Pujols Signs With Angels

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
Locked
User avatar
Dillagii
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 7926
Joined: April 18 06, 2:37 pm

Re: Pujols Signs With Angels

Post by Dillagii »

JohnnyJay wrote:Actually, you can watch it here:

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/290819 ... e-St-Louis
lol.

So basically Arte or whoever called him and talked to him about "family" and he bought into it? Just a 30 min conversation was all it took? I dont know why they feel they have to convince us it's not about money. Actually I do and they are doing a bad job at it. This interview didnt do any favor to him. And he needs to shut his wife's mouth.

User avatar
OmahaCard79
Veteran Player
Posts: 1100
Joined: May 23 06, 1:02 pm

Re: Pujols Signs With Angels

Post by OmahaCard79 »

It's sad, yet interesting, to see a guy immolate his legacy in a town where one week ago he was a god in this way. just amazing, and he keeps digging the hole deeper.

I predict one day people will forgive and forget and there will be a tearful reunion with the Cardinals franchise, but barring this Angels thing being a total bust and them trading him back to STL for pennies, it could be 25 years. just sad.

Soupsgrill
Everyday Player
Posts: 494
Joined: May 25 07, 8:13 pm
Location: Behind the Cardinal's Bullpen

Re: Pujols Signs With Angels

Post by Soupsgrill »

I wont be around in 25 years, my grandson probably won't care, that is the sad part.

User avatar
ThatGuy
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 5114
Joined: October 15 06, 4:40 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN

Re: Pujols Signs With Angels

Post by ThatGuy »

Also, Deidre talked about breaking her own rule and reading the reaction of some of the fans. I wonder where she was reading these reactions? :)

In any case, what the heck was she expecting? "We love you now more than ever Albert!"

User avatar
AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD
Posts: 10174
Joined: March 7 07, 4:50 pm
Location: Tycho Crater, Luna

Re: Pujols Signs With Angels

Post by AdmiralKird »

ThatGuy wrote:Also, Deidre talked about breaking her own rule and reading the reaction of some of the fans. I wonder where she was reading these reactions? :)

In any case, what the heck was she expecting? "We love you now more than ever Albert!"
I tested this theory and I couldn't get GRB to come up into a simple google search with "Pujols signs with Angels" or "Pujols signs angels fans message board" or anything to that affect. Unless she heard about this place from another players' wife that might be lurking, player, or friend, I don't think she's reading us.

And while I'm watching this video I'm beginning to see the amazing irony. Albert left because he wanted to feel loved and respected, but in the end, he must feel less loved and respected than ever.

and I really don't like Diedre saying "listen bill, we wanted to stay for the family, for the fans." If you wanted to stay for the fans you'd play for the same salary so we wouldn't have all of our ticket prices jacked up by $5 to pay you all that money, when most households in the area make less than $30,000. Households.

User avatar
ThatGuy
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 5114
Joined: October 15 06, 4:40 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN

Re: Pujols Signs With Angels

Post by ThatGuy »

AdmiralKird wrote:I tested this theory and I couldn't get GRB to come up into a simple google search with "Pujols signs with Angels" or "Pujols signs angels fans message board" or anything to that affect. Unless she heard about this place from another players' wife that might be lurking, player, or friend, I don't think she's reading us.
Well, judging by her reaction, I was thinking more along the lines of CT.
and I really don't like Diedre saying "listen bill, we wanted to stay for the family, for the fans." If you wanted to stay for the fans you'd play for the same salary so we wouldn't have all of our ticket prices jacked up by $5 to pay you all that money, when most households in the area make less than $30,000. Households.
They are going all-out to make themselves look like the only party that wanted this deal to happen. Guess I can't blame them, but I doubt it's working.

Slider
All-Star
Posts: 1643
Joined: July 23 08, 2:36 pm

Re: Pujols Signs With Angels

Post by Slider »

It has become a game of he said she said... Usually the one who is mist vocal about the drama is the cause of the drama. The more they talk the worse they look. Dewitt says little and he looks like a genius... It really does appear the Pujols are delusional. I have gone from really bummed to feeling really sad for them and glad they aren't back

User avatar
ghostrunner
GOAT
Posts: 30813
Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm

Re: Pujols Signs With Angels

Post by ghostrunner »

It's an awkward situation. They're making it worse but I don't think they'd be trying if they didn't give a damn. They don't want to be the bad guy and that never works. They really should just can it for a while and turn down interviews. Of course that backfires too.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
Posts: 26073
Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Pujols Signs With Angels

Post by Freed Roger »

Michael wrote:
JohnnyJay wrote:Actually, you can watch it here:

http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/290819 ... e-St-Louis
He's not doing himself any favors here.

edit - Deidre is playing bad cop.
yeah, it was an ill-advised interview and too soon, for sure. Of course the constant "praying on it" comments don't play well with many on this forum. Ignoring that, I don't see too much an outrage in this interview, at least not what I expected to make them look bad. Not that I am outraged over circumstances of his departure to begin with. It does appear that they struggled with this decision, and I can respect that - people that have certitude and don't suffer decisions tend to be dimwits.

From what I hear, the Deidre Joy-FM interview was not good, yet...interviewing on that station is a bad idea, as is the station itself.

But again - I'm ok with that KSDK interview and am also done with analyzing his departure after this post.

I thought the P-D nonsports columnist put it well , Pujols is like a kid. and Dewitt is a businessman.

They saw this FA event coming a long time ago. So back then, Dewitt probably figured the only way they'd sign Pujols was a fat hometown loyalty discount, or something dramatic occurring to drop Pujols' market value. It wasn't likely to work out, as they probably surmised a few years ago.

I dare say, they do not win this 2011 World Series without Pujols. And thus, I think it was completely worth it to keep him then let him walk-versus the players he could have brought in a hypothetical trade (no way they'd ever been able to trade him-the fans would have revolted).

With this Pujols talk. I've been remembering his first year with Spring Training and the team. Jack Buck was talking on his evening show with Shannon show about this new guy that they'd have a hard time keeping off the team, even though he was a only in single A ball most the prior year, and at Memphis for a mere 3 games. Then that first season the new third baseman/outfielder - who the hell was this guy?!

Almost from the get-go, people would be in restaurants or bars with the game on in the periphery - but all would stop and focus on the game for the Albert Pujols at-bats. It was a fun ride. The game goes on. Play Ball.
Last edited by Freed Roger on December 13 11, 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief
Posts: 24741
Joined: April 18 06, 6:54 pm

Re: Pujols Signs With Angels

Post by docellis »

Joy FM has pulled the Deidre Pujols interview from its website.

Locked