Every Year is the Year of Star Trek
- thrill
- bronoun enthusiast
- Posts: 30539
- Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
- Location: barely online
Re: 2020: The Year of Star Trek
Frakes does his best work as director and his best work as an actor when Riker is essentially pre-AIDS era Warren Beatty but in space, seeking to expand his sexual horizons in endless directions.
- JCShutout
- MacGyver of Underwear
- Posts: 13356
- Joined: April 18 06, 7:53 am
- Location: South City
Re: 2020: The Year of Star Trek
Picard season ender spoilers.
Online
- CardsofSTL
- All Hail the GDT Master
- Posts: 69903
- Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
- Location: Columbus, OH
- JCShutout
- MacGyver of Underwear
- Posts: 13356
- Joined: April 18 06, 7:53 am
- Location: South City
Online
- CardsofSTL
- All Hail the GDT Master
- Posts: 69903
- Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
- Location: Columbus, OH
- JCShutout
- MacGyver of Underwear
- Posts: 13356
- Joined: April 18 06, 7:53 am
- Location: South City
Online
- CardsofSTL
- All Hail the GDT Master
- Posts: 69903
- Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
- Location: Columbus, OH
-
Michael
- GRB Founder
- Posts: 35303
- Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
- Location: Chicago, IL
- Contact:
Re: 2020: The Year of Star Trek
I decided to try out CBS all accesses free month (thanks for the heads up CardsofSTL) because I wanted to checkout Picard. I don't know if I've ever had such mixed feelings on the show. In the beginning I loved the return of Picard and all the fan service. I also really respected their choice to play in to Picard's age and failures. However, somewhere in the middle of the season I started to evaluate the show on its own merits and I can't say I was super impressed. It feels like a melding of the old school hokey charm of star trek with a newer grittier more modern story telling. Unfortunately I don't think it works. I think too many of the characters and acting are way too broadly drawn to match the more modern aesthetics. I also think the show would be better served to compartmentalize the episodes in conjunction with a larger overall narrative. Something like Deep Space Nine or more recently the Mandalorian. That way they could explore more philosophical questions and have more interesting stories.
I also want to say, the script does her no favors but Alison Pill who plays Dr. Agnes Jurati might be one of the most annoying actresses I've ever seen on a TV show. Her constant look of distress and facial ticks were super irritating.
That's not to say I hated the show. I just didn't love it like I wanted to.
I also want to say, the script does her no favors but Alison Pill who plays Dr. Agnes Jurati might be one of the most annoying actresses I've ever seen on a TV show. Her constant look of distress and facial ticks were super irritating.
That's not to say I hated the show. I just didn't love it like I wanted to.
Online
I liked pretty much all of the cast but the hardest one to like is Jurati; she looks half demented at times; but maybe that was the point. Space Legolas though amirite?
Have you watched Discovery? There seems to be a significant tie in to this season of Picard and the last season of Discovery; and perhaps the upcoming season. If you have not; I would suggest giving it a shot while you have the free month still going.
The episodic nature of tv series has started to die off with the advent of streaming services where people like to binge. Essentially you make a 10 part movie split into episodes instead of a 24 episode season.
- CardsofSTL
- All Hail the GDT Master
- Posts: 69903
- Joined: April 26 11, 6:06 am
- Location: Columbus, OH
Re: 2020: The Year of Star Trek
I think you have had the same reaction as a lot of fans of the TNG series. This series is different; and not necessarily geared just toward the audience (of which I am a part) remembers and loved TNG. This is a more human series; with a lot of faults and not as idealistic as the Trek we grew up on. That being said; I still really enjoyed the series. While they took a couple of zigs were I would have preferred zags; I respect the choices they made in telling the story.Michael wrote: ↑April 5 20, 11:07 amI decided to try out CBS all accesses free month (thanks for the heads up CardsofSTL) because I wanted to checkout Picard. I don't know if I've ever had such mixed feelings on the show. In the beginning I loved the return of Picard and all the fan service. I also really respected their choice to play in to Picard's age and failures. However, somewhere in the middle of the season I started to evaluate the show on its own merits and I can't say I was super impressed. It feels like a melding of the old school hokey charm of star trek with a newer grittier more modern story telling. Unfortunately I don't think it works. I think too many of the characters and acting are way too broadly drawn to match the more modern aesthetics. I also think the show would be better served to compartmentalize the episodes in conjunction with a larger overall narrative. Something like Deep Space Nine or more recently the Mandalorian. That way they could explore more philosophical questions and have more interesting stories.
I also want to say, the script does her no favors but Alison Pill who plays Dr. Agnes Jurati might be one of the most annoying actresses I've ever seen on a TV show. Her constant look of distress and facial ticks were super irritating.
That's not to say I hated the show. I just didn't love it like I wanted to.
I liked pretty much all of the cast but the hardest one to like is Jurati; she looks half demented at times; but maybe that was the point. Space Legolas though amirite?
Have you watched Discovery? There seems to be a significant tie in to this season of Picard and the last season of Discovery; and perhaps the upcoming season. If you have not; I would suggest giving it a shot while you have the free month still going.
The episodic nature of tv series has started to die off with the advent of streaming services where people like to binge. Essentially you make a 10 part movie split into episodes instead of a 24 episode season.
-
Jocephus
- 99% conan clips
- Posts: 64992
- Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm
