I think I prepped the same as you, roughly. D/L-ed several projection systems, plugged in our values, averaged them out and assigned dollar values. I think, truly, you got value on Pujols, HanRam, Felix, who in our league are probably truly worth something like $75, $61, $43. I had a dollar amount I wanted to spend at each position, and then a very short wish list of guys I wanted at that price. By my math there are only about 21 guys in MLB who will be worth over 1000 points this year, and you and I both have 4 of them. I'm not surprised if we're 1-2 in this league.
I really really really wanted Posey. He's totally my boyfriend. But I only had $24 in the budget for him and he got too rich for me. Getting Santana at $20 was fine, esp because I think he out-hits Posey this year. It was still tough to tame my man-crush. I also really wanted Felix, but I had $35 budgeted there and it was too early to tell if I could start getting over my budget and still maintain my gameplan by going too high on one guy at that point. My plan was Felix/Scherzer at 1/2 for $35/$15. I feel like I came out better with Haren/CC for $26/21 in those slots, and was still able to get Scherzer since I underspent my budget on Santana and Beckham. I really wanted Teheran, just to park him for a year, and then roll him out next year, especially with the two rabid fans in the league. Bradshaw spending his last $21 on a guy who won't play this year, who he won't keep next year due to inflation, is one of the funnier things I've seen in a while. But what the heck, I got Shelby for a buck and can afford to hang on to him for a year or two. And Garett whiffed on second base completely, while Shaun was getting like 4 of them and Onorato was getting Kelly Johnson for $7, and now he's offering me a $1 Mike Trout for a $2 Neil Walker.
I'm with you on the SP/RP eligibility. I thought Ogando was a steal for a buck since he'll open in the rotation and get some innings and probably strike out a hitter per IP. Jay took McClellan for, I would assume, the same reason. Definitely an inefficiency others didnt' see, and I found it odd in a league that scores holds and values IP and K/BB/HR as much as it does the Save that pretty much everyone took closers only. I only have one true one and am ok with that.
I'm also with you on the rosters. My plan was to spend to get someone in the top 5-6 at each position, and to target the guys who would outperform what I'd get them for. I planned to spend for a 1B to make sure I didn't get Butler or something and drop 200 points from Fielder to him, and to get one of the three premium LF because I think there's an enormous gap between Braun/Cargo/Holliday and the rest. Crawford at $40, for this league scoring, was the worst buy of the night IMO. He's about $20 for this league. My bench I intended to fill with one starter who'd be cheap, but up and dominant by June (got him: Britton), one P I could hold a year or two (got him: Shelby), a 3B prospect who could back up Panda at the end of the year if he doesn't bounce back like I expect (got him: Moose), to get Belt and Ka'aihue so if one blows up I can possibly deal Prince for a need later (got 'em), and to get another couple prospects likely to be raking next year (got Montero, will soon have Trout.) I had no intention of getting Neil Walker, but Garett was bidding me up on Moose, Belt, etc. and he had money left and no 2B, so I bumped his $1 to $2 and got stuck with him. Oh well.
I had no intention of going the two-start route. If I have my four guys who I'm happy with and they stay healthy I have a good idea of what they'll provide for me. I didn't want to be in a position of, say, starting Anibal Sanchez b/c he has two starts this week and sitting Brett Anderson because he only has one. With only four SP slots, and CC, Haren, Scherzer, Anderson, if they stay healthy and I can run them out every week, I'm more than fine with that.
This is going to be a super fun league. Nice balance of fans--3 STL, 2 CHW, 2 ATL, 1 CIN, 1 MIN, 1 NYM, 1 TEX. Good smack talk during the draft. I think it will be plenty active trade-wise. Looking forward to it.
Saber-slanted Fantasy Baseball
- themiddle54
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 4524
- Joined: August 24 10, 2:49 pm
- themiddle54
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 4524
- Joined: August 24 10, 2:49 pm
Re: Saber-slanted Fantasy Baseball
POSEY HIPSTERS
C - CARLOS SANTANA $20
1B - PRINCE FIELDER $32
2B - GORDON BECKHAM $14
SS - STEPHEN DREW $11
3B - PABLO SANDOVAL $10
LF - RYAN BRAUN $34
CF - COLBY RASMUS $10
RF - NICK MARKAKIS $14
UT - KILA KA'AIHUE $7
SP - CC SABATHIA $26
SP - DAN HAREN $21
SP - MAX SCHERZER $14
SP - BRETT ANDERSON $6
RP - ALEXI OGANDO $1
RP - DAVID ROBERTSON $1
RP - LEO NUNEZ $1
BN - MIKE MOUSTAKAS $6
BN - BRANDON BELT $7
BN - NEIL WALKER $2 (pending trade for a $1 Mike Trout)
BN - ZACH BRITTON $1
BN - JESUS MONTERO $1
BN - SHELBY MILLER $1
C - CARLOS SANTANA $20
1B - PRINCE FIELDER $32
2B - GORDON BECKHAM $14
SS - STEPHEN DREW $11
3B - PABLO SANDOVAL $10
LF - RYAN BRAUN $34
CF - COLBY RASMUS $10
RF - NICK MARKAKIS $14
UT - KILA KA'AIHUE $7
SP - CC SABATHIA $26
SP - DAN HAREN $21
SP - MAX SCHERZER $14
SP - BRETT ANDERSON $6
RP - ALEXI OGANDO $1
RP - DAVID ROBERTSON $1
RP - LEO NUNEZ $1
BN - MIKE MOUSTAKAS $6
BN - BRANDON BELT $7
BN - NEIL WALKER $2 (pending trade for a $1 Mike Trout)
BN - ZACH BRITTON $1
BN - JESUS MONTERO $1
BN - SHELBY MILLER $1
- StatmanCrothers
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 6461
- Joined: April 17 06, 6:50 am
- Location: Boston burbs
- Contact:
Re: Saber-slanted Fantasy Baseball
yeah you got a good team. I was hoping for Markakis but was out of money and he went for higher than I expected. I was happy enough to get Swisher because the pickings were getting really slim by that point.
- themiddle54
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 4524
- Joined: August 24 10, 2:49 pm
Re: Saber-slanted Fantasy Baseball
Holy James Shields, Statman!
- themiddle54
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 4524
- Joined: August 24 10, 2:49 pm
Re: Saber-slanted Fantasy Baseball
If anyone wants to play next year, I'm at 11 teams, guys are setting their keepers in the next month, and I can put together some kind of expansion draft.
Fun league. You don't have to get screwed in playoffs, b/c it's season-long points. One guy was up 400 points with a month left. He finished 4th. I was in 4th with a month left. Finished 2nd. There are a few very very bad owners in this league who are playing for fun and donating their $50. And 7-8 who are active.
Great league if you like prospects, since the benches are deep. My keepers going into next year are Montero, Moore, Hosmer, Trout, and a few more guys like that. So you can prospect for a couple years out and still compete in the league.
[/salespitch]
Fun league. You don't have to get screwed in playoffs, b/c it's season-long points. One guy was up 400 points with a month left. He finished 4th. I was in 4th with a month left. Finished 2nd. There are a few very very bad owners in this league who are playing for fun and donating their $50. And 7-8 who are active.
Great league if you like prospects, since the benches are deep. My keepers going into next year are Montero, Moore, Hosmer, Trout, and a few more guys like that. So you can prospect for a couple years out and still compete in the league.
[/salespitch]

