I know, cases aren’t deaths and hospitalizations. But how is this remotely over? When is the last time hundreds of thousands of people in the country got simultaneously infected with something that isn’t a cold?
There will always be peaks and valleys in cases/hosps/deaths. Ignoring that this is a the cumulation of two peaks (seasonal and omicron) cresting at the same time to pretend we're in terrible shape is almost disingenuous.
Sure, hospitals are stretched thin. And, if they don't expand capacity, they will continue to be stretched thin well into the future. Doesn't mean everyone faces much of an increased risk, there are large swaths of the population, namely the young and/or vaxxed, that face minimal risk. Yet, here we are, acting like its Armageddon again.
See, to me that’s disingenuous. Nobody’s acting like it’s Armageddon. I mean maybe someone is. What many people are doing is recognizing a strain on resources and taking steps to minimize it. That’s not panicking. It’s just recognizing the reality of what’s going on around you and trying to do something. The seasonal stuff is going to happen but some of the Covid mitigation measures address that as well. Masks included. So if your schools or hospitals are having problems like they’re having, it’s not crazy to implement some of those measures.
Pretty much every public health resource is recommending some of these measures. Not to mention immunologists, virologists, and epidemiologists. You can say the experts are failing here but people are just following advice to varying extents. They’re not out of their minds.
Last edited by ghostrunner on January 8 22, 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I mean, it’s extremely bad and remains so, but not because of the risk to healthy vaccinated people or children. The children thing in particular really makes me angry, as there is clearly an attempt to use people’s deepest fears for manipulation. I don’t know how many “pediatric hospitalizations are exploding” headlines I’ve read that don’t hold up to any look at at risk context. It’s extremely gross.
The constant testing and freak outs in classrooms is not accomplishing anything. Get vaxxed and relax.
I think that's happening on both sides, though, especially in regards to schools reopening/staying open. It starts out with a reasonable enough position of "we have to do cost-benefit analysis of COVID mitigation"... except they're starting from the position that the cost of school closures is infinity.
I mean, it’s extremely bad and remains so, but not because of the risk to healthy vaccinated people or children. The children thing in particular really makes me angry, as there is clearly an attempt to use people’s deepest fears for manipulation. I don’t know how many “pediatric hospitalizations are exploding” headlines I’ve read that don’t hold up to any look at at risk context. It’s extremely gross.
The constant testing and freak outs in classrooms is not accomplishing anything. Get vaxxed and relax.
Not sure what you mean by the hospitals thing. Do you mean the hospitals are over-admitting?
I can tell you in my kids high school there’s plenty of disagreement between parents on this, so this isn’t all coming from the top or from the media. Maybe the parents are influenced by media, which I’m sure is true, but the schools are getting it from all sides. Some of this is extended from pre or early vaccine times when I’d say most parents were in agreement on remote learning being the way to go.
The problem is not that cost is infinity (though it is very high) but that the benefit is very low to zero. The only reason I see to do it is if you don’t have the people to stay open.
I only post the thing about the kid in school because it’s a picture of what schools are like currently in some places.
Anyway there’s always been ridiculous kids like that. Teenagers are performative.
Sounds like a bunch of kids are acting like they're somehow victims when they all gave it to each other in someone's living room a week ago, not their auditorium study hall at their short-staffed school. They're in more danger of getting hit by a bus when they leave than severe covid outcomes.
I might be exaggerating a bit here, but millions of people are dead and there are severe repercussions of the last couple of years and I find that post to be kinda ridiculous.
I don't have the percentages in front of me, but I've heard numerous interviews with hospital administrators saying the hospitalization stats are a little misleading. Yes, they are getting crushed with people presenting with Covid symptoms, but they are also getting a lot of people showing up for some other reason who happen to test positive for Covid after being admitted for some other cause. So that is skewing the "Covid hospitalization" numbers somewhat.
I only post the thing about the kid in school because it’s a picture of what schools are like currently in some places.
Anyway there’s always been ridiculous kids like that. Teenagers are performative.
Sounds like a bunch of kids are acting like they're somehow victims when they all gave it to each other in someone's living room a week ago, not their auditorium study hall at their short-staffed school. They're in more danger of getting hit by a bus when they leave than severe covid outcomes.
I might be exaggerating a bit here, but millions of people are dead and there are severe repercussions of the last couple of years and I find that post to be kinda ridiculous.
I read it more as just straight “reportage” vs complaining, though I guess there’s a bit of that. Assuming it’s all true I think you can suss out enough factual information to understand what’s going on. Several teachers are absent, kids are reporting positive in greater numbers, classroom time is unproductive and the writer feels like remote would be more productive. I suppose they may want to go home so they can goof off, but who knows. It’s one kid’s opinion an since it’s a kid I think you have to cut some slack on the writing and the behavior too for that matter.
I don't have the percentages in front of me, but I've heard numerous interviews with hospital administrators saying the hospitalization stats are a little misleading. Yes, they are getting crushed with people presenting with Covid symptoms, but they are also getting a lot of people showing up for some other reason who happen to test positive for Covid after being admitted for some other cause. So that is skewing the "Covid hospitalization" numbers somewhat.
No doubt that’s true. I suppose it may also be that hospitals are this pressed every year, and we just don’t hear or read news stories about it.
Indiana has tracked ICU beds since the beginning of the pandemic and it looks like this.
So we’ve got fewer Covid patients in ICU than last winter’s Covid spike, but we’ve got a lot more non-Covid. Not sure what this is attributable to but either way we’re at our peak since they started tracking it.