Coronavirus
- CardsofSTL
- All Hail the GDT Master
- Posts: 69911
- Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
- Location: Columbus, OH
Re: Coronavirus
Any link to the increased cases and the crowds of protestors?
- Joe Shlabotnik
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 24273
- Joined: October 12 06, 2:21 pm
- Location: Baseball Ref Bullpen
- Contact:
Re: Coronavirus
I haven't seen any yet. By next weekend for sure if there's going to be any. Tulsa OK in two weeks will be interesting too.CardsofSTL wrote: ↑June 21 20, 3:27 pmAny link to the increased cases and the crowds of protestors?
Last edited by Joe Shlabotnik on June 21 20, 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- sighyoung
- Mayor of GRB
- Posts: 38623
- Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
- Location: Louisville
Re: Coronavirus
The protests don't seem to be a cause in the uptick in cases.CardsofSTL wrote: ↑June 21 20, 3:27 pmAny link to the increased cases and the crowds of protestors?
- thrill
- bronoun enthusiast
- Posts: 30539
- Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
- Location: barely online
Re: Coronavirus
Couple of people I've been in close contact with got tested this weekend after experiencing symptoms.
I've moved to Orlando, and in that time, it seems like it's become a hot zone, which isn't surprising given everything I saw during the re-opening a month ago. Don't think we're going to get the NBA and MLS restarting here at Disney given the numbers. Which is a huge bummer, because if I have to quarantine for two weeks, a little sportz would really help pass the time.
Was speaking to my parents in Phoenix this weekend and let them know my situaish.
Me: But you guys are being careful, right?
Mom: Oh yeah. Very. I cancelled my trip to Illinois and am just going to stay here.
Dad: Oh yeah we're careful.
5 minutes later in the conversation...
Dad: Yeah I'm going to a party at the Hells Angels Phoenix clubhouse tonight. Talk about guys who refuse to wear masks!
Me: Oh. So you're not being careful.
Dad: Well, yeah, I guess not.
[expletive] hell.
I've moved to Orlando, and in that time, it seems like it's become a hot zone, which isn't surprising given everything I saw during the re-opening a month ago. Don't think we're going to get the NBA and MLS restarting here at Disney given the numbers. Which is a huge bummer, because if I have to quarantine for two weeks, a little sportz would really help pass the time.
Was speaking to my parents in Phoenix this weekend and let them know my situaish.
Me: But you guys are being careful, right?
Mom: Oh yeah. Very. I cancelled my trip to Illinois and am just going to stay here.
Dad: Oh yeah we're careful.
5 minutes later in the conversation...
Dad: Yeah I'm going to a party at the Hells Angels Phoenix clubhouse tonight. Talk about guys who refuse to wear masks!
Me: Oh. So you're not being careful.
Dad: Well, yeah, I guess not.
[expletive] hell.
- mikechamp
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 11727
- Joined: April 17 06, 5:05 pm
- Location: Southwestern Illinois
Re: Coronavirus
An eyewitness report from a PGA golfer:
Justin Thomas says Hilton Head not taking coronavirus seriously. 'It's an absolute zoo around here'
A day after Nick Watney became the first PGA Tour player diagnosed with COVID-19 during competition, Justin Thomas felt the surroundings may have contributed to the positive test.
Thomas, speaking Saturday morning at Harbour Town, said he’s alarmed by the lack of safety measures in the area. "Yeah, obviously, I was bummed [about Watney]. I don't want to—it's a shame because ... we have done such a great job these first two weeks,” Thomas said. “I mean, no offense to Hilton Head, but they're seeming to not take it very seriously. It's an absolute zoo around here. There's people everywhere. The beaches are absolutely packed. Every restaurant, from what I've seen when I've been driving by, is absolutely crowded. So I would say it's no coincidence that there's got to be a lot of stuff going on around here. Unfortunately, that's not on Nick because I know he's very cautious and has done everything he can, but I would say a lot of people in this area of Hilton Head just aren't.”
https://sports.yahoo.com/justin-thomas- ... 00185.html
- heyzeus
- Everday Unicorn
- Posts: 43292
- Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
- Location: Austin, TX
Re: Coronavirus
Wait, Thrill's dad hangs out with Hell's Angels?
- thrill
- bronoun enthusiast
- Posts: 30539
- Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
- Location: barely online
Re: Coronavirus
Yeah. It's his thing.
- GeddyWrox
- Caught you a delicious bass
- Posts: 14665
- Joined: April 20 06, 8:43 pm
- Location: Please use blue font for the sarcasm impaired.
-
Jocephus
- 99% conan clips
- Posts: 64992
- Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm
Re: Coronavirus
based on the graph i look at, today is 2nd most cases...with still a few hours left in the day
- mikechamp
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 11727
- Joined: April 17 06, 5:05 pm
- Location: Southwestern Illinois
Re: Coronavirus
As we say in baseball, small sample size warning. But early returns are trending negatively:
COVID-19 antibodies may fade in as little as 2 months, study says
As the world grapples with the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, a new study suggests that antibodies -- the proteins produced by the immune system that can grant protection against reinfection -- may fade in as little as two months after infection in certain people who have recovered from the virus. The study was conducted in China and published in Nature Medicine.
Specifically, the study's authors found that people with COVID-19 who never develop symptoms may see their antibodies fade more quickly than those who tested positive for the virus and also came down with its tell-tale symptoms. The study, though small and with limitations, provides greater insight into a topic that mystifies scientists examining this new coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2. Most people who have recovered from COVID-19 develop antibodies, but the extent and duration of that protection remains unknown.
The data suggests that asymptomatic people had a weaker immune response to the virus, echoing NIAID Director Anthony Fauci's concerns about varying antibody protection.
Past studies on SARS and MERS, two related coronaviruses that have led to prior outbreaks in people, have found that antibodies last for at least a year. In comparison, this study suggests that antibody levels for the new virus, SARS-CoV-2, may drop much more quickly. "Given that antibodies are likely a component of COVID-19 protective immunity, this is important to confirm in larger studies," said Dr. Beth Kirkpatrick, chair of the Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics at the University of Vermont.
"I think that you're going to see as the immune response wanes in these respiratory infections, there is a possibility that you could get reinfected," said Dr. Robert Garry, professor at the Tulane University School of Medicine. Garry cautioned, however, that it's too soon to know what level of immunity is protective. Scientists will know more as they get closer to developing a coronavirus vaccine, but for now, it would have to provide longer-lasting immunity than a natural infection, he said. "That's hard to do," said Garry.
"Until there's a vaccine, things are not really going to be able to be relaxed to the point where people were doing the things that they were doing before," Garry said.
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/covid-19-anti ... ories.html



