably didn't read the situation correctly.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 20007
Joined: April 18 06, 7:38 pm

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by TimeForGuinness »

Freed Roger wrote:
TimeForGuinness wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:
TimeForGuinness wrote:...not the Crosley POS.
What's odd is she says that Euclid Records recommended she get the Crosley from Urban Outfitters. I guess Euclid sized the situation up as a gift for a non-serious audiofile, (which is an accurate assessment). but still, it's hard to like how it sounds out of whack, especially since most the vinyl buys are familiar old classics (i.e. Beatles).
That's odd because Euclid sells a decent Audio-Technica that would probably serve your needs (or did sell)...but I don't know the extent of your setup. I would also avoid any turntable that has an usb/mp3 converter in it.
My wife mentioned this, was a bit confused as to why they suggested she get the Crosley. I dunno, maybe they saw Selena Gomez and Taylor Swift (for my daughter!) in that stack of records, or maybe they thought she'd scrap the whole idea if the cost and setup was too complicated.

Old nerds like me go to places like that. This was ratified by recent pics of their Wilco store concert. Their typical customer is not like my wife, and they probably didn't read the situation correctly.
FYI the Record Exchange on South Hampton has a lot of older/used turntables for sale (as well as receivers and pre-amps)...I'd check there to see what they have & recommend. It's an interesting store.

User avatar
stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother
Posts: 13380
Joined: April 17 06, 7:36 pm

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by stlouie_lipp »

FWIW I went retro with my set up. Sansui turntable, receiver, and speakers. The turntable is the newest piece of equipment and was made in 1983. The receiver is from the 70's and speakers were made in '82. I started with a decent turntable and a Sony receiver which sounded OK, but I was looking for a deeper sound. The set up wasn't cheap, but the sound is incredible. Most record stores now seem to sell stereo equipment. Start with something cheaper, get to know the guy who runs the record store, and ask him for advice on the equipment once you decide you want to commit. In my experience people who run record stores are straight shooters and won't try to sell you crap (especially if you are a regular).

Post Reply