Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin
-
Michael
- GRB Founder
- Posts: 35303
- Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
- Location: Chicago, IL
- Contact:
Re: FIST JABBIN' TERRORIST VS. SENILE OLD MAN: THE THREAD
What happened with McCain and taxes? I really liked what he was saying in 2000, but he's certainly changed his tune.
-
jim
- Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
- Posts: 50393
- Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
Re: FIST JABBIN' TERRORIST VS. SENILE OLD MAN: THE THREAD
He must feel this plan has a better chance of getting him elected.Michael wrote:What happened with McCain and taxes? I really liked what he was saying in 2000, but he's certainly changed his tune.
- clevername
- Bringer of FRBG
- Posts: 10380
- Joined: April 16 06, 7:13 pm
- Location: Alabama
Re: FIST JABBIN' TERRORIST VS. SENILE OLD MAN: THE THREAD
that's the whole problem with this deal. If people really looked at it it should help him lose handily.jim wrote:He must feel this plan has a better chance of getting him elected.Michael wrote:What happened with McCain and taxes? I really liked what he was saying in 2000, but he's certainly changed his tune.
All I hear about from my Republican friends and family is how Obama's going to raise our taxes and take all our money while McCain's going to cut our taxes a la Robin Hood. The Republicans have somehow convinced the masses that less money in their pockets is more. If the people who voted actually looked at something like that and saw where the tax cuts/raises were they'd be dumbfounded.
- ghostrunner
- GOAT
- Posts: 30830
- Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm
Re: FIST JABBIN' TERRORIST VS. SENILE OLD MAN: THE THREAD
Yeah, I'm more down with McCain there, though it doesn't affect us either way. Together we're at about 70K. I don't really get the Obama thing about taxing the rich even more when they already pay a disproportionately high percentage. I don't mind a graduated system like we have now, but the answer can't be to just keep bumping the top bracket even higher when you need more money.letsgocards89 wrote:Not really. According to that graph both plans affect me about the same.GatewaySnayke wrote:You must make a lot of money.letsgocards89 wrote:GatewaySnayke wrote:McCain's housing gaffe has really swung the media narrative. This is just the break Obama needed. And to show why it is relevant:
My mother is going to be pleased with saving that $350.
Cool, another reason to vote McCain. Tax cuts for EVERYONE.
Having said that, I don't know why McCain would be dropping the top percentage lower. Particularly without knowing how he plans to cut spending. But I still like an across the board cut vs. raising anyone's taxes 11%. Ethically, I think 50% taxation is questionable even if you're talking about millionaires.
- Popeye_Card
- GRB's most intelligent & humble poster
- Posts: 31035
- Joined: April 17 06, 11:25 am
Re: FIST JABBIN' TERRORIST VS. SENILE OLD MAN: THE THREAD
An odd twist of fate, since some might consider it unethical that certain segments of the population are able to make so much more than the average salary.ghostrunner wrote: Ethically, I think 50% taxation is questionable even if you're talking about millionaires.
-
Fat Strat
- Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie
- Posts: 28010
- Joined: April 17 06, 9:16 pm
- Location: No. 16 on the Cards Top 15 Prospect List
Re: FIST JABBIN' TERRORIST VS. SENILE OLD MAN: THE THREAD
That's two sides of a classic liberal vs. conservative debate.Popeye_Card wrote:An odd twist of fate, since some might consider it unethical that certain segments of the population are able to make so much more than the average salary.ghostrunner wrote: Ethically, I think 50% taxation is questionable even if you're talking about millionaires.
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of a graduated tax system, and I do think (at least in our current market and economy) that taking more money away from employers, entrepenuers, investers, people with disposable income, etc. (those in the highest brackets) isn't a great idea. It's those people who will fund things like affordable 100 mpg cars, natural gas/hydrogen vehicles, wind power, consumer-affordable solar power, etc., and they need available money to do that while covering diesel costs for their yacht.
Now, you want the other side?
