Coronavirus

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
User avatar
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn
Posts: 43278
Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Coronavirus

Post by heyzeus »

I like to hear good news, Thrill.

User avatar
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite
Posts: 37260
Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Location: Huis Clos

Re: Coronavirus

Post by lukethedrifter »

Fat_Bulldog wrote: ↑
April 7 20, 11:05 am
I hope everything is okay thrill.

My sister has a very compromised immune system due to chronic health issue. Her husband is on the front lines at a local hospital. The hospital and her doctor have recommended they stay away from eachother.

So, she's moved in with us for now. We are having fun and making the best of it. Eating good food, having good drinks and listening to music.
Talk about making lemonade. Good for you.

User avatar
Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese
Posts: 12861
Joined: May 9 06, 12:41 pm
Location: Drunk

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

lukethedrifter wrote: ↑
April 7 20, 10:46 pm
Fat_Bulldog wrote: ↑
April 7 20, 11:05 am
I hope everything is okay thrill.

My sister has a very compromised immune system due to chronic health issue. Her husband is on the front lines at a local hospital. The hospital and her doctor have recommended they stay away from eachother.

So, she's moved in with us for now. We are having fun and making the best of it. Eating good food, having good drinks and listening to music.
Talk about making lemonade. Good for you.
As difficult as this is for me and not just health issues, just uncertainty about life as we know it, my kids, etc. I have a lot to be thankful for. I am trying to be grateful for each day despite anything.

User avatar
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass
Posts: 14665
Joined: April 20 06, 8:43 pm
Location: Please use blue font for the sarcasm impaired.

Re: Coronavirus

Post by GeddyWrox »

OK, so I've been wondering about life after quarantine is over.

Clearly this is a world-changing event. Life altering for just about everyone. But I wonder to what degree. What things will go back to being normal? What things will never be the same?

User avatar
Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Posts: 25225
Joined: April 17 06, 12:27 pm
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Leroy »

The town I spent the last couple years in just shut down the strip club. [expletive] just got real.

Online
User avatar
ghostrunner
GOAT
Posts: 30814
Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Post by ghostrunner »

GeddyWrox wrote: ↑
April 8 20, 12:37 pm
OK, so I've been wondering about life after quarantine is over.

Clearly this is a world-changing event. Life altering for just about everyone. But I wonder to what degree. What things will go back to being normal? What things will never be the same?
I wonder how significant the environmental benefits are. I've heard stories about air quality being better, and obviously consumer behavior has changed. A few industries are probably having to ramp up while many are scaling back significantly. Less individual trips to stores, but increased deliveries and shipping.

I'd think this situation would show to some extent how much individual behavior matters vs corporate behavior. Though those two are somewhat related.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
Posts: 26073
Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Freed Roger »

ghostrunner wrote: ↑
April 8 20, 1:50 pm
GeddyWrox wrote: ↑
April 8 20, 12:37 pm
OK, so I've been wondering about life after quarantine is over.

Clearly this is a world-changing event. Life altering for just about everyone. But I wonder to what degree. What things will go back to being normal? What things will never be the same?
I wonder how significant the environmental benefits are. I've heard stories about air quality being better, and obviously consumer behavior has changed. A few industries are probably having to ramp up while many are scaling back significantly. Less individual trips to stores, but increased deliveries and shipping.

I'd think this situation would show to some extent how much individual behavior matters vs corporate behavior. Though those two are somewhat related.
Interesting topic. Maybe a new thread-worthy. I am sad to say I am seeing more pollution , in the form of trash out in the Woodlands and waterways pathways roadsides.

GOP Environmental rollbacks are leaving valuable resources under protected. We are behind the 8 ball here. Air quality may have improved temporarily. Wait until wildfire season starts soon. Debbie downer.

If American humans aren't bound and determined to mess our environment up one way, we'll do it another.

User avatar
Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Posts: 25225
Joined: April 17 06, 12:27 pm
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Leroy »

I look forward to 'First Take' being a show with two annoying dudes ranting about all sports, and not a two hour daily conversation on Tom Brady.

Online
User avatar
ghostrunner
GOAT
Posts: 30814
Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Post by ghostrunner »

Freed Roger wrote: ↑
April 8 20, 1:57 pm
ghostrunner wrote: ↑
April 8 20, 1:50 pm
GeddyWrox wrote: ↑
April 8 20, 12:37 pm
OK, so I've been wondering about life after quarantine is over.

Clearly this is a world-changing event. Life altering for just about everyone. But I wonder to what degree. What things will go back to being normal? What things will never be the same?
I wonder how significant the environmental benefits are. I've heard stories about air quality being better, and obviously consumer behavior has changed. A few industries are probably having to ramp up while many are scaling back significantly. Less individual trips to stores, but increased deliveries and shipping.

I'd think this situation would show to some extent how much individual behavior matters vs corporate behavior. Though those two are somewhat related.
Interesting topic. Maybe a new thread-worthy. I am sad to say I am seeing more pollution , in the form of trash out in the Woodlands and waterways pathways roadsides.

GOP Environmental rollbacks are leaving valuable resources under protected. We are behind the 8 ball here. Air quality may have improved temporarily. Wait until wildfire season starts soon. Debbie downer.

If American humans aren't bound and determined to mess our environment up one way, we'll do it another.
Not that that stuff is harmless, but ive seen a lot of recent pushback on the focus on personal responsibility re:environmentalism. Not that people shouldn’t make individual good choices, just that it’s a drop in the bucket compared to production of consumer goods and agriculture and big oil.

A 30,60,90 day streak at 50% in those areas would seem to be huge. Maybe more effective than a 5 or 10% reduction over a longer span. I’m just pulling those numbers out of nowhere as an example. I don’t know if that kind of break has real long term benefits. Maybe even delaying that 10-12 year point of no return date? I’m curious whether agriculture has fundamentally changed, but shipment and production of physical non-essential goods has to be down significantly. Oil and gas usage too.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
Posts: 26073
Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Freed Roger »

ghostrunner wrote: ↑
April 8 20, 3:48 pm

Not that that stuff is harmless, but ive seen a lot of recent pushback on the focus on personal responsibility re:environmentalism. Not that people shouldn’t make individual good choices, just that it’s a drop in the bucket compared to production of consumer goods and agriculture and big oil.
Agreed. I think on GRB there was an article shared how the famous Iron Eyes Cody ad campaign was funded by aluminum industry. Gave the people something to feel good about while they were polluting away. Regulation is a bigger difference maker. I.e. clean air act. Though we are now failing on all fronts - personal resp. and regulatory .
-------‐--
Related: I suffered thru all of Handmaid's Tale series last year- and lately have been thinking about how the author has the right-wingers Gideon , being the ones cleaning the post-apocolyptic environment up (using slave labor until they died...-but hey.)

Maybe Trumping GOP missing their chance to turn environmental causes into theirs. Their friends in Fossil fuel industry have been hedging towards that day when we have to change our ways. They are into the alternatives energies as well as getting patents for biodegradable stuff for drinks and packaging. They waiting on the govt to force it with standards and subsidies.

Post Reply