Page 15 of 29

Re: So you're saying there's a chance?

Posted: September 21 11, 9:26 pm
by Cronos
Our playoff chances have jumped to ~35%. Me likey.

Re: So you're saying there's a chance?

Posted: September 21 11, 9:39 pm
by Smith Corks One
As exciting as the Cardinals are making this, my only concern is that if they don't make it I'm gonna be so much more bummed out than if things had just gone as expected. I'll just have to frequently remind myself that the excitement and thrill of meaningful September Cardinal baseball was more than worth the added heartbreak.

That said, GO CARDS! Let's [expletive] DO this!

Re: So you're saying there's a chance?

Posted: September 21 11, 9:44 pm
by Cronos
Smith Corks One wrote:As exciting as the Cardinals are making this, my only concern is that if they don't make it I'm gonna be so much more bummed out than if things had just gone as expected. I'll just have to frequently remind myself that the excitement and thrill of meaningful September Cardinal baseball was more than worth the added heartbreak.

That said, GO CARDS! Let's [expletive] DO this!
I'm sort of the opposite: mid-summer 2006 was so awful, I didn't really care what they did when they somehow held on and made the postseason (ironically, thanks to the Braves). And I think that attitude was somewhat similar among the members of the team. All the pressure was off of them, dissimilar to the '04 and '05 squad when they won 100+ games and felt like this was their time to shine. It was like: "Well, we're here...let's play a game of ball. If we win, great! If not...we're here, that's pretty darn cool anyway!".

If they make it, fantastic. If not, well, we know why they're not in the playoff picture (and really it's easily arguable as to why they don't deserve to be) and that's just the way it goes.

Re: So you're saying there's a chance?

Posted: September 21 11, 9:46 pm
by cards2468
Smith Corks One wrote:As exciting as the Cardinals are making this, my only concern is that if they don't make it I'm gonna be so much more bummed out than if things had just gone as expected. I'll just have to frequently remind myself that the excitement and thrill of meaningful September Cardinal baseball was more than worth the added heartbreak.

That said, GO CARDS! Let's [expletive] DO this!
they could have let us down in August and the season been over then...

I don't care about football, so this is the only thing going on in my life that is exciting. Even if we don't make it, the Cardinals gave me a September that wasn't as [expletive] as what I was expecting a month ago. It seems like they're finally putting everything together and having fun out there. I wish it would have happened a few months ago, but at least we got to witness it.

Re: So you're saying there's a chance?

Posted: September 21 11, 10:53 pm
by MinorLeagueGuy
Sure am glad we're looking up with momentum, rather than watching the ground slip away.

Re: So you're saying there's a chance?

Posted: September 21 11, 11:01 pm
by jim
I won't be overly disappointed if we fall short. Just enjoying the ride wherever it goes.

Re: So you're saying there's a chance?

Posted: September 22 11, 12:17 am
by cardsfansince82
It would sure be fun to see this team continue the streak into the postseason, especially with the Phillies limping down the stretch. Or the Braves could back in and win the World Series like we did in 06...you never know.

So if we go 5-2 and they go 3-3 that would be a tie, correct? I think we would host the one game playoff since we won the head to head with them. It looks like it would be Lohse's turn in the rotation, or you could go with Jackson on short rest.

Re: So you're saying there's a chance?

Posted: September 22 11, 6:04 am
by jeffbgoofy
jim wrote:I won't be overly disappointed if we fall short. Just enjoying the ride wherever it goes.
this. really if you think about it, they can't win every year....

Re: So you're saying there's a chance?

Posted: September 22 11, 7:04 am
by Popeye_Card
Isn't it a coin flip for who hosts?

Re: So you're saying there's a chance?

Posted: September 22 11, 7:06 am
by cards2468
Popeye_Card wrote:Isn't it a coin flip for who hosts?
not anymore, it's now based on head-to-head records

Cards won the season series 5-1, I believe, so it'll be in StL