The Video Game Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Post by Jocephus »

cardinalkarp wrote:
Yeah, I'm not very computer savvy but I doubt any new wireless modem would be set up that way. I've got a desktop, 2 laptops, wii, and a PS3 all running off of my router. I think I have some type of westell wireless router or something.
yea, im not that savvy either, but this "wireless gateway" is 4-5 months old...


i went to this site
http://gateway.2wire.net

which connects to the gateway, and tried configuring stuff, but couldn't get it to work...

i feel like i should be able to figure this out...

User avatar
cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 18730
Joined: May 4 06, 8:44 am

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Post by cardinalkarp »

Jocephus wrote:
cardinalkarp wrote:
Yeah, I'm not very computer savvy but I doubt any new wireless modem would be set up that way. I've got a desktop, 2 laptops, wii, and a PS3 all running off of my router. I think I have some type of westell wireless router or something.
yea, im not that savvy either, but this "wireless gateway" is 4-5 months old...


i went to this site
http://gateway.2wire.net

which connects to the gateway, and tried configuring stuff, but couldn't get it to work...

i feel like i should be able to figure this out...
When I set up my PS3 an Wii all the system did was see my wireless network (like yours is doing) and then it would connect, mine never asked for a specific ip address.

edit : I'm not sure if Xbox works differently though. I wouldn't think so. There has to be a way you can find that ip address that the system is asking for. If AT&T is you carrier they should be able to give that to you.

maddash
is eerily well-versed on Project Runway and irony
Posts: 8508
Joined: June 26 06, 3:07 pm

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Post by maddash »

This link might be of some help (if it already hasn't been posted):

http://xbox360help.blogspot.com/2007/04 ... -test.html

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 12536
Joined: April 25 06, 6:43 pm
Location: Austin

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Post by Arthur Dent »

The gateway should supply the IP address through DHCP. Not getting it means you never really connected. This could happen for a number of reasons, but mismatched security keys seems a likely candidate. I'd try the wired connection first. If that works, try disabling the wireless network's encryption.

User avatar
cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 18730
Joined: May 4 06, 8:44 am

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Post by cardinalkarp »

Arthur Dent wrote:The gateway should supply the IP address through DHCP. Not getting it means you never really connected. This could happen for a number of reasons, but mismatched security keys seems a likely candidate. I'd try the wired connection first. If that works, try disabling the wireless network's encryption.
That makes sense.

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Post by Jocephus »

ill try this stuff ASAP

thanks everyoen...i appreciate it!

User avatar
Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators
Posts: 11413
Joined: April 21 06, 3:31 pm
Location: I Read the News Today Oh, boy

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Post by Tambourine Man »

Mr. Joce, did you ever get yours working? I have the exact same gateway and hearing your experience scared me away from the wireless adapter completely. Mine works fine wired directly (signed up last night), but I had to drop some $$$ to get the 50 ft. ethernet cable. They were all out of Cat5 so I wound up with Cat6. Anyway, AD was leading you in the right direction with the firewall stuff. I can access mine by entering the correct IP and password. GOW2 will be mine when I head out for dinner break.

The streaming Netflix intrigues me, but I'm very, very picky about movies. It's more for my girlfriend who'll watch any crap that's on.

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Post by Jocephus »

ok, well...i appear to be live now...i moved my tv and xbox near the gateway, did a wired connection, and downloaded some necessary updates...ive unhooked it and its back in its normal place and it appears to be working!

the only problme however, is that, i only have a silver membership...and i thought i got a gold one for a month free...

jocephus420 should be my gamer name/profile

thekramerwsu@hotmail.com is the email account im using

User avatar
Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators
Posts: 11413
Joined: April 21 06, 3:31 pm
Location: I Read the News Today Oh, boy

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Post by Tambourine Man »

You do get a gold membership for a month. When you signed up your profile etc., did it take you to an option to choose which gold membership you'd like to buy? Mine did. When I opted to not purchase at this time, that's when it said I qualified for a free month of gold. They didn't come right out and say it...kinda tricky.

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: New Xbox Live "experience"

Post by Jocephus »

Tambourine Man wrote:You do get a gold membership for a month. When you signed up your profile etc., did it take you to an option to choose which gold membership you'd like to buy? Mine did. When I opted to not purchase at this time, that's when it said I qualified for a free month of gold. They didn't come right out and say it...kinda tricky.
i dont remember seeing an option...i guess i should check agazin....ill probably have to call xbox live again....oh well, im just glad at least i got the wireless working

i guess the wired connection "zapped" the info for a wireless conection to the xbox...

Post Reply