This Day in Baseball History....

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

This Day in Baseball History....

Post by CardsofSTL »

Longest strike in Major League Baseball history ends
Major League Baseball players are sent back to work after the longest strike in baseball history ends on this day in 1995. Because of the strike, the 1994 World Series was cancelled; it was the first time baseball did not crown a champion in 89 years.

During the negotiation of a new collective bargaining agreement, tensions between owners and players had arisen over the owners’ desire to institute a cap on player salaries. Claiming financial hardship, owners argued that player salaries, which had risen exponentially since the 1970s, had become unsustainable and, if not contained, would bankrupt the teams. The players, led by union head Donald Fehr, refused to agree to a cap; they pointed out that they had been underpaid for most of the sport’s history and called salary caps just the latest form of exploitation by owners.

The collective bargaining agreement between players and owners was not renewed until 1996. When that agreement expired in 2002, owners and players, having learned the unforgiving nature of their fans in 1995, were able to ratify a new deal without a work stoppage.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Re: This Day in Baseball History....

Post by Radbird »

April 1, 1987 - St. Louis sends highly-regarded youngsters Andy Van Slyke, Mike LaValliere, and Mike Dunne to Pittsburgh in exchange for All-Star catcher Tony Pena.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Radbird wrote:April 1, 1987 - St. Louis sends highly-regarded youngsters Andy Van Slyke, Mike LaValliere, and Mike Dunne to Pittsburgh in exchange for All-Star catcher Tony Pena.
Yeah, that one didn't quite work out. Not on the level of Broglio-Brock but it was painful watching Van Slyke perform all those years after.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Why did we make that trade again? Van Slyke unhappy?

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

Because Van Slyke couldn't do this.

From a website called RetroSimba
“In Tony Pena, we are getting one of the premier players in the game,” Maxvill said to the Associated Press.

Added manager Whitey Herzog: “When you get a ballplayer of that caliber, you’ve done something. We are really happy. We paid a good price to get him, but it was worth it.”

The Cardinals had entered the 1986 season with Mike Heath as their starting catcher. He couldn’t hit (.205 in 65 games) and the Cardinals dealt him to the Tigers in August that season.

Herzog figured to utilize a platoon of LaValliere and Steve Lake at catcher in 1987, but the thought of having two slow-footed, light-hitting catchers concerned him. Thrift, looking to lift a team that had finished 64-98 in 1986, dangled Pena as trade bait.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

April 4, 2017

Stephen Piscotty's dangerous journey around the base paths ends when he crosses the plate in the bottom of fifth inning, scoring the Cardinals' only run in the team's 2-1 loss to the Cubs at Busch Stadium. After reaching first base as the result of being hit by a pitch from Jake Arrieta, the Redbird outfielder, attempting to take second on a wild pitch, is nailed in the elbow with the ball thrown from catcher Wilson Contreras, and then sliding into home plate he is struck on the helmet with an errant throw by second baseman Javier Baez.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Also on April 4, 1998

Mark McGwire begins what will be a historic season, homering in the fourth consecutive game to tie Willie Mays' National League record for most homers to start a season. Big Mac's three-run blast in the sixth inning helps the Cardinals beat the Padres, 8-6.

I mention this because I saw it highlighted on the Cardinals home page; and I was at that game. We drove from my college campus in Kentucky and bought tickets at the door; sat at the very top row on the RF side just in foul territory...it was so cold.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

1997: Everyone remembers the glorious 90's fondly I am sure.
With a 3-2 loss to Houston at the Astrodome, the Cardinals remain winless after the first six games of the season. It is the Redbirds' worst start in the 106-year history of the franchise.

Radbird

Post by Radbird »

April 7

Ken Forsch, who almost didn't make the start due to swelling in his right arm caused by an insect bite, holds the Braves hitless, throwing the earliest no-hitter in baseball history. The Astros hurler's no-no makes the Forsch brothers the first siblings to both accomplish the feat, with Bob, as a member of the Cardinals, throwing a no-hitter against the Phillies last season.
Chris Sabo, playing in just his second big league game, ties a major league record, handling eleven assists at third base in the Reds' 8-1 victory over the Cardinals at Riverfront Stadium. The Cincinnati freshman infielder will beat out Chicago's Mark Grace for Rookie of the Year honors this season.

Radbird

Post by Radbird »

April 8

As partial compensation for the loss of Curt Flood, who refuses to report to Philadelphia, the Cardinals send minor league prospect Willie Montanez to the Phillies. The former St. Louis outfielder takes exception to being traded without his consent, ultimately appealing his challenge of the reserve clause, unsuccessfully, to the U.S. Supreme Court.
Braves outfielder Hank Aaron passes Babe Ruth as the all-time home run leader with his 715th, going deep in the fourth inning off Dodger hurler Al Downing in Atlanta's home opener. 'Hammerin' Hank' equaled the Bambino's mark on Opening Day in Cincinnati.
In a 14-8 Mariners victory over the Indians at the Kingdome, M's pitcher Josias Manzanillo, who doesn't wear a protective cup, is hit the groin by a Manny Ramirez 107 mph line drive. Now a firm believer in the use of protective gear, the 29 year-old reliever will be put on the 15-day disabled list for surgery needed to repair a tear in his testicles.
Ouch...