Would you take a championship in 2023 if it meant five losing seasons afterwards?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball

Would you take a championship in 2023 if it meant five losing seasons afterwards?

Yep
29%
Nope
61%
Leroy
3%
A nice piece of fish
6%

Total votes: 31

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Re: Would you take a championship in 2023 if it meant five losing seasons afterwards?

Post by dmarx114 »

ghostrunner wrote:
November 30 22, 3:11 pm
I’m just saying no to a guaranteed 5 losing seasons. Sounds miserable. And going off our track record. 3 or 4 out 5 being competitive seems reasonable.

If we were Pirates fans I’d probably answer differently.
Exactly. Very reasonable to assume 5 competitive seasons since we have yet to not have one under Mo.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: Would you take a championship in 2023 if it meant five losing seasons afterwards?

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Meh. This version of competitive ain't it for me.

I'd go one farther: I'd take the World Series and guarantee five straight losing seasons with the Cubs winning the next five.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Now that is just crazy talk.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

You know, the question doesn't actually define "afterwards." What duration of time are we talking about here? It could be a WS win in 2023, followed by 5 losing seasons spread out over an undefined period of time, and not necessarily consecutive losing season.

And @heyzeus calls himself a lawyer :wink:

I COULD DRIVE A MACK TRUCK THROUGH THIS CONTRACT

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

G. Keenan wrote:
November 30 22, 3:28 pm
You know, the question doesn't actually define "afterwards." What duration of time are we talking about here? It could be a WS win in 2023, followed by 5 losing seasons spread out over an undefined period of time, and not necessarily consecutive losing season.

AND YET YOU STILL SAID NO

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Well I mean it’s not like the choice is between current reality and losing. I think payroll should go up and we should go after elite players once in a while.

But I’d take 2004 over 2006 for example. Title and all.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
November 30 22, 3:30 pm
G. Keenan wrote:
November 30 22, 3:28 pm

AND YET YOU STILL SAID NO
I'm conditioned to accept online Terms & Conditions without reading the fine print.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
November 30 22, 3:02 pm
I do think it's interesting that a lot of people are assuming you are automatically getting five competitive years if you say no to the guaranteed title, when the question says nothing of the sort.
OTOH they could win multiple titles in that timeframe if you don't take the guaranteed championship and subsequent losing, right? I'm not signing this contract until Heyzeus clarifies a few things.

I voted no but I had to think about it. I'd rather enjoy hundreds of baseball games, but the only losing seasons in my 25 years of fandom were on the heels of the home run record and and a World Series win, so I don't really know if I hate it or not.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Absolutely would take 5 losing seasons for a WS championship. Can't and don't watch 90% of regular season games anyway, so those 5 seasons would be no different than what I currently do.

Why only worry about the last 4-7 games in October/November? Easy, so you can talk [expletive] to all your cubs/astros/whoever friends. I've never once said, well, sure the cubs won in whatever year, but the Cardinals won more regular season games the last 10 years than the cubs or they made more NLCS the past decade than the cubs or whatever....because that's not how trash talk works.

Also, just use analytics, you knuckleheads.

Let's define success as the binary term of winning the WS championship because this is professional sports, not kindergarten soccer. You are given a scenario where you are guaranteed success 1 time in 6 years. That is a 100% probability of success in a 6 year time frame. Using the 2022 Cardinals as the status quo for the next 6 years, and giving them a 10% probability, which seems generous, to win the WS, they're going to have less than 100% probability, 47% to be exact, of success.

I guess you could argue you'd take that drop off if it meant continuing to have a 90+ win team year in/year out. And, you'd have the outside shot of winning multiple championships instead of one. But, that's just silly talking. The statistically correct answer is one championship, five losing seasons if you want to be successful.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

haltz wrote:
November 30 22, 3:51 pm
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
November 30 22, 3:02 pm
I do think it's interesting that a lot of people are assuming you are automatically getting five competitive years if you say no to the guaranteed title, when the question says nothing of the sort.
OTOH they could win multiple titles in that timeframe if you don't take the guaranteed championship and subsequent losing, right? I'm not signing this contract until Heyzeus clarifies a few things.

I voted no but I had to think about it. I'd rather enjoy hundreds of baseball games, but the only losing seasons in my 25 years of fandom were on the heels of the home run record and and a World Series win, so I don't really know if I hate it or not.
That's the way that I understood it.