Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Finalized!)

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
Locked
jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
Posts: 50393
Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Both pass physicals)

Post by jim »

Richie Allen wrote:
Michael wrote:I suspect TLR started treating Rolen differently once his performance went south. Didn't TLR say something to that effect?

Paraphrasing: "If he wants to be treated like a superstar then he's going to have to start playing like one."
I remember reading something like that. Can't imagine Rolen had much respect for him after that.

I've said it a number of times and I still believe it; there appears to be no "right guy" and "wrong guy" in this LaRussa v Rolen issue, as much as we'd like to place the blame squarely on one of their shoulders (no pun intended). They've both played it the wrong way from what I've heard described about the two of them.

I tend to agree Richie to an extent, but a huge part of a managers job is to keep these things in check, which is why I put the blame squarely on #10's shoulders.

User avatar
cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 18723
Joined: May 4 06, 8:44 am

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Both pass physicals)

Post by cardinalkarp »

- It was Rolen's lack of trust after the initial treatment and surgeries on his shoulder that were the beginning of the end.
Once again, how does this have anything to do w/ LaRussa?

User avatar
EastonBlues22
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4798
Joined: May 7 06, 11:31 pm

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Both pass physicals)

Post by EastonBlues22 »

Kyle wrote:I won't start a new thread for this, but the Cleveland Press says that the Cards discussed a Rolen + Reyes for Peralta + Lee deal.

How do you guys feel about that?
I definitely like it better than the Glaus deal. I like Lee and would rather see him on the Cards through 2010 than Reyes, who is bogged down here under some combination of mechanical problems/early injury indicators/Duncan. Peralta is under control at a reasonable price through 2011 if we want...he would fill a position of need at a reasonable price and rate of production.

It definitely enhances our chances for 2009+ (which, in my opinion, should have been the most important consideration). I would have pulled the trigger even though the player aquisitions are redundant (by position) at this stage for 2008.
Last edited by EastonBlues22 on January 14 08, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 18089
Joined: June 16 07, 2:12 pm

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Both pass physicals)

Post by Magneto2.0 »

That Lee/Peralta trade would be as good as this one, I guess.

And Rolen does seem like a malcontent.

planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy
Posts: 24904
Joined: April 15 06, 6:25 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Both pass physicals)

Post by planet planet »

EastonBlues22 wrote:
Kyle wrote:I won't start a new thread for this, but the Cleveland Press says that the Cards discussed a Rolen + Reyes for Peralta + Lee deal.

How do you guys feel about that?
I definitely like it better than the Glaus deal. I like Lee and would rather see him on the Cards through 2010 than Reyes, who is bogged down here under some combination of mechanical problems/early injury indicators/Duncan. Peralta is under control at a reasonable price through 2011 if we want...he would fill a position of need at a reasonable price and rate of production.

It definitely enhances our chances for 2009+ (which, in my opinion, should be the most important consideration. I would have pulled the trigger even though the personel aquisitions are redundant at this stage for 2008.
If that deal was discussed, it probably fell through because the Cards wouldn't satisfy Cleveland's request for enough $. If so, that sucks. Glaus definitely exercised his player option, right? That's what I've read today.

User avatar
Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 7458
Joined: December 22 06, 1:06 am

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Both pass physicals)

Post by Richie Allen »

jim wrote:I tend to agree Richie to an extent, but a huge part of a managers job is to keep these things in check, which is why I put the blame squarely on #10's shoulders.
Well, I've said the exact thing in this thread, as I definitely lean toward Tony's taking on the majority of the blame (or responsibility of not losing control of his players) but I also see it, although to a lesser degree, as Scott's job as an employee to make certain he's still in good standing with the boss.
Last edited by Richie Allen on January 14 08, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
EastonBlues22
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4798
Joined: May 7 06, 11:31 pm

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Both pass physicals)

Post by EastonBlues22 »

Kyle, according to PMR Peralta was slightly above average at SS in 2007...9th best of qualifieds with a ratio of 101.92.

User avatar
Bo Hart
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 8770
Joined: April 14 06, 9:50 pm

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Both pass physicals)

Post by Bo Hart »

planet pujolsian wrote:
EastonBlues22 wrote:
Kyle wrote:I won't start a new thread for this, but the Cleveland Press says that the Cards discussed a Rolen + Reyes for Peralta + Lee deal.

How do you guys feel about that?
I definitely like it better than the Glaus deal. I like Lee and would rather see him on the Cards through 2010 than Reyes, who is bogged down here under some combination of mechanical problems/early injury indicators/Duncan. Peralta is under control at a reasonable price through 2011 if we want...he would fill a position of need at a reasonable price and rate of production.

It definitely enhances our chances for 2009+ (which, in my opinion, should be the most important consideration. I would have pulled the trigger even though the personel aquisitions are redundant at this stage for 2008.
If that deal was discussed, it probably fell through because the Cards wouldn't satisfy Cleveland's request for enough $. If so, that sucks. Glaus definitely exercised his player option, right? That's what I've read today.
That's my guess, too -- they probably wanted St. Louis to pay a decent portion of Rolen's salary.

But yeah... getting Glaus seems somewhat like a lateral move -- it doesn't help if you want to build for the future. Landing Perlata gives us a solid player who happens to play the most difficult-to-acquire position.
Last edited by Bo Hart on January 14 08, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
EastonBlues22
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4798
Joined: May 7 06, 11:31 pm

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Both pass physicals)

Post by EastonBlues22 »

planet pujolsian wrote: If that deal was discussed, it probably fell through because the Cards wouldn't satisfy Cleveland's request for enough $. If so, that sucks. Glaus definitely exercised his player option, right? That's what I've read today.
I don't know why it fell through, but I'm sad that it did.

It is my understanding that the option has been exercised.

User avatar
indyredbird
All-Star
Posts: 1336
Joined: September 26 06, 2:35 pm
Location: Whitestown, IN

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Both pass physicals)

Post by indyredbird »

Does it seem like the Cards have alot of communication issues? How many free agents have the Cards loss because of the players not hearing of an offer (Polanco, Benes) Others have complained about communication (Eckstein, Woody Williams)

If there was a big rift between Rolen and TLR, why didn't either GM hold a meeting to hash it out. Funny on how 3 of the Cards greatest fielders (Rolen, Ozzie, Edmonds) have a problem with TLR.

I really wish TLR would have left with Walt.

Locked