General Soccer Thread

A forum for non-baseball sports
Post Reply
User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Re: General Soccer Thread

Post by thrill »

Hoot45 wrote:The Gold Cup is a classic CONCACAF competition. The only point of it is to humiliate Mexico. That's all I care about. Looking too far into Klinsmann's approach to the tournament and its impact on the long-term quality of the squad is not important right now. Beat Mexico and Be Happy. We'll figure out the rest later.
No offense, but this is stupid. Winning the Gold Cup and having a well managed team and program are directly correlative.

To be clear, we are going to win this tournament. Mexico is a mess and no one else is good enough to beat us at home when Jurgen gets more pragmatic in the knock out rounds. I just wish he'd quit messing around so this team can build some cohesion for once.

MrSaigon

Re: General Soccer Thread

Post by MrSaigon »

Do we host the Gold Cup every time?

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Re: General Soccer Thread

Post by thrill »

MrSaigon wrote:Do we host the Gold Cup every time?
Yeah. We have the stadiums/infastructure/television production.

User avatar
Hoot45
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4008
Joined: October 8 14, 11:41 am

Re: General Soccer Thread

Post by Hoot45 »

thrill wrote:
Hoot45 wrote:The Gold Cup is a classic CONCACAF competition. The only point of it is to humiliate Mexico. That's all I care about. Looking too far into Klinsmann's approach to the tournament and its impact on the long-term quality of the squad is not important right now. Beat Mexico and Be Happy. We'll figure out the rest later.
No offense, but this is stupid. Winning the Gold Cup and having a well managed team and program are directly correlative.

To be clear, we are going to win this tournament. Mexico is a mess and no one else is good enough to beat us at home when Jurgen gets more pragmatic in the knock out rounds. I just wish he'd quit messing around so this team can build some cohesion for once.
Thank you kindly for showing me the respect to say "no offense" before rendering my opinion as stupid. An "I disagree" would have been sufficient, but the extra embellishment is the kind of color that keeps these threads so great. To your point, I disagree, and cheers. I'll be over here just enjoying the hell out of rooting for Mexico and the US to both make the final while not fretting over how this tournament is going to impact the performance of the program for the next billion years.

User avatar
Hoot45
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4008
Joined: October 8 14, 11:41 am

Re: General Soccer Thread

Post by Hoot45 »

thrill wrote:
MrSaigon wrote:Do we host the Gold Cup every time?
Yeah. We have the stadiums/infastructure/television production.
No. The cup has been hosted in Mexico and Canada as well. Although, the majority of the matches are normally held in the US.

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Re: General Soccer Thread

Post by thrill »

Hoot45 wrote: To your point, I disagree, and cheers. I'll be over here just enjoying the hell out of rooting for Mexico and the US to both make the final while not fretting over how this tournament is going to impact the performance of the program for the next billion years.
You're free to be as uncritical a fan as you like.
Hoot45 wrote:
thrill wrote:
MrSaigon wrote:Do we host the Gold Cup every time?
Yeah. We have the stadiums/infastructure/television production.
No. The cup has been hosted in Mexico and Canada as well. Although, the majority of the matches are normally held in the US.
There have been two matches in Toronto, last week. I don't think Canada could be considered the host. But you're right, in 1993, the majority of matches and the final were in Mexico. I think hipster soccer pedantry aside, yes was an adequate answer to saigon's question.

TimeForGuinness
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 20007
Joined: April 18 06, 7:38 pm

Re: General Soccer Thread

Post by TimeForGuinness »

http://streamable.com/dwyq

... T&T with the only proper way to respond

EDIT: Just noticed his face covered in laser pointers...not cool Mexico fans.

User avatar
Hoot45
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4008
Joined: October 8 14, 11:41 am

Re: General Soccer Thread

Post by Hoot45 »

That's as Mexico and CONCACAF as you can get. Although I didn't see any Mellow Yellow Bombs hit the kick taker, so maybe I'm wrong. Awesome response for T&T to steal the group with that play.

User avatar
JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls
Posts: 15010
Joined: April 16 06, 9:15 pm

Re: General Soccer Thread

Post by JackofDiamonds »

TimeForGuinness wrote:http://streamable.com/dwyq

... T&T with the only proper way to respond

EDIT: Just noticed his face covered in laser pointers...not cool Mexico fans.
I like that he's looking around for someone to say something... like Gold Cup refs were going to do anything.

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Re: General Soccer Thread

Post by thrill »

Who are the worst fans in sports: Mexican El Tri fans or Mexican American El Tri fans? Or Lakers fans?

Post Reply