movies

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
User avatar
clevername
Bringer of FRBG
Posts: 10380
Joined: April 16 06, 7:13 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Recently viewed movies

Post by clevername »

can you believe Ron Howard has another best director nomination?

User avatar
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor
Posts: 36109
Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
Location: Chocolate City

Re: Recently viewed movies

Post by JL21 »

clevername wrote:can you believe Ron Howard has another best director nomination?
IMDB only shows that this is his 2nd (the other coming for "A Beautiful Mind").

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000165/awards

User avatar
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite
Posts: 37260
Joined: October 17 06, 11:19 am
Location: Huis Clos

Re: Recently viewed movies

Post by lukethedrifter »

JL21 wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:Probably won't ever know, since I have almost no desire to see it.
The only thing that gives me pause is that Ron Howard directed it. But then, I've generally enjoyed his historical dramas (Apollo 13, Cinderella Man).
See, my reaction is the opposite. That RH directed steers me away from it.

I see the possibility of F/N being great like Glengarry Glen Ross was great. Like a great play, done well for the big screen. About the dialogue, the facial expressions, the tone.

User avatar
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor
Posts: 36109
Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
Location: Chocolate City

Re: Recently viewed movies

Post by JL21 »

lukethedrifter wrote:
JL21 wrote:
ghostrunner wrote:Probably won't ever know, since I have almost no desire to see it.
The only thing that gives me pause is that Ron Howard directed it. But then, I've generally enjoyed his historical dramas (Apollo 13, Cinderella Man).
See, my reaction is the opposite. That RH directed steers me away from it.

I see the possibility of F/N being great like Glengarry Glen Ross was great. Like a great play, done well for the big screen. About the dialogue, the facial expressions, the tone.
I'm confused. Ron Howard gives me pause (i.e. if there's a movie I want to see, but Ron Howard directed it, that fact will make me stop to reconsider watching it).

On a side note, if you want to see something that's like a great play, done well for the big screen, that just happens to be about Richard Nixon, I highly recommend Robert Altman's "Secret Honor".

http://www.criterion.com/films/955

User avatar
Dillagii
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 7926
Joined: April 18 06, 2:37 pm

Re: Recently viewed movies

Post by Dillagii »

Clement: Did you watch Ghajini?

User avatar
cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.
Posts: 27776
Joined: May 17 06, 10:23 pm
Location: at the gettin' place

Re: Recently viewed movies

Post by cardsfansince82 »

Righteous Kill managed to exceed my lofty expectations of suckitude.

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: Recently viewed movies

Post by Jocephus »

just watched "its a mad, mad, mad, mad world"...i gave it 4 stars on netflix...crazy the amount of stars in it

MrSaigon

Re: Recently viewed movies

Post by MrSaigon »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0845046
"Son of Rambow"
I enjoyed it. Kind of a charming British comedy with kids. Like "Be Kind Rewind" in subject matter and tone. It's not earth-shaking or really fantastic, but it is really creative and fun. At times it's hillarious. I'd recommend it to anyone.

User avatar
omaha_red
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 12963
Joined: April 18 06, 7:53 am
Location: toning it done

Re: Recently viewed movies

Post by omaha_red »

Jocephus wrote:just watched "its a mad, mad, mad, mad world"...i gave it 4 stars on netflix...crazy the amount of stars in it

that's a long one isn't it?

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: Recently viewed movies

Post by Jocephus »

omaha_red wrote:
Jocephus wrote:just watched "its a mad, mad, mad, mad world"...i gave it 4 stars on netflix...crazy the amount of stars in it

that's a long one isn't it?
2 hours and 40 mins, approx...it even has an intermission in it...but, i found that it went by pretty fast...

Post Reply