Gashouse wrote:thrill wrote:Gashouse wrote:Why do the US teams change their uniforms so often? I don't watch enough international soccer to know for sure, but it seems like most countries keep a fairly consistent uniform from year to year. The US has a major overhaul each year.
$
Most teams tweak their jerseys enough to sell new ones, but you are correct in recognizing the US has less of a consistent identity and theme, which is a shame and mostly NIKE's fault. They treat the US like they treat Oregon's football jerseys.
I assumed as much. I still think it's really [expletive] stupid. I'm much much less inclined to buy anything that resembles their jersey if it changes radically every year. I would prefer to wear an old Lalas jersey from 1994 (if those jerseys hadn't been hideous) that more or less matched the current jersey than to wear a current player's jersey (say a 2014 Dempsey jersey) that looks nothing like the current version just 2 years later.
If the cards changed their logo every year, I wouldn't own any Cards gear. As it is, I have many hats and shirts for the whole family.
Most English and european football teams change all three of their kits every single season. I support Everton and they have changed all three of their kits for at least the last 15 years.
Of course people dont have to buy them but people with kids who want the latest gear arent so lucky.
They even stagger releasing the kits for maximum exposure.
It is all rather cynical too, Evertons home shirt is always blue, this season the away shirt is white, some teams have home shirts that are blue and white stripes so this means to avoid a colour clash they need a third shirt to sell so this season they have a green one.
It is all about the £.......sorry $.
National teams normally change their top before a World Cup or something like that.