2018 MLB Draft

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Re: 2018 MLB Draft

Post by phins »

Happy Birthday, Griffin Roberts. Turns 22 today.

Tags:

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Looks like teams are staying away from Luke Heimlich.
2:47
Ray Liotta as Shoeless Joe: Luke Heimlich did not get drafted. Are you elated or ecstatic?

Dan Szymborski: I’m happy he didn’t get drafted as I don’t think he should see a large bonus.

Dan Szymborski: But I also think that it’s not unreasonable for him to pursue a baseball career.

Dan Szymborski: There’s a large chance that he’s a complete douchebag given his alleged actions that he pled to.

2:48
Dan Szymborski: But I also believe in criminal justice reform. At some point, when the criminal and civil recourses have gone to their end, does the person have a moral right to resume what they did in society?

2:49
Dan Szymborski: Yeah, on a level, you don’t want to see someone, if they’re a pedophile, obtain wealth, the retributive nature of all of us being there.

2:49
Dan Szymborski: And what does it say about us as a society if we’re cool with Heimlich being a sanitation worker instead? That we see certain jobs as a lower caste that he gets to be.

2:50
Dan Szymborski: Do we tell everyone in jail for something awful that when they’ve served their time, they can come to society, so long as they remain poor and do jobs that most people balk at? That seems a path for recidivism.

2:51
Dan Szymborski: It’s a very tough issue.

Dan Szymborski: Sorry to go on so much.

Dan Szymborski: I’m very torn on the whole thing

phins

Post by phins »

Lars Nootbaar signs for $150,000, about $13,100 in savings against the slot.

phins

Post by phins »

Edgar Gonzalez signs for full slot $255,900. Another guy I had expected to be well under-slot.

Shows his numbers to to hitter, maxed out frame, throws a sinker at 91-92, decent slider. He's a bullpen-only guy and most likely a 7th inning ROOGY upside.

Really surprised they paid over $250,000 for that.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

phins wrote:Lars Nootbaar signs for $150,000, about $13,100 in savings against the slot.
I hope Nootbaar doesn't tootblan too much

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Looks like they signed Vargas as well. Have all the early picks signed except for Gingery signed I think.

phins

Post by phins »

They also signed Francisco Justo. An intriguing Juco 1st year player who is a bit older for that stage (19.5).

That absolutely means no Soularie or Calilao, which stinks. Jaden Hill was never signing. It's interesting we haven't signed Chris Holba or Colin Schmid yet, either. Both are mildly interesting pitches (righty and lefty, respectively). Schmid is young for his draft class.

Edit: Holba has signed. Still waiting on Schmid.
Last edited by phins on June 14 18, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phins

Post by phins »

Figured out why Justo is older for a J1 player. His father was injured in an accident his senior year so he quit playing baseball and got a job to pay the bills for his family. After his father recovered and he had graduated from HS he moved to the Dominican to train for baseball. When he moved back a year later he made the Monroe College team and was dominant from jump street striking out 11 hitters.

I think I'm going to do a draft write-up rather than just put down random thoughts in this thread. Cards are at least taking a chance on a kid who is mature enough to handle things and a 6-4 frame that has gotten up to 94 mph. Fastball/curveball guy who throws strikes.

phins

Post by phins »

Is it essentially down to just a few players for the draft class. Everyone else has signed. Michael Brettell is not on the JC roster because he is Canadian and is waiting on a work Visa for the United States.

Alerick Soularie, Jaden Hill, and Kendrick Calilao are going to school.

Liam Sabino and Cole Kreuter are contemplating going back to school (Pitt Junior who transferred from Vanderbilt, and Cal-Irvine respectively) and haven't signed to this point.

Zack Gahagan and Brandon Riley are playing in the CWS still for North Carolina.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

phins wrote:Liam Sabino and Cole Kreuter are contemplating going back to school (Pitt Junior who transferred from Vanderbilt, and Cal-Irvine respectively) and haven't signed to this point.

Zack Gahagan and Brandon Riley are playing in the CWS still for North Carolina.
looks like sabino and kreuter both signed
• The Cardinals finalized deals for their 35th and 36th round selections Wednesday, signing third basemen Liam Sabino, of Pittsburgh, and Cole Kreuter, of UC-Irvine, respectively. The Cardinals have signed 36 of their 41 draft picks. Three of their draft picks — Texas Tech’s Steve Gingery (fourth round), North Carolina’s Brandon Riley (14th round), and UNC’s Zack Gahagan (39th round) — remain active in the College World Series and cannot sign until eliminated.
• The Cardinals also signed undrafted free agents Jacob Sylvester, a righthanded pitcher from Mid-America Nazarene, and Joe Friday Jr., a catcher from Virginia Tech.
https://www.stltoday.com/sports/basebal ... 10a05.html