Update: HOLLIDAY A CARD 7yr/120 million, p178

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
Locked
User avatar
Cole Burns
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 3749
Joined: July 30 06, 10:53 am
Location: I'm not here.

Re: Update: Cards Sweeten Holliday Offer, p 88

Post by Cole Burns »

cards2468 wrote:
Cole Burns wrote:I'm calling shenanigans on all this. Boras operates this way. He goes deep in negotiations only to drive the price up for a second suitor that doesn't come out of the woodwork until late (see, Texeria, Mark - 2008 NY Yankees). Boras said that he would wait until all the other pieces land. If he (and by "he" I mean Borasm, not Holliday - I don't think Matt gets much of a say in this) gets his way (and he always does) then they'll wait until late February to ink a deal.
Tex signed before x-mas last year, granted that was under Tex's instruction
IIRC, Tex wasn't on the Yankees radar until the eleventh hour. Braves and...another team? Can't remember. There were other teams -- Boston! That was it. Boston was negotiating and then <swoop> Yankees drop in and sign him. Seemed like SOP for Boras at the time.

As for waiting until Spring Training, I was thinking of another more famous Boras client when I saw him say that in October.

User avatar
Cole Burns
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 3749
Joined: July 30 06, 10:53 am
Location: I'm not here.

Re: Update: Cards Sweeten Holliday Offer, p 88

Post by Cole Burns »

haltz wrote:
I don't think Matt gets much of a say in this
of course he does. pretty much whatever happens is what he wants including Boras being his agent from the beginning.

If he dicked his clients over he would just get fired until he represented no one at all.
Who was Polanco's agent when he signed with the Tigers? Or was it Flippy with the Pils? I remember one of them wanted to return to the Cards but was told there wasn't an offer. He signed for more money elsewhere feeling spurned by the Cards, and then later found out there was an offer on the table his agent never told him about.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 20007
Joined: April 18 06, 7:38 pm

Re: Update: Cards Sweeten Holliday Offer, p 88

Post by TimeForGuinness »

Cole Burns wrote:
haltz wrote:
I don't think Matt gets much of a say in this
of course he does. pretty much whatever happens is what he wants including Boras being his agent from the beginning.

If he dicked his clients over he would just get fired until he represented no one at all.
Who was Polanco's agent when he signed with the Tigers? Or was it Flippy with the Pils? I remember one of them wanted to return to the Cards but was told there wasn't an offer. He signed for more money elsewhere feeling spurned by the Cards, and then later found out there was an offer on the table his agent never told him about.
He then fired his agent, IIRC.

User avatar
cards2468
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 14745
Joined: October 28 06, 11:10 pm
Location: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

Re: Update: Cards Sweeten Holliday Offer, p 88

Post by cards2468 »

Cole Burns wrote:
haltz wrote:
I don't think Matt gets much of a say in this
of course he does. pretty much whatever happens is what he wants including Boras being his agent from the beginning.

If he dicked his clients over he would just get fired until he represented no one at all.
Who was Polanco's agent when he signed with the Tigers? Or was it Flippy with the Pils? I remember one of them wanted to return to the Cards but was told there wasn't an offer. He signed for more money elsewhere feeling spurned by the Cards, and then later found out there was an offer on the table his agent never told him about.
Well, Andy Benes had to sign with the D-Backs after Boras dicked around too long and missed the deadline.

User avatar
haltz
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 22630
Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
Location: a proud midwestern metropolis

Re: Update: Cards Sweeten Holliday Offer, p 88

Post by haltz »

Kenny Rogers fired Scott Boras and Jason Varitek told him to get him a deal with the Red Sox. Ultimately it's up to the player.

User avatar
Cole Burns
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 3749
Joined: July 30 06, 10:53 am
Location: I'm not here.

Re: Update: Cards Sweeten Holliday Offer, p 88

Post by Cole Burns »

haltz wrote:Kenny Rogers fired Scott Boras and Jason Varitek told him to get him a deal with the Red Sox. Ultimately it's up to the player.
Sure, sure...

What I was getting at was motivation. For some players they want to stay with a particular team or go to a certain area of the country. Their agent usually accommodates them regardless of money. Every time you hear the phrase "Player x took less money" it means the agent behind him HAD to take less money, but was willing to do the deal.

Some agents (Scott Boras being the most obvious) are singleminded on one thing: Money. Not only how much their player gets, but how much they get. I understand, I don't quibble about it. Make as much money as you can, it's America.

But it comes down to motivation. Are you serving the player? If you aren't then you aren't doing what they contracted you to do. If what they want is less money then you have to get them less money even if it means less for you.

User avatar
Hungary Jack
Mother Earth
Posts: 19536
Joined: July 24 06, 6:03 am
Location: In Cognito

Re: Update: Cards Sweeten Holliday Offer, p 88

Post by Hungary Jack »

cards2468 wrote:
Cole Burns wrote:
haltz wrote:
I don't think Matt gets much of a say in this
of course he does. pretty much whatever happens is what he wants including Boras being his agent from the beginning.

If he dicked his clients over he would just get fired until he represented no one at all.
Who was Polanco's agent when he signed with the Tigers? Or was it Flippy with the Pils? I remember one of them wanted to return to the Cards but was told there wasn't an offer. He signed for more money elsewhere feeling spurned by the Cards, and then later found out there was an offer on the table his agent never told him about.
Well, Andy Benes had to sign with the D-Backs after Boras dicked around too long and missed the deadline.
This is what I was thinking. I don't recall Benes firing Boras for this. He should have. Benes wanted to be here all along.

User avatar
haltz
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 22630
Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
Location: a proud midwestern metropolis

Re: Update: Cards Sweeten Holliday Offer, p 88

Post by haltz »

I agree. boras has done that in the past (varitek), and IF that's what holliday wants and boras doesn't accomodate that, holliday can find a new agent.

User avatar
clevername
Bringer of FRBG
Posts: 10380
Joined: April 16 06, 7:13 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Update: Cards Sweeten Holliday Offer, p 88

Post by clevername »

you don't think he's overbearing and steers guys towards the places he wants them to go (usually the top dollar contract)?

I don't think it's as simple as "I'll just fire him" for these guys. Some guys are going to be in control about it and some are going to be pushed around by him. The fact that they go along with what he wants and doesn't fire them doesn't necessarily mean the player is getting what he wanted most.

User avatar
cards2468
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 14745
Joined: October 28 06, 11:10 pm
Location: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

Re: Update: Cards Sweeten Holliday Offer, p 88

Post by cards2468 »

I think Holliday has made it pretty clear that he doesn't care where he ends up as long as he gets a lot of money, a lot of years, and a no-trade clause.

Examples like Varitek and Benes don't really apply since those players had different agendas.

Locked