Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Finalized!)

Classic threads for your viewing pleasure.
Locked
User avatar
Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 7458
Joined: December 22 06, 1:06 am

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus pending physicals

Post by Richie Allen »

tenniseleven wrote:this board is going to be pretty dead
I don't think there's any fear of that.

User avatar
haltz
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 22630
Joined: November 9 06, 6:45 am
Location: a proud midwestern metropolis

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus pending physicals

Post by haltz »

KyCardinalFan wrote:(I'm thinking of instances virtually everyone knew he couldn't bat except him; his refusal to see a day off here or there could be beneficial) Poor communication went both ways, but I feel like Rolen did more to perpetuate it.
So we're blaming Rolen for playing when he was hurt? Damned if you do I guess. There is one person that's said anything publicly, and that's Tony. I really don't know what Rolen has done to perpetuate this nonsense, and frankly don't care. They're equally to blame as far as I know, and if I'm Rolen I might ask for a trade at this point as well.

The TLR lens must be applied to this situation from the Cardinals end. It's silly to think that Rolen didn't have to go at this point. My only point this entire time is that if we want to get an objective take on his medical history, and projections, we should probably look to the Blue Jays. They have no reason to trade for Rolen if they don't think he's worth the risk. That's what interests me, and the fact that the Cardinals think LaRussa is so impactful on wins in the regular season that they are willing to tie Mo's arm behind his back on a $36M decision. Not the soap opera.

Sure, we should evaluate a trade at the time, and then look for indicators that a team knew more than we did down the line. The fact remains, that the Cardinals have to make the decision at hour 0, so the analysis on a Cardinals message board can start then. Part of the fun (and we aren't performing rocket surgery here) is seeing where you were right or wrong. At least to me.
Last edited by haltz on January 14 08, 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 7458
Joined: December 22 06, 1:06 am

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus pending physicals

Post by Richie Allen »

KyCardinalFan wrote:If Rolen is such a competitor, then he should act in the interest of the team and not himself. (I'm thinking of instances virtually everyone knew he couldn't bat except him; his refusal to see a day off here or there could be beneficial) Poor communication went both ways, but I feel like Rolen did more to perpetuate it.
Well, that's what's confused me about the '06 playoff instance. In a way, they were both right. Rolen was swinging like crap so LaRussa benched him. And it payed off with a big performance from Spez. But Rolen obviously was healthy enough to play, as witnessed by his near MVP performance after the benching. Real competitors, in my mind, would have recognized they both did what they needed to to prove themselves and win a World Series. Shake hands a laugh it off. Instead, as world champions they decided to pout about it. For over a year. No right and no wrong as far as I'm concerned. Both wrong.

User avatar
Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 7458
Joined: December 22 06, 1:06 am

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus pending physicals

Post by Richie Allen »

haltz wrote:They're equally to blame as far as I know, and if I'm Rolen I might ask for a trade at this point as well.
If Rolen was healthy (now and over the past year) and this nonsense between him and Tony had initiated his being traded, I'd be really, really pissed right now. And probably almost all of it toward LaRussa.

User avatar
clement
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 6008
Joined: April 20 06, 10:26 pm

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus pending physicals

Post by clement »

Richie Allen wrote:
haltz wrote:They're equally to blame as far as I know, and if I'm Rolen I might ask for a trade at this point as well.
If Rolen was healthy (now and over the past year) and this nonsense between him and Tony had initiated his being traded, I'd be really, really pissed right now. And probably almost all of it toward LaRussa.
I'm not sure why the blame would be laid with Larussa, but that's another debate. The main point I want to make is that if everything were the same except that Rolen were healthy and productive, then we would have been able to get a lot more in return.

User avatar
dangerous
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4320
Joined: October 3 06, 12:33 am
Location: 605 Freeway at 91

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus pending physicals

Post by dangerous »

greenback44 wrote:
dangerous wrote:A nerve decompression implies he had a tarsal tunnel syndrome (the ankle equivalent of a carpal tunnel) because surgery for plantar fasciitis is not done much anymore.
Doc, am I on the right track here:

Link
In severe cases, the patient may not respond to conservative treatment and may need surgical treatment or tarsal tunnel release surgery...

Complications may include bleeding, infection, and unpredictable healing. The incision may open from swelling. There may be considerable pain and cramping.

Regenerating nerve fibers may create shooting pains. Patients may have hot or cold sensations and may feel worse than before surgery. Crutches are usually recommended for the first two weeks, as well as elevation to minimize swelling. The nerve will grow at about one inch per month. One can expect to continue the healing process over the course of about one year.

Many patients report good results. Some, however, experience no improvement or a worsening of symptoms. In the Pfeiffer article (Los Angeles, 1996), less than 50% of the patients reported improvement, and there was a 13 % complication rate. This is a staggering percentage of complications for what is a fairly superficial and minor surgical procedure.

Tarsal tunnel can greatly impact patients' quality of life. Depending on the severity, the ability to walk distances people normally take for granted (such as grocery shopping) may become compromised. Proper pain management and counselling is often required.
Interesting information-- maybe Toronto thinks Glaus is not going to get better so we're getting damaged goods for damaged goods.

User avatar
skmsw
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 6340
Joined: April 18 06, 7:12 pm
Location: The Hub

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus pending physicals

Post by skmsw »

If it is true that we're sending $3 to $4mm along with Scotty, then I'm guessing we're getting the less damaged of the two.

User avatar
Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 7458
Joined: December 22 06, 1:06 am

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus pending physicals

Post by Richie Allen »

clement wrote:I'm not sure why the blame would be laid with Larussa, but that's another debate.
First, and foremost, I think Rolen (when healthy) has a lot more potential to impact the W/L column than any manager ever could, including LaRussa. Second, I like Rolen a lot more than Tony. Third, as a manager, Tony has often been subjected to this type of situation. He had the very same issue with Edmonds but, as far as I know, it never went on like it did with Rolen. So it's gotten to a personal level, which I think is unprofessional and bad management for him to let it go on like this. Was Tony waiting for Scott to come to him and apologize? Scott's job is to play third base. Tony's job is to manage, which in my mind, includes keeping his people together. Not alienating your hall of fame third baseman over a damn battle of the egos. As was pointed out in a number of earlier "trade Rolen" threads, LaRussa has done nothing but diminish any leverage we might have had in dealing Rolen by complaining to the press about him. Whether it was taken slightly out of context or mixed in with a bunch of positive things about Scott, is still bad management and bad for the team as a whole, as far as I'm concerned.

User avatar
GatewaySnayke
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 11923
Joined: July 23 06, 11:54 pm
Location: GatewaySnaykebird

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus pending physicals

Post by GatewaySnayke »

skmsw wrote:If it is true that we're sending $3 to $4mm along with Scotty, then I'm guessing we're getting the less damaged of the two.
Or Ricciardi knows something we don't know.

This trade makes Toronto look stupid, wouldn't you say? They are trading away a "perfectly healthy" and still productive, still relatively young player for a guy with an alleged chronic shoulder injury. It brings them only small cap relief and gets rid of a guy who they could still use, since they aren't overflowing with great hitters.

That's why I have to raise my eyebrows at this deal. This must be what it was like to be an A's fan on December 30, 2004. "They are trading all of THAT for a guy who might be hurt? What's the catch?"

User avatar
skmsw
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 6340
Joined: April 18 06, 7:12 pm
Location: The Hub

Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus pending physicals

Post by skmsw »

That's why I have to raise my eyebrows at this deal. This must be what it was like to be an A's fan on December 30, 2004. "They are trading all of THAT for a guy who might be hurt? What's the catch?"
Which part are we currently playing in your example?

Locked