Music talk Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by Jocephus »

i always thought the blue album was the best

User avatar
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn
Posts: 43295
Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by heyzeus »

Jocephus wrote:i always thought the blue album was the best
The blue album is great. Maybe it's co-best? Pinkerton often gets the nod because its subject matter is a bit more meaningful, but the music on both albums was teh good.

User avatar
Smith Corks One
All-Star
Posts: 1426
Joined: April 27 10, 11:08 pm

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by Smith Corks One »

heyzeus wrote:Here's a fun article about how alternative music, whatever that means, died in 1996.

http://www.avclub.com/article/1996-alte ... ath-240366

Here's the money quote:
Looking back now, Pinkerton is regarded as a landmark, a cult classic that influenced scads of emo-pop bands, and it remains the Weezer album to which all others must be compared. But the relentless backlash at the time sent Cuomo into a years-long crisis, from which he slowly recovered by wrapping himself in ever-increasing layers of protective mediocrity.
Nice article. Yeah, the early alternative stuff was great - but it certainly opened the floodgates for the tidal wave of shiit that followed, virtually all of which was indistinguishable (and unlistenable). Creed and Nickleback bear the brunt of the scorn (much deserved, of course), but at least 98% of popular music at that time was equally abysmal.

User avatar
Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!
Posts: 10841
Joined: July 1 06, 7:24 pm
Location: Lost in the Cloud

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by Schlich »

Creed really isn't that bad tho

User avatar
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn
Posts: 43295
Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by heyzeus »

Schlich wrote:Creed really isn't that bad tho
Quoted. There's no going back on this now. You're aware GRB isn't deleting itself this week anymore, right?

User avatar
Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!
Posts: 10841
Joined: July 1 06, 7:24 pm
Location: Lost in the Cloud

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by Schlich »


User avatar
IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.
Posts: 12898
Joined: December 6 10, 1:09 am
Location: Illinois

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by IMADreamer »

Paul McCartney was amazing. I think I've crossed off my concert bucket list.

User avatar
stlouie_lipp
Hallelujah Brother
Posts: 13380
Joined: April 17 06, 7:36 pm

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by stlouie_lipp »

stlouie_lipp wrote:A Moon Shaped Pool

I didn't think they could make an album this good again. This is gorgeous.


Image


EDIT: on my fourth listen, I absolutely love it.
Revisiting this for the first time in a little while. Finally played it on my record player instead of digitally. Really sounds beautiful. Everything sounds so much better on vinyl, it just does.

User avatar
Schlich
Don't tone police me bro!
Posts: 10841
Joined: July 1 06, 7:24 pm
Location: Lost in the Cloud

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by Schlich »

I wanna get a record player for pretty much the sole purpose of listening to radiohead. Not really just that, but almost.

User avatar
Tambourine Man
accepts no jimitators
Posts: 11413
Joined: April 21 06, 3:31 pm
Location: I Read the News Today Oh, boy

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by Tambourine Man »

Schlich wrote:I wanna get a record player for pretty much the sole purpose of listening to radiohead. Not really just that, but almost.
I ditched almost all my vinyl a few years ago, but it can be a cool hobby. A word of advice? Be very selective of what albums you buy. I'd walk into a flea market, start digging through bins and the vendors would be like, "You can have the whole crate for $5!" So I'd take the whole crate of 50 albums that contained 2 I liked. Next thing ya know, you have 7 Dark Side of the Moons and 1 in good shape. And they take up a whole hell of a lot of space.

Post Reply