Schlich wrote:I cant even begin to imagine why seijas thought that was a good idea
General Soccer Thread
- Transmogrified Tiger
- Puppy Murderer
- Posts: 9323
- Joined: April 25 06, 6:07 pm
- Location: Across the River
Re: General Soccer Thread
- Dillagii
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 7926
- Joined: April 18 06, 2:37 pm
Re: General Soccer Thread
https://youtu.be/ChuABNQOotM
Will never forget this moment in my life. I was watching the game with my Dad and my brother and when Donovan scored we were jumping up and down like crazy
Will never forget this moment in my life. I was watching the game with my Dad and my brother and when Donovan scored we were jumping up and down like crazy
- thrill
- bronoun enthusiast
- Posts: 30539
- Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
- Location: barely online
Re: General Soccer Thread
Preview for tonight: http://americansoccernow.com/articles/u ... -fullbacks
Hard to imagine beating arguably the best team in the world missing 3 key starters, but maybe Jurgen's luck will hold out.
Hard to imagine beating arguably the best team in the world missing 3 key starters, but maybe Jurgen's luck will hold out.
-
Fat Strat
- Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie
- Posts: 28010
- Joined: April 17 06, 9:16 pm
- Location: No. 16 on the Cards Top 15 Prospect List
Re: General Soccer Thread
I've had to watch most of the matches a day or two late because of summer schedule, so I was afraid to check in here and have everything spoiled.thrill wrote:Preview for tonight: http://americansoccernow.com/articles/u ... -fullbacks
Hard to imagine beating arguably the best team in the world missing 3 key starters, but maybe Jurgen's luck will hold out.
Watched the Argentina match Saturday and I just kept shaking my head. We have no real chance. Going to miss Bobby Wood the most, but Jones has been fantastic, too.
I've been very impressed with the way the club has looked the last month or two. If Jurgen would have put this side out there for the Gold Cup it probably would have gone differently. But, that's last summer...
Not sure how you can fault Jurgen for the roster he's built right now. The younger players who were under-developed as recently as qualifying last year look very solid. Wood. Zardes. Yedlin. Brooks (he looks all-world). Bradley is playing in position now. We've finally been able to add Cameron, Johnson, and Bedoya back into the mix. I like the group just behind them, too, with Zusi, Nagbe, and Besler. This is the best USMNT that I've seen in awhile. Certainly has the potential to be better than the last World Cup club.
We'll still get trounced tonight. But, I have no real issue with the direction we're headed at the moment. Add in Pulisic at some point and see what Morris ends up doing, and I feel 10x better about our chances in the Hex and in the World Cup than I did last year. This will/could be a very dangerous club.
- thrill
- bronoun enthusiast
- Posts: 30539
- Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
- Location: barely online
Re: General Soccer Thread
I don't. Other than being condescending and antagonistic to the american fan and press, which doesn't matter, he's stopped doing everything I hated. He got the roster right and he's playing a consistent lineup and style for the first time in his tenure. He's not playing people wildly out of position and he's not playing mind games with our best players.Fat Strat wrote:Not sure how you can fault Jurgen for the roster he's built right now.
He's still a weak in-game tactician, waits too long to sub and drove me crazy for 6 years straight, but he's done well this tournament. Probably not a coincidence that Sunil Gulati indicated his job was on the line right before this burst of sanity manifested in his team choices.
-
Fat Strat
- Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie
- Posts: 28010
- Joined: April 17 06, 9:16 pm
- Location: No. 16 on the Cards Top 15 Prospect List
Re: General Soccer Thread
Just for clarity's sake, I wasn't trying to imply that you had faulted him for the roster construction (I did quote you, but just in reference to the article). I just know that he's taken a lot of heat -- much of it deserved. But, right now, we're looking very good.thrill wrote:I don't. Other than being condescending and antagonistic to the american fan and press, which doesn't matter, he's stopped doing everything I hated. He got the roster right and he's playing a consistent lineup and style for the first time in his tenure. He's not playing people wildly out of position and he's not playing mind games with our best players.Fat Strat wrote:Not sure how you can fault Jurgen for the roster he's built right now.
He's still a weak in-game tactician, waits too long to sub and drove me crazy for 6 years straight, but he's done well this tournament. Probably not a coincidence that Sunil Gulati indicated his job was on the line right before this burst of sanity manifested in his team choices.
You follow it much closer than I do, but how much of the "sanity" that he's showing right now is due to the health of his players and the development of others? I guess we'll get our answer after the Copa and we start back into friendlies and hex play in the fall. I will be incredibly frustrated if the core of this roster is healthy and Jurgen chooses to tinker and mess around. (I expect him to keep doing that).
- Transmogrified Tiger
- Puppy Murderer
- Posts: 9323
- Joined: April 25 06, 6:07 pm
- Location: Across the River
Re: General Soccer Thread
I'm a borderline Klinsmann apologist, but taking Wondolowski over Morris is coming home to roost with Altidore hurt and Wood suspended.
Today's lineup will be a real test for how much of the Copa progress in Klinsmann's choices has been a mirage. I don't need to see Nagbe and Pulisic both in the 11, but starting Beckerman or Wondolowski would be a failure.
Today's lineup will be a real test for how much of the Copa progress in Klinsmann's choices has been a mirage. I don't need to see Nagbe and Pulisic both in the 11, but starting Beckerman or Wondolowski would be a failure.
- Transmogrified Tiger
- Puppy Murderer
- Posts: 9323
- Joined: April 25 06, 6:07 pm
- Location: Across the River
Re: General Soccer Thread
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I don't need to see Nagbe and Pulisic both in the 11, but starting Beckerman or Wondolowski would be a failure.

