Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Mark Polishuk that occurred on November 20.

Similar amount of Q&As as usual. I included 2 bonus Q&As: one about predicting the length of contracts handed out this offseason, and one about the TOR catchers (since people are thinking the Cards might go there for Yadi's successor.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-14428.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Who’s behind home plate for the Cards' season opener?

Mark Polishuk
Hard to say, umpires probably don't have their schedules yet

Non-snarky answer... Christian Vazquez was my guess to STL in the free agent picks contest, so I'll stick with that in lieu of more information.
Which would be a better fit for the White Sox: signing Quintana or trading for John Means even though the Means has a lost season?

Mark Polishuk
I tend to think Quintana, because he's a better bet to eat innings than a guy coming off TJ surgery.
What is wrong with Christian Yelich? He’s just not putting up the numbers we are used to.

Mark Polishuk
It seems like the injuries really sapped his power, which is especially worrisome since back problems aren't usually the kind of injury that can be entirely corrected.
Jack Flaherty… trade him or extend him?

Mark Polishuk
Given their past conflicts about pre-arb salaries, the arb hearings, and now Flaherty's drop in form, he doesn't seem like a long-term fit in St. Louis.
Will the Pirates leave the winter meetings next month looking like a better team? Does Reynolds get moved in a blockbuster deal?

Mark Polishuk
1. Maybe?
2. Probably not
Any chance the Cards get in the conversation for Judge?

Mark Polishuk
Highly unlikely. It would require a commitment far far beyond what the Cardinals have been willing to spend in free agency.
I've read a wide range of opinions on the Cubs 2023 season, but I think they still have so many roster holes. Right now they have one middle infielder, two outfielders, less than half a rotation, then a stable of part time/complimentary type guys. How close do you think they can realistically get to competing in a weak NL central?

Mark Polishuk
You said it yourself... it's a weak division. I might be a little higher on the Cubs' current roster than you are, but with a few good acquisitions, I can see Chicago right in the mix.
Who would be your choice for Cardinals catcher if you were in charge in St. Louis?

Mark Polishuk
I would trade for Murphy. I think he has a lot of upside, and could blossom with a team like St. Louis.
Will the Brewers deal Burnes soon? Or keep him and Woodruff and add a bat?

Mark Polishuk
While I do think the Brewers will eventually trade at least one of those two pitchers, it might not necessarily happen this winter. There's probably a better chance the Brewers keep both and try to win again in 2023, and then explore a trade next winter.
What are the chances the Marlins swing a deal with the Cubs for Lopez. Cubs sending Madrigal and a good prospect.

Mark Polishuk
Miami would want more than that.
If Tampa and St Louis can develop players consistently, why don't other teams mimic?

Mark Polishuk
Given how teams are constantly hiring Rays personnel, there's plenty of copycat action happening. But, needless to say, it's hard to do.
Do you think we're going to see less long-term deals given out this year than originally expected as teams are going to want to maintain flexibility?

Mark Polishuk
Probably not. Teams would love to have shorter-term contracts in theory, but when the rubber meets the road and 7-8 year deals are required to actually land a top target...
Would Danny Jansen for Pablo Lopez get a conversation started?

Mark Polishuk
It would, except then the Marlins just ask "hey, so what about Moreno or Kirk?" That's the issue with catching depth... the Jays will always first be facing offers for the more sought-after backstops.

Not to say that Jansen doesn't have value in his own right, but a lot of teams would probably rank him third among the available options.

Tags:

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Re: Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by CardsofSTL »

Who's the drunk that asked if the Cards would sign Judge??? 🤣🤣🤣

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

They didn't ask if they would sign, they asked:
Any chance the Cards get in the conversation for Judge?
Like Mo: 'How much does Judge want?'
Agent: 'X dollars'.
Mo: 'Sorry, wrong number."

Spider John
Hall Of Famer

Post by Spider John »

Agent, "Mo, how many times have I told you to quit calling me about this type of free agent. We both know you're not going to spend that kind of money."