movies

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
Posts: 26073
Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Recently viewed movies

Post by Freed Roger »

omaha_red wrote:
JL21 wrote:I watched a really awesome, really interesting anti-war movie from 1971:

Image

Donald Sutherland plays Jesus.
wow.. i've heard that's really hard to find..
i loved it by the way..
Saw this last night. really good. A little too out there for me -in a pyschedelic sense, and probably ridden with metaphors that blew right past me, but powerful nonetheless, I couldn't stop watching no matter how weird it got.. Jason Robards was great. Donald Sutherland thumbs up. Tim Bottoms voice-over of his conscious thoughts was a little too deliberate and childlike -but maybe thats the way they wanted it.

User avatar
ghostrunner
GOAT
Posts: 30835
Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm

Re: Recently viewed movies

Post by ghostrunner »

Just watched Burn After Reading. Can't say it's a favorite after the first viewing, though it usually takes a couple times with the Coen's movies.

It reminded me of Fargo a lot, which I don't like as much as some people. I don't think they do as great a job of blending tragedy and comedy as others think they do. They do better either being completely off the wall like Raising Arizona or Lebowski, or playing it straight like with No Country for Old Men, Barton Fink, and Miller's Crossing. The comedies have great, poignant moments, and the dramas have some wry humor but in cases like this where they try to blend them it just doesn't work as well for me. Like Fargo, I found the characters schticky and not well-developed.

Like I said, I'll have to see it again. I went in duped by the previews thinking it would be more like Raising Arizona or Lebowski, and was hoping for more laughs. Relative to their other stuff, to me this goes in somewhere alongside Intolerable Cruelty and The Ladykillers.

User avatar
The Third Man
It rubs the lotion on its skin.
Posts: 8935
Joined: July 17 06, 1:00 pm

Re: Recently viewed movies

Post by The Third Man »

The Big Lebowski is the ultimate "nobody likes it the first time" movie. I hated it the first time and after I watched it the second time I loved it. It's probably my favorite comedy.

User avatar
docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief
Posts: 24741
Joined: April 18 06, 6:54 pm

Re: Recently viewed movies

Post by docellis »

I just watched Burn after Reading last week. I enjoyed it, but it was pretty stupid. I loved watching Clooney drag around sex toys...it was funny watching him play a pervert.

User avatar
ThatGuy
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 5114
Joined: October 15 06, 4:40 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN

Re: Recently viewed movies

Post by ThatGuy »

So apparently nobody around here carries the original Nutty Professor (from 1963). I figured Best Buy might have it, but no luck there.

Anybody have a better idea?

User avatar
The Third Man
It rubs the lotion on its skin.
Posts: 8935
Joined: July 17 06, 1:00 pm

Re: Recently viewed movies

Post by The Third Man »

ThatGuy wrote:So apparently nobody around here carries the original Nutty Professor (from 1963). I figured Best Buy might have it, but no luck there.

Anybody have a better idea?
The internet!

User avatar
InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster
Posts: 28275
Joined: October 12 07, 12:28 pm
Location: Raptured

Re: Recently viewed movies

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

I might be late to the party, but Slumdog Millionaire was very very good. Much better than Benjamin Button.

User avatar
The Third Man
It rubs the lotion on its skin.
Posts: 8935
Joined: July 17 06, 1:00 pm

Re: Recently viewed movies

Post by The Third Man »

I'm watching ET as I type. The spaceship just landed to pick ET back up.

User avatar
clevername
Bringer of FRBG
Posts: 10380
Joined: April 16 06, 7:13 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Recently viewed movies

Post by clevername »

saw The Wrestler Friday night. Incredible character study. It didn't hurt that I used to watch wrasslin' in my youth and have since watched some of the documentaries detailing the often sad lives these guys live. Rourke quite literally was The Ram. Tomeii got naked, which is great, and several times, which is even greater. But she also was pretty excellent with her clothes on.

Anyway, expectations met and all that. One of the best I've seen this year (or in the last 12 months or since the last awards or whatever).

Saw Frost/Nixon today. Langella was impressive. I don't know about best picture but it wasn't the worst Ron Howard movie I've seen.

User avatar
Dillagii
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 7926
Joined: April 18 06, 2:37 pm

Re: Recently viewed movies

Post by Dillagii »

InvincibleCakeEater wrote:I might be late to the party, but Slumdog Millionaire was very very good. Much better than Benjamin Button.
Yeah. Especially the soundtrack!!

Post Reply