If you put more money into the pockets of regular joe voter, regular joe voter will have more money, and he can spend more money on 100 mpg cars, natural gas/hydrogen vehicles, solar panels for his house, etc., which helps Mr. Disposable Income make more money to invest in 100 mpg cars, despite paying a hefty chunk in taxes, and still giving him plenty left over for the diesel fuel for his yacht.
- sighyoung
- Mayor of GRB
- Posts: 38614
- Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
- Location: Louisville
Re: FIST JABBIN' TERRORIST VS. SENILE OLD MAN: THE THREAD
I've been meaning to respond to this, because it's a good question.letsgocards89 wrote:What effect does the possible withdrawl agreement with Iraq have on the election?
I think the less Iraq is in the news, the more it favors McCain--especially if withdrawal seems to lead to Iraqi autonomy. (Whether the Iraqi government is functional is another matter.)
If violence flares (say, a civil war), however, many voters will be reminded of their opposition to the war and its prosecution, which would favor Obama.
That's my (very imperfect) analysis. What do all of you think?
- GatewaySnayke
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 11923
- Joined: July 23 06, 11:54 pm
- Location: GatewaySnaykebird
Re: FIST JABBIN' TERRORIST VS. SENILE OLD MAN: THE THREAD
Well, it hasn't been bumped in awhile. Before Bush's tax cuts, the top bracket was paying something like 40 percent and now it's down to 35 percent. He's talking about taxing the rich to appease the middle and lower class voters though. Whether this thing gets put through if he wins is debatable. I do have faith that he lets GWB's cuts expire.ghostrunner wrote:Yeah, I'm more down with McCain there, though it doesn't affect us either way. Together we're at about 70K. I don't really get the Obama thing about taxing the rich even more when they already pay a disproportionately high percentage. I don't mind a graduated system like we have now, but the answer can't be to just keep bumping the top bracket even higher when you need more money.
An across the board cut (like McCain's) doesn't work when you have a $500 billion deficit. I'm not sure how anyone can look at McCain's plan and say "yep, that's fair." One could probably say that about Obama's, too, but there is a huge economic inequality problem and the focus of future tax plans should be how to give the middle class a boost -- not trying to protect the pockets of one percent of Americans. And when you factor in McCain's plans to cut corporate taxes, it becomes abundantly clear who he's looking after.Having said that, I don't know why McCain would be dropping the top percentage lower. Particularly without knowing how he plans to cut spending. But I still like an across the board cut vs. raising anyone's taxes 11%. Ethically, I think 50% taxation is questionable even if you're talking about millionaires.
- GatewaySnayke
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 11923
- Joined: July 23 06, 11:54 pm
- Location: GatewaySnaykebird
Re: FIST JABBIN' TERRORIST VS. SENILE OLD MAN: THE THREAD
I find the timing of all this to be suspicious. Like you said, the better the Iraq situation looks, the better it is for McCain. The administration and McCain have been talking about how the war must continue for awhile now. McCain said we'll stay there 100 years if that's what it takes. The GOP is attempting to take something that was a weakness and turn it into a strength and saying "see? we had it figured out all along."sighyoung wrote:I've been meaning to respond to this, because it's a good question.letsgocards89 wrote:What effect does the possible withdrawl agreement with Iraq have on the election?
I think the less Iraq is in the news, the more it favors McCain--especially if withdrawal seems to lead to Iraqi autonomy. (Whether the Iraqi government is functional is another matter.)
If violence flares (say, a civil war), however, many voters will be reminded of their opposition to the war and its prosecution, which would favor Obama.
That's my (very imperfect) analysis. What do all of you think?
- Radbird
- There's someone in my head but it's not me
- Posts: 62287
- Joined: April 18 06, 5:08 pm
- Location: LF Bleachers @ Busch II
Re: FIST JABBIN' TERRORIST VS. SENILE OLD MAN: THE THREAD
I don't know if it really will help McCain. If things are going well in Iraq, under control, end in sight, then what do we need him and his foreign policy expertize for? Without Iraq as an issue, the focus will turn inward and towards McCain's achilles heal, the economy.
So, as misguided as I might be, at first glance I think it might help Obama.
So, as misguided as I might be, at first glance I think it might help Obama.




