So you're saying there's a chance?

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
Locked
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
Posts: 27563
Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Location: Thinking of the Children

Re: So you're saying there's a chance?

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

jim wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:I actually feel like the Cardinals control their own destiny. If they win their remaining games, all of them, they'll get in. No way the Braves go 6-1 over their last 7 games.
Now that's optimism! Nobody said being a fan of a team required any sort of logic at all.

I think if we go 6-2 or better we are going to play more than 162 this year.
I don't think it's illogical to phathom at least the chance of them winning 9 in a row (8 now) against the stros/cubs/mets.

It's not likely, but teams have gone on insanely hot streaks in the past coming down the stretch when the goal is in sight. These aren't the dog days of summer and they're certainly not going to have a 'throw away' lineup like they do in July after winning the first 2.

User avatar
Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster
Posts: 31038
Joined: April 17 06, 11:25 am

Re: So you're saying there's a chance?

Post by Popeye_Card »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:I don't think it's illogical to phathom at least the chance of them winning 9 in a row (8 now) against the stros/cubs/mets.
If I've learned anything about this team over the last 14 months or so, I think I'd rather face the Phillies, Brewers, and Braves this week rather than cellar dwellers.

planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy
Posts: 24904
Joined: April 15 06, 6:25 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: So you're saying there's a chance?

Post by planet planet »

JS04 wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:I actually feel like the Cardinals control their own destiny. If they win their remaining games, all of them, they'll get in. No way the Braves go 6-1 over their last 7 games.
Something crazy will happen in one of these next 8, and we'll lose (either a dumb Tony decision, a dropped ball by Corey Patterson, etc.) but I could definitely see us going 7-1 over next 8...

Pitching matchups look like this:

Garcia vs. Schwinden - Major Cards Advantage
Westbrook vs. Capuano - I'm thinking this is the one we lose....Capuano being a lefty
Carp vs. Dempster - Major Cards Advantage
Lohse vs. Lopez - Should be a Major Cards Advantage
Jackson vs. Wells - Wells has been pretty good recently, this one could go either way
(missing Garza in Cubs series is big)
Garcia vs Wandy - another lefty..eek..should be with us though
Westbrook vs Sosa - Major Cards Advantage
Carp vs Myers - Gimme the Cards

Looks like pitching matchup is with us in 6 of last 8 games, if you give Capuano the edge tomorrow afternoon

Possible we go 8-0...anything could happen

I think we win tonight and Braves lose, Lowe has been nothing short of awful lately, and Vazquez has been utterly fantastic this month
.31 ERA over his last three starts with 3 BBs and 27 Ks.

User avatar
Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Posts: 25226
Joined: April 17 06, 12:27 pm
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
Contact:

Re: So you're saying there's a chance?

Post by Leroy »

Popeye_Card wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:I don't think it's illogical to phathom at least the chance of them winning 9 in a row (8 now) against the stros/cubs/mets.
If I've learned anything about this team over the last 14 months or so, I think I'd rather face the Phillies, Brewers, and Braves this week rather than cellar dwellers.
I've felt that way for quite awhile now.

User avatar
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear
Posts: 13355
Joined: April 18 06, 7:53 am
Location: South City

Re: So you're saying there's a chance?

Post by JCShutout »

I don't think 6-2 does it. I think Atl can do better than 3-4 (would tie us both with 91 wins).

I know they have struggled, but it doesn't take much for a team to just start winning. Before this streak, we were struggling.

7-1 is very possible, but we've got to be pretty much perfect to get there, and I think that gets us a tie.

Geez, just one or two of those late inning losses. One or two...

I want to believe.

User avatar
ThatGuy
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 5114
Joined: October 15 06, 4:40 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN

Re: So you're saying there's a chance?

Post by ThatGuy »

I'm going to do away with "wanting" and just throw caution to the wind. I believe.

Image

JS04
All-Star
Posts: 1258
Joined: March 3 09, 4:20 pm

Re: So you're saying there's a chance?

Post by JS04 »

So, Capuano career vs. Cards

5-5, 5.18 ERA (surprise), 74 IP, 78 H, 49 R, 43 ER, 10 HR

He's 0-3 @ Busch 3 with a 6.87 ERA in 18 IP

I'm not sure the Cards hitters splits vs. Capuano, but those are some promising numbers if you're the Cards

Tomorrow is a huge game with the way the pitching matchups line up for the weekend and in Houston, win tomorrow, you got a shot to run the table

User avatar
Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat
Posts: 6630
Joined: February 4 10, 4:35 pm

Re: So you're saying there's a chance?

Post by Lesson »

JS04 wrote:So, Capuano career vs. Cards

5-5, 5.18 ERA (surprise), 74 IP, 78 H, 49 R, 43 ER, 10 HR

He's 0-3 @ Busch 3 with a 6.87 ERA in 18 IP

I'm not sure the Cards hitters splits vs. Capuano, but those are some promising numbers if you're the Cards

Tomorrow is a huge game with the way the pitching matchups line up for the weekend and in Houston, win tomorrow, you got a shot to run the table
Albert, Raffy and Puma are hitting over .340 against him. Albert, for his career, has hit .567 against him.

User avatar
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 22007
Joined: July 15 08, 8:24 pm
Location: High A Minors

Re: So you're saying there's a chance?

Post by pioneer98 »

Looking ahead, it looks like the Braves get to see Strasburg right off the bat in that Nats series.

User avatar
cards2468
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 14745
Joined: October 28 06, 11:10 pm
Location: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT

Re: So you're saying there's a chance?

Post by cards2468 »

pioneer98 wrote:Looking ahead, it looks like the Braves get to see Strasburg right off the bat in that Nats series.
it looks like they'll see Strasburg, Lee, Oswalt and Hamels over the next 2 series

Locked