Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Finalized!)

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
Locked
User avatar
haltz
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 22630
Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
Location: a proud midwestern metropolis

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus pending physicals

Post by haltz »

Well, there it is. Case closed.

User avatar
skmsw
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 6340
Joined: April 18 06, 7:12 pm
Location: The Hub

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus pending physicals

Post by skmsw »

Socnorb11 wrote:
skmsw wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
skmsw wrote:
In other words, he's always done things to make his team worse.
OK, I'll say it. This is completely off topic, and possibly worth its own thread, but I'll say it.

He has NOT "always done things to make his team worse." It's just that what he does used to be ahead of the curve, and now, it's behind it.

He is still doing the same things he has always done. It's just that, as often is the case among those innovators whom their inustry has finally caught up to and passed by, things he does that USED to make him smarter than everyone else and give him an edge, when the competititon was behaving and making decisions in a certain way, are no longer giving him that edge as the competition learns new ways of thinking and behaving but he does not change.

We've learned things since he first came up with his approach to winning games, and some of his ways, we now know, do not work. When everyone else knew even less, he had an edge; as research evolves and the way the game is understood advances, but he keeps doing things the same way as always, what had put him a few steps ahead, what was progressive, now has him a few steps behind, is now outmoded.

There. I said it.
He won a World Championship a little over a year ago. Things must have evolved and passed him by REALLY quickly.
Whether your argument is completely spurious or not depends on how much you think the manager influences the outcome. I'm not saying there is no effect, but I am saying that the effect is not 1:1, which is the only condition in which your argument above refutes mine.
I'd say the effect is pretty limited, and people who think the team is "doomed" with him as manager are afflicted with Chicken Little Syndrome.
Well, that's odd. I couldv'e sworn that just a second ago you were suggesting that "his" world series win was . . . . but now you're saying that . . . . well, never mind.

Anyhow, who said the team is "doomed" with him?

Socnorb11
The Last Word
Posts: 21906
Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus pending physicals

Post by Socnorb11 »

haltz wrote:I'm pretty sure you haven't been in a coma this offseason, because you respond to me this same way every time I make this same point. You do know what I mean.

I said to put it mildly and obviously I think he has more influence than a manager should have. Read my last posts in this thread.
I have no intention of reading all of your posts in the thread. I already know how you feel about Larussa. I just think it's irrelevant to say that he influences decisions. He's managing a successful Major League baseball team. I would hope he's influencing decisions. I just don't know how you can put a measuring stick on which managers are influencing the front office more than others. Especially since none of us are "insiders" on the Cardinals, much less the other 31 teams. It seems like a REALLy arbitrary case to make.

Socnorb11
The Last Word
Posts: 21906
Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus pending physicals

Post by Socnorb11 »

skmsw wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
skmsw wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:
skmsw wrote:
In other words, he's always done things to make his team worse.
OK, I'll say it. This is completely off topic, and possibly worth its own thread, but I'll say it.

He has NOT "always done things to make his team worse." It's just that what he does used to be ahead of the curve, and now, it's behind it.

He is still doing the same things he has always done. It's just that, as often is the case among those innovators whom their inustry has finally caught up to and passed by, things he does that USED to make him smarter than everyone else and give him an edge, when the competititon was behaving and making decisions in a certain way, are no longer giving him that edge as the competition learns new ways of thinking and behaving but he does not change.

We've learned things since he first came up with his approach to winning games, and some of his ways, we now know, do not work. When everyone else knew even less, he had an edge; as research evolves and the way the game is understood advances, but he keeps doing things the same way as always, what had put him a few steps ahead, what was progressive, now has him a few steps behind, is now outmoded.

There. I said it.
He won a World Championship a little over a year ago. Things must have evolved and passed him by REALLY quickly.
Whether your argument is completely spurious or not depends on how much you think the manager influences the outcome. I'm not saying there is no effect, but I am saying that the effect is not 1:1, which is the only condition in which your argument above refutes mine.
I'd say the effect is pretty limited, and people who think the team is "doomed" with him as manager are afflicted with Chicken Little Syndrome.
Well, that's odd. I couldv'e sworn that just a second ago you were suggesting that "his" world series win was . . . . but now you're saying that . . . . well, never mind.

Anyhow, who said the team is "doomed" with him?
Point taken.

Personally, I don't think that a team can win a World Championship with a manager whose has seen the game pass him by, which was the way I interpreted your post. Maybe I read too much into it........

User avatar
cpebbles
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 8829
Joined: August 30 07, 12:28 pm

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus pending physicals

Post by cpebbles »

Socnorb11 wrote:I have no intention of reading all of your posts in the thread. I already know how you feel about Larussa. I just think it's irrelevant to say that he influences decisions. He's managing a successful Major League baseball team. I would hope he's influencing decisions. I just don't know how you can put a measuring stick on which managers are influencing the front office more than others. Especially since none of us are "insiders" on the Cardinals, much less the other 31 teams. It seems like a REALLy arbitrary case to make.
I actually went and counted, just to be sure I hadn't gone crazy.

User avatar
haltz
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 22630
Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
Location: a proud midwestern metropolis

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus pending physicals

Post by haltz »

Socnorb11 wrote:I already know how you feel about Larussa.
My head exploded.
I just don't know how you can put a measuring stick on which managers are influencing the front office more than others.
You can't, but at some point after it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's too late. I said "to put it mildly" insinuating that I think he's influencing the decisions too much anyway. I don't want to point that out or my entire posting history this offseason again.

User avatar
skmsw
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 6340
Joined: April 18 06, 7:12 pm
Location: The Hub

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus pending physicals

Post by skmsw »

Personally, I don't think that a team can win a World Championship with a manager whose has seen the game pass him by, which was the way I interpreted your post. Maybe I read too much into it........
Again, it depends on how much one believes that the manager affects the outcome. In my opinion, the better the team, the less a good manager contributes -- AND the less a bad manager can side-track.

Socnorb11
The Last Word
Posts: 21906
Joined: June 21 06, 8:45 am

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus pending physicals

Post by Socnorb11 »

cpebbles wrote:
Socnorb11 wrote:I have no intention of reading all of your posts in the thread. I already know how you feel about Larussa. I just think it's irrelevant to say that he influences decisions. He's managing a successful Major League baseball team. I would hope he's influencing decisions. I just don't know how you can put a measuring stick on which managers are influencing the front office more than others. Especially since none of us are "insiders" on the Cardinals, much less the other 31 teams. It seems like a REALLy arbitrary case to make.
I actually went and counted, just to be sure I hadn't gone crazy.
I'm an idiot. Been watching too much football today.

Online
User avatar
ghostrunner
GOAT
Posts: 30814
Joined: April 18 06, 9:40 pm

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus pending physicals

Post by ghostrunner »

I hope I never find out, but I wonder what the page count would be if Pujols were traded.

User avatar
sighyoung
Mayor of GRB
Posts: 38613
Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
Location: Louisville

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus pending physicals

Post by sighyoung »

ghostrunner wrote:I hope I never find out, but I wonder what the page count would be if Pujols were traded.
Can a mushroom cloud have a page count?

Locked