Bingo. What is the point of discussing a trade two years after it happened? I'm pretty sure I could be about perfect under those conditions. The fun is discussing the trade now.tenniseleven wrote:so we shouldn't be on here discussing the trade?
except to say let's wait and see, and that's it?
k...
this board is going to be pretty dead, hope no one gets paid for any advertising or anything...
Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus (Update: Finalized!)
-
jim
- Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
- Posts: 50393
- Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus pending physicals
-
Faceman
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 4800
- Joined: May 23 06, 11:56 am
- Location: Memphis, TN
Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus pending physicals
You didn't have to be a whacked out nut job to see that Rolen needed to be benched in 2006 postseason.jim wrote:Rolen has played for LaRussa and Larry Freaking Bowa. Both whacked out nut jobs, one who figured out a way to be a successful manager. Putting a player down for having difficulties with those two is ridiculous.Socnorb11 wrote:Has Rolen played for a MLB manager yet that he's been able to get along with? Has he played for a team yet that he hasn't wanted to leave? How does that land squarely on Larussa?
If he can't handle that, that's on him. He's a big boy, regardless of how or if TLR delivers that message.
-
jim
- Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
- Posts: 50393
- Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus pending physicals
If past player polls are any indication, I'd say about half of the team. He's always been an abrasive manager, I'm not faulting him for his style because it has worked. But to accuse Rolen of being a problem child because he didn't get along with LaRussa and Bowa isn't fair to a guy that busts his butt every day.Magneto2.0 wrote:Anyone else on the Cardinals having a problem with Larussa?jim wrote:Rolen has played for LaRussa and Larry Freaking Bowa. Both whacked out nut jobs, one who figured out a way to be a successful manager. Putting a player down for having difficulties with those two is ridiculous.Socnorb11 wrote:Has Rolen played for a MLB manager yet that he's been able to get along with? Has he played for a team yet that he hasn't wanted to leave? How does that land squarely on Larussa?
- clement
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 6008
- Joined: April 20 06, 10:26 pm
Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus pending physicals
I'm pretty sure Larussa busts his butt every day as well, so is it fair to accuse him of being a whacked out nut job?jim wrote:If past player polls are any indication, I'd say about half of the team. He's always been an abrasive manager, I'm not faulting him for his style because it has worked. But to accuse Rolen of being a problem child because he didn't get along with LaRussa and Bowa isn't fair to a guy that busts his butt every day.
And which player polls are you referring to? What about the one that was done this offseason where the only person on the team who didn't want Larussa back was Rolen?
- doe_boy
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 10738
- Joined: April 25 06, 9:48 am
- Location: Appleton, WI
Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus pending physicals
Winning managers who were/are 'whacked out nut jobs'*
Off the top of my head...
Billy Martin
John McGraw
Earl Weaver
Casey Stengel
Lou Pinella
*The term 'whacked out nut job' being entirely subjective and used only for discussion purposes.
Off the top of my head...
Billy Martin
John McGraw
Earl Weaver
Casey Stengel
Lou Pinella
*The term 'whacked out nut job' being entirely subjective and used only for discussion purposes.
-
jim
- Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
- Posts: 50393
- Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus pending physicals
One of LaRussa's finest hours was the '06 post season. One last spark, and benching Rolen was the right move.Faceman wrote:You didn't have to be a whacked out nut job to see that Rolen needed to be benched in 2006 postseason.jim wrote:Rolen has played for LaRussa and Larry Freaking Bowa. Both whacked out nut jobs, one who figured out a way to be a successful manager. Putting a player down for having difficulties with those two is ridiculous.Socnorb11 wrote:Has Rolen played for a MLB manager yet that he's been able to get along with? Has he played for a team yet that he hasn't wanted to leave? How does that land squarely on Larussa?
If he can't handle that, that's on him. He's a big boy, regardless of how or if TLR delivers that message.
But how it was communicated I have no idea. You do owe that to a player who tried to play through a huge chunk of soft tissue ripped away from the bone, who put his butt out there every day and gave 110%. I have no idea how it was communicated, but LaRussa has a track record of poor communication at times.
And that was just one incident of many imo. Not THE incident, just one of.
-
jim
- Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
- Posts: 50393
- Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus pending physicals
SI did a players poll a couple of years ago. Two polls, players were asked who they wanted to play for most and who they wanted to play for least. LaRussa won both.clement wrote:I'm pretty sure Larussa busts his butt every day as well, so is it fair to accuse him of being a whacked out nut job?jim wrote:If past player polls are any indication, I'd say about half of the team. He's always been an abrasive manager, I'm not faulting him for his style because it has worked. But to accuse Rolen of being a problem child because he didn't get along with LaRussa and Bowa isn't fair to a guy that busts his butt every day.
And which player polls are you referring to? What about the one that was done this offseason where the only person on the team who didn't want Larussa back was Rolen?
Did you read 3 nights? If not, read it and tell me if you don't think he pretty whacked out. And yes I know that baseball is full of them, which is why I said in my initial post that he is a successful manager.
edit - I completely agree that LaRussa busts his butt. He's another 110%-er. No question about it.
- UK
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 4263
- Joined: December 10 06, 6:41 pm
- Location: Baseball Purgatory.
Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus pending physicals
Two egos, two stubborn people. Both probably could've handled it batter while expecting the other to handle it better.
The flaw wasn't the rift, unless you're a player's manager, you're not going to be well liked just have to be respected.
The problem was not being able to work past it.
The flaw wasn't the rift, unless you're a player's manager, you're not going to be well liked just have to be respected.
The problem was not being able to work past it.
- KyCardinalFan
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 5520
- Joined: May 31 06, 3:16 pm
- Location: Western Kentucky
Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus pending physicals
Discuss a trade, I'm all for it. But the declarations in absolutes, belittling contrary opinions and resisting considering the other side isn't discussion, IMO. Which is what was going on when I made that remark prompting T11's hyperbole.jim wrote:Bingo. What is the point of discussing a trade two years after it happened? I'm pretty sure I could be about perfect under those conditions. The fun is discussing the trade now.tenniseleven wrote:so we shouldn't be on here discussing the trade?
except to say let's wait and see, and that's it?
k...
this board is going to be pretty dead, hope no one gets paid for any advertising or anything...
I was just surprised at the remarks, that's all. Please, carry on. Don't mind me.
-
jim
- Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
- Posts: 50393
- Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
Re: Scott Rolen for Troy Glaus pending physicals
I think that's it in a nutshell. Both share some responsibility, but I guess I put more of the blame on LaRussa simply because it's more a part of his job. I just view players as players, but a big part of the managers job is the off the field. Plain old leadership, and 9 times out of 10 good leadership doesn't result in things this ugly.UK wrote:Two egos, two stubborn people. Both probably could've handled it batter while expecting the other to handle it better.
The flaw wasn't the rift, unless you're a player's manager, you're not going to be well liked just have to be respected.
The problem was not being able to work past it.
There are those times where it can't be avoided, but I guess I'm of the impression that it's the manager who needs to swallow his ego and not the player.
And maybe that all happened and I'm blaming the wrong guy. All I know is what I see on the field, and no way am I looking at Rolen as a player who can't be dealt with from a managers point of view. I wish I had a roster full of guys that played like he did.
Maybe I should reiterate here though that I think the Rolen for Glauss trade was a slight + for the Cardinals. We've taken this down to the feud, which I guess is fair game if you think that this was a bad trade, but I don't want to come across as being down on the trade because I happened to like Rolen as a player.

.jpg)
