movies
-
Freed Roger
- Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
- Posts: 26073
- Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
- Location: St. Louis
Re: Recently viewed movies
a confession -routinely I turn on the english subtitles for non-foreign films.
-
Jocephus
- 99% conan clips
- Posts: 64992
- Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm
Re: Recently viewed movies
same here...it helps me get the full context of things...Freed Roger wrote:a confession -routinely I turn on the english subtitles for non-foreign films.
- omaha_red
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 12963
- Joined: April 18 06, 7:53 am
- Location: toning it done
Re: Recently viewed movies
Freed Roger wrote:a confession -routinely I turn on the english subtitles for non-foreign films.
i do this for every single movie i watch no matter what it is.. it helps me pay attention..
- wart57
- just can't quit you.
- Posts: 25075
- Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
- Location: Lost
Re: Recently viewed movies
Turn on the French subtitles next time and learn French whie watching a movie....omaha_red wrote:Freed Roger wrote:a confession -routinely I turn on the english subtitles for non-foreign films.
i do this for every single movie i watch no matter what it is.. it helps me pay attention..
-
Freed Roger
- Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
- Posts: 26073
- Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
- Location: St. Louis
Re: Recently viewed movies
does that work?wart57 wrote:Turn on the French subtitles next time and learn French whie watching a movie....omaha_red wrote:Freed Roger wrote:a confession -routinely I turn on the english subtitles for non-foreign films.
i do this for every single movie i watch no matter what it is.. it helps me pay attention..
- wart57
- just can't quit you.
- Posts: 25075
- Joined: April 18 06, 4:33 pm
- Location: Lost
Re: Recently viewed movies
Only if you can read French.Freed Roger wrote:does that work?wart57 wrote:Turn on the French subtitles next time and learn French whie watching a movie....omaha_red wrote:Freed Roger wrote:a confession -routinely I turn on the english subtitles for non-foreign films.
i do this for every single movie i watch no matter what it is.. it helps me pay attention..
- clement
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 6008
- Joined: April 20 06, 10:26 pm
Re: Recently viewed movies
I watched "Elegy" two nights ago, and really loved it. It's a little indulgent in places, but there were a lot of really poignant moments and Ben Kingsley and Penelope Cruz played off each other quite well. Debbie Harry's (to my surprise) appearance was just bonus. The side stories involving the friend (played by Dennis Hopper) and his son (played by Stellan Skarsgaard) both added a lot. 8.5/10
Tonight I watched "The Reader". Got off to a good start, but by the end of it I was squirming in my seat. Too long and too drawn out. The dialogue was just so forced and there were too many scenes where people didn't say things when they should have opened their freakin' mouths. I never quite understood why a person would choose to spend the rest of her life in prison rather than admit that she can't read - and I'm not sure why a person who is illiterate is presented as someone who seems mentally retarded. Reminded me of the silliness that was "Dancer in the Dark". The acting is quite okay I suppose, and it's a competently made movie, but that Oscar loves this kind of movie and ignores far better movies like the one above is why I can't be bothered with the Academy Awards. Passable, but irritating. 5/10
dill, haven't had a chance to watch Ghajini yet.
Tonight I watched "The Reader". Got off to a good start, but by the end of it I was squirming in my seat. Too long and too drawn out. The dialogue was just so forced and there were too many scenes where people didn't say things when they should have opened their freakin' mouths. I never quite understood why a person would choose to spend the rest of her life in prison rather than admit that she can't read - and I'm not sure why a person who is illiterate is presented as someone who seems mentally retarded. Reminded me of the silliness that was "Dancer in the Dark". The acting is quite okay I suppose, and it's a competently made movie, but that Oscar loves this kind of movie and ignores far better movies like the one above is why I can't be bothered with the Academy Awards. Passable, but irritating. 5/10
dill, haven't had a chance to watch Ghajini yet.
- The Third Man
- It rubs the lotion on its skin.
- Posts: 8935
- Joined: July 17 06, 1:00 pm
Re: Recently viewed movies
omaha_red wrote:this is why the classics are so great.. they never let you downFreed Roger wrote:Kind of embarassing to admit I watched this for the first time just last night - "On the Waterfront." Just Awesome. Easy to see why it ranks high on all-time lists.
Sad that it is not to have seen this movie yet, it is great to have the huge void in my movie-watching repertoire - I get to see classics like this, as if they were brand new.
Anyway, On the Waterfront is pretty good. East of Eden is better. I still haven't seen A Streetcar Named Desire.
-
Michael
- GRB Founder
- Posts: 35303
- Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
- Location: Chicago, IL
- Contact:
- stlouie_lipp
- Hallelujah Brother
- Posts: 13380
- Joined: April 17 06, 7:36 pm
Re: Recently viewed movies
Dude...was that necessary?






