Covid-19: The history of pandemics
Throughout history, nothing has killed more human beings than infectious disease. Covid-19 shows how vulnerable we remain – and how we can avoid similar pandemics in the future.
The novel coronavirus pandemic, known as Covid-19, could not have been more predictable. From my own reporting, I knew this first-hand. In October 2019, I attended a simulation involving a fictional pandemic, caused by a novel coronavirus, that killed 65 million people, and in the spring of 2017 I wrote a feature story for TIME magazine on the subject. The magazine cover read: “Warning: the world is not ready for another pandemic”.
There was little special about my insight. Over the past 15 years, there has been no shortage of articles and white papers issuing dire warnings that a global pandemic involving a new respiratory disease was only a matter of time. On BBC Future in 2018, we reported that experts believed a flu pandemic was only a matter of time and that there could be millions of undiscovered viruses in the world, with one expert telling us, “I think the chances that the next pandemic will be caused by a novel virus are quite good.”
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2020 ... -pandemics
Coronavirus
- mikechamp
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 11714
- Joined: April 17 06, 5:05 pm
- Location: Southwestern Illinois
Re: Coronavirus
I haven't posted in this thread because I'm trying to limit info overload, and I don't want to get too depressed. However, I still read a lot and, as many of you have seen from me over the years I've been on here, I like to share information from various sources/experts. After reading this article (which is full of links to other helpful studies, articles and sources, I was immediately inspired to share it here with all of my virtual friends. Apologies if this has already been posted in here, but as of 9:30am this morning, it hadn't.
Online
- ghostrunner
- GOAT
- Posts: 30818
- Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm
Re: Coronavirus
A little politics in this tweet, but it's informative
Online
- ghostrunner
- GOAT
- Posts: 30818
- Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm
Re: Coronavirus
Don't seem to be many good options in this situation.
-
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
- "I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
- Posts: 27563
- Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
- Location: Thinking of the Children
Re: Coronavirus
Here’s another website that’s trying to project patients vs beds for each state. This one seems a lot more realistic though still well short in ny.
https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections
https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections
- JCShutout
- MacGyver of Underwear
- Posts: 13354
- Joined: April 18 06, 7:53 am
- Location: South City
Re: Coronavirus
Geez. Keep those workers safe for cripes sake.
And now I feel less silly about putting all deliveries and mail in a quarantine area of the basement for 5 days.
And now I feel less silly about putting all deliveries and mail in a quarantine area of the basement for 5 days.
-
tlombard
- tl;dr
- Posts: 5042
- Joined: May 21 09, 12:41 pm
Re: Coronavirus
It's been six days since my GF was at the gas station where the infected worker was working and so symptoms for either of us so far so I'm starting to relax a little. Between finding out about that hitting the pothole and blowing out a tire, it has been a long week.
Thankfully with neither of us showing symptoms yet (we're about halfway through I guess) I'm feeling a bit better about it and I needed new tires anyway so it wasn't a completely unexpected expense. I was just hoping to put it off until next month. I'm just waiting to hear back from my dad to see if he can get the right size in today so I can drop it off soon or else I'm going to have to go to NTB and pay a little more. I need the car back in good shape because I do not feel comfortable driving around on an 11 year old spare.
Thankfully with neither of us showing symptoms yet (we're about halfway through I guess) I'm feeling a bit better about it and I needed new tires anyway so it wasn't a completely unexpected expense. I was just hoping to put it off until next month. I'm just waiting to hear back from my dad to see if he can get the right size in today so I can drop it off soon or else I'm going to have to go to NTB and pay a little more. I need the car back in good shape because I do not feel comfortable driving around on an 11 year old spare.
- stlouie_lipp
- Hallelujah Brother
- Posts: 13380
- Joined: April 17 06, 7:36 pm
Re: Coronavirus
Holy big brother!
-
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
- "I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
- Posts: 27563
- Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
- Location: Thinking of the Children
Re: Coronavirus
Things about to get fugly in NOLA.
- IMADreamer
- Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.
- Posts: 12891
- Joined: December 6 10, 1:09 am
- Location: Illinois
Re: Coronavirus
So last Saturday a party bus of 30 people from here went over to Missouri to bar hop because the bars here are closed. These people are all grown adults, mostly over 50. They should have known better and now I feel like they have put our entire community at risk. Facebook is a [expletive] storm right now with lots of people livid about it. Why does it matter now? Well at one of their stops 5 people in that town are suspected of having Covid. Those 5 people all worked at one of the bars this bus went to. [expletive] believable how selfish and stupid people are.
-
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
- "I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
- Posts: 27563
- Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
- Location: Thinking of the Children
Re: Coronavirus
It really is unbelievable how stupid people are.



