movies

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 20007
Joined: April 18 06, 7:38 pm

Re: Recently viewed movies

Post by TimeForGuinness »

dangerous wrote:Saw Milk tonight- dragged a little but very good- highly recommended, Sean Penn could get an Oscar.
++

I liked the movie and Penn was amazing

User avatar
ghostrunner
GOAT
Posts: 30836
Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm

Re: Recently viewed movies

Post by ghostrunner »

TimeForGuinness wrote:
dangerous wrote:Saw Milk tonight- dragged a little but very good- highly recommended, Sean Penn could get an Oscar.
++

I liked the movie and Penn was amazing

I can't stand Penn as an actor as of the last 10 years or so. He's a ham and he takes showy "Oscar" parts, like this one. Hated him in Mystic River. When he's more restrained, he's all right. It's odd, because as a director his style has always been very "quiet" and spare.

User avatar
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor
Posts: 36109
Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
Location: Chocolate City

Re: Recently viewed movies

Post by JL21 »

ghostrunner wrote:I can't stand Penn as an actor as of the last 10 years or so. He's a ham and he takes showy "Oscar" parts, like this one. Hated him in Mystic River. When he's more restrained, he's all right. It's odd, because as a director his style has always been very "quiet" and spare.
He and George Clooney are in an epic battle for the title of "King of Indie Statement Movies".

User avatar
The Third Man
It rubs the lotion on its skin.
Posts: 8935
Joined: July 17 06, 1:00 pm

Re: Recently viewed movies

Post by The Third Man »

Oh, and the best movie I've seen recently is Paths of Glory. I don't normally go gaga over Stanley Kubrick but that's my new favorite of his, just a perfect film really. I'd put it in my top three war films with Apocalypse Now and The Bridge on the River Kwai (top four if you count Army of Shadows which is more a film about the resistance).

Also caught a few Woody Allen movies - Broadway Danny Rose, Zelig and Play it Again, Sam (the last he only wrote and acted in - didn't direct). All very good, with Broadway being my favorite of the bunch - Gordon Willis is such a ridiculously great photographer and the story is very charming. I have a few Allen DVDs waiting back at my apartment for me (Radio Days, Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex *But Were Afraid to Ask and Husbands and Wives) that I can't wait to watch. With those under my hat, I'll have seen more features by Allen than any other director - right now he's tied at 15 with Scorsese (though I have the second half of My Voyage to Italy waiting).

User avatar
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor
Posts: 36109
Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
Location: Chocolate City

Re: Recently viewed movies

Post by JL21 »

The Third Man wrote:Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex *But Were Afraid to Ask .
I laughed really, really hard at this one.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 20007
Joined: April 18 06, 7:38 pm

Re: Recently viewed movies

Post by TimeForGuinness »

ghostrunner wrote:
TimeForGuinness wrote:
dangerous wrote:Saw Milk tonight- dragged a little but very good- highly recommended, Sean Penn could get an Oscar.
++

I liked the movie and Penn was amazing

I can't stand Penn as an actor as of the last 10 years or so. He's a ham and he takes showy "Oscar" parts, like this one. Hated him in Mystic River. When he's more restrained, he's all right. It's odd, because as a director his style has always been very "quiet" and spare.
I didn't like him in Mystic River...but in this movie, he shines...you don't even realize it's Penn, which I think is a fitting tribute to his performance.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
Posts: 26073
Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Recently viewed movies

Post by Freed Roger »

I think you recommended Ace in the Hole - which I watched last night - a real good movie, thanks.

User avatar
omaha_red
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 12963
Joined: April 18 06, 7:53 am
Location: toning it done

Re: Recently viewed movies

Post by omaha_red »

Freed Roger wrote:I think you recommended Ace in the Hole - which I watched last night - a real good movie, thanks.
that is a fantastic movie.. i loved the ending..

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
Posts: 26073
Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Recently viewed movies

Post by Freed Roger »

omaha_red wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:I think you recommended Ace in the Hole - which I watched last night - a real good movie, thanks.
that is a fantastic movie.. i loved the ending..
Hey Omaha- also watched "Stage Fright" recently - agreed its a Hitchcock underrated classic.

User avatar
omaha_red
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 12963
Joined: April 18 06, 7:53 am
Location: toning it done

Re: Recently viewed movies

Post by omaha_red »

Freed Roger wrote:
omaha_red wrote:
Freed Roger wrote:I think you recommended Ace in the Hole - which I watched last night - a real good movie, thanks.
that is a fantastic movie.. i loved the ending..
Hey Omaha- also watched "Stage Fright" recently - agreed its a Hitchcock underrated classic.
yep.. loved that one.. have you done "I Confess" yet?

Post Reply