Objectively the outdoors has been shown to be a real mitigator. I read somewhere it’s something like 19x more likely to pass indoors. That goes for all the beach and lake pictures that some people have gotten upset about too. I posted one myself. There’s likely some increase in risk with no masks and with more crowding, and I’m sure some protestors and beach goers have also shared indoor spaces at times so there may be some relation, but I feel pretty comfortable with the protests themselves and it does seem like mask wearing has been on par or better with my grocery, for example.cardinalkarp wrote: ↑July 4 20, 12:05 pmpioneer98 wrote: ↑July 3 20, 7:52 pmYep. This is why the protests didn't spread the virus a lot - people were not eating and drinking at the protests (maybe beyond bottled water or something). Also, protests are outdoors and there is a lot more space to keep your distance. Eating, drinking, partying, etc seem like what spreads it the most of all the "normal" activities
I have to say, I vehemently disagree w/ this. The protests w/o a doubt caused a lot of spread, which I think is why we are seeing a lot of younger people getting the virus (on top of bars and things like that reopening). This is the liberals (and I’m liberal) way of making excuses, and while I think the protests were completely justified, to say they didn’t help spread the virus just seems really disingenuous.
Related to this, Zeynep Tufekci is a really good follow on Twitter for objective coverage.


