Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
Locked
Socnorb11
The Last Word
Posts: 21906
Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by Socnorb11 »

Spider John wrote:It showed poor judgment by Obama to use the line, whether it was meant as a jab at Palin or not. It left him open for the negative uproar it is causing.

It may be ridiculous to base your vote on this one thing, but there are some who will vote for McCain because of this, just as some will vote for McCain just because he has chosen a woman for his VP, or Obama because he is black. Many of the votes cast in elections have little to do with the issues.
The difference is that Obama is very clearly black. Palin is very clearly a woman. The "pig" comment is simply one person's interpretation versus another person's.

User avatar
cardsfansince82
is shooing asian children away from his fridge.
Posts: 27776
Joined: May 17 06, 10:23 pm
Location: at the gettin' place

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by cardsfansince82 »

Call me rational, but there's not much of anything I am going to pay attention to until the debates.

User avatar
BW23
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 12896
Joined: July 7 06, 11:08 pm

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by BW23 »

lukethedrifter wrote:
BW23 wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:
BW23 wrote:
lukethedrifter wrote:I can't believe the stupidity of Americans. This tripe that BW keeps repeating is just utter nonsense but it clearly works and that depresses me. OTOH the digging through Palin's garbage can to find some trash that may stick when thrown against the wall is nearly as depressing yet doesn't work. When did Republicans get so good at playing the victim? Politics is certainly a cynics game.
Sorry that I'm stupid, I guess.

I think the Rep party is just better at the PR game at the moment. As I've said many times, that can change quickly. I never thought they could out-duel the Obama camp in that game. Not this year. Not in any way. But they're clearly ahead, and Obama and Biden seem to be at a desperate level at the moment.
You should certainly be proud of yourself.
What's that mean?
I guess I'm just bitter at regular people who promote the politics of the sound bite. I am sure you aren't dumb but rather cagey and adept at parsing words to find a useable soundbite to make a point, one that has little to do with leadership.
Fine.

I play the PR game when I have to, but not at that level of tearing down others. And I'm not promoting sound bites. I just acknowledge what the game is and what the rules are. It was such an incredibly stupid comment. I believe there was clear intent, and I believe it didn't go quite like they planned. Now they're in back-tracking mode.

Do I believe he meant Palin and McCain in his words? Absolutely. But I couldn't care less what people believe. I've just stated my opinion. I just find it laughable on so many levels. So, so, so many levels. Even on the level that he called her a pig and McCain and old fish.

It's unfortunate that so many will hold onto this. But it's not surprising it's become a media story. It shouldn't have surprised Obama's camp. And I don't think it did.

Socnorb11
The Last Word
Posts: 21906
Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by Socnorb11 »

pop_haines wrote:
BW23 wrote:
I think Obama peaked a few months ago. But I thought once he started matching up with McCain, he'd go back up. Hasn't really worked that way. The chance he had to do it was snuffed out with the timing of the Palin announcement. This was a week where they could have started moving forward again, but I believe they've gone back further. The pig and Muslim comments from Obama and the numerous gaffes by Biden have outweighed anything positive at all that they've said.
Did you watch Obama on O'Reilly?

After a rocky start (the usual O'Reilly aggro-act) they settled
down to a pretty interesting session of give and take and they
were even joking around at the end.

At first, I thought this would be a bad idea but now I think it's
a winner.
I thought it was a good mixture of entertainment and information. I thought Obama came off as being really well-informed on foreign policy. Moreso than I even hoped for from him.

I thought it was funny when Obama said he'd spot O'Reilly 10 points in a basketball game to 11, and O'Reilly asked if he could have a cabinet position if he won.

It was a good, fair barb, in my opinion.

User avatar
BW23
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 12896
Joined: July 7 06, 11:08 pm

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by BW23 »

pop_haines wrote:
BW23 wrote:
I think Obama peaked a few months ago. But I thought once he started matching up with McCain, he'd go back up. Hasn't really worked that way. The chance he had to do it was snuffed out with the timing of the Palin announcement. This was a week where they could have started moving forward again, but I believe they've gone back further. The pig and Muslim comments from Obama and the numerous gaffes by Biden have outweighed anything positive at all that they've said.
Did you watch Obama on O'Reilly?

After a rocky start (the usual O'Reilly aggro-act) they settled
down to a pretty interesting session of give and take and they
were even joking around at the end.

At first, I thought this would be a bad idea but now I think it's
a winner.
Nope. Haven't had time yet. Then again, I really should stop here and do so at some point. Maybe at lunch.

User avatar
JL21
NPR & THT Contributor
Posts: 36109
Joined: April 18 06, 7:44 am
Location: Chocolate City

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by JL21 »

cardsfansince82 wrote:Call me rational, but there's not much of anything I am going to pay attention to until the debates.
I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
Posts: 27563
Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Location: Thinking of the Children

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

pop_haines wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
I thought it was a good mixture of entertainment and information. I thought Obama came off as being really well-informed on foreign policy. Moreso than I even hoped for from him.

I thought it was funny when Obama said he'd spot O'Reilly 10 points in a basketball game to 11, and O'Reilly asked if he could have a cabinet position if he won.

It was a good, fair barb, in my opinion.
That rejoinder of Obama spotting 10 points was great.

Still, I'd be careful: Bill supposedly has a pretty good outside shot.
If O'Reilly ever gets a cabinet position, I don't know what I'd do. But, it would have to be after I got done puking....and it wouldn't be pretty.

User avatar
BW23
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 12896
Joined: July 7 06, 11:08 pm

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by BW23 »

pop_haines wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
I thought it was a good mixture of entertainment and information. I thought Obama came off as being really well-informed on foreign policy. Moreso than I even hoped for from him.

I thought it was funny when Obama said he'd spot O'Reilly 10 points in a basketball game to 11, and O'Reilly asked if he could have a cabinet position if he won.

It was a good, fair barb, in my opinion.
That rejoinder of Obama spotting 10 points was great.

Still, I'd be careful: Bill supposedly has a pretty good outside shot.
See, as a white male that never was as good at basketball as I would have liked, that comment about spotting him 10 points upsets me. :D

User avatar
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn
Posts: 43295
Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by heyzeus »

I'm glad OBama went on O'Reilly, if nothing else, so that Bill has to stop proudly claiming "We've invited Senator Obama to be on our show, but he refuses to come" every day. I'd like to watch that. I think all politicians should be subject to hard questions from the opposing viewpoint.

If anyone saw Obama on Stephanopolous' show over the weekend, I didn't think he did particularly well. He's clearly on the defensive and trying to reposition from the Palin situation, but his redirects towards "positive" talking points seemed insincere.

Socnorb11
The Last Word
Posts: 21906
Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am

Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin: The Thread

Post by Socnorb11 »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
pop_haines wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
I thought it was a good mixture of entertainment and information. I thought Obama came off as being really well-informed on foreign policy. Moreso than I even hoped for from him.

I thought it was funny when Obama said he'd spot O'Reilly 10 points in a basketball game to 11, and O'Reilly asked if he could have a cabinet position if he won.

It was a good, fair barb, in my opinion.
That rejoinder of Obama spotting 10 points was great.

Still, I'd be careful: Bill supposedly has a pretty good outside shot.
If O'Reilly ever gets a cabinet position, I don't know what I'd do. But, it would have to be after I got done puking....and it wouldn't be pretty.

Really? I actually don't mind O'Reilly. And that's saying something, because I'm on the left side of the fence right now.

Locked