Coronavirus

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
User avatar
sighyoung
Mayor of GRB
Posts: 38613
Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
Location: Louisville

Re: Coronavirus

Post by sighyoung »

thrill wrote: ↑
March 30 20, 7:22 pm
sighyoung wrote: ↑
March 30 20, 4:20 pm
Mardi Gras was timed...poorly, this year.
As was Spring Break in Florida.

User avatar
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 22007
Joined: July 15 08, 8:24 pm
Location: High A Minors

Re: Coronavirus

Post by pioneer98 »

IMADreamer wrote: ↑
March 30 20, 6:52 pm
How are you guys handling this mentally? I was doing pretty good, but now every county around us has cases and I'm getting worried. Not about me but about my parents. They are pretty good at social distancing but I know my Dad has been to the store once a week for the last two weeks. I freaked on him telling him I would go for him. He of course didn't want to bother me.

Then twice in the last few days I've gotten texts from people I know who lost their jobs. They want to know if I've got any work for them on the farm. Here's the thing, I didn't take any salary last year at the farm and I can't see it happening this year either with prices the way they are. That's fine, I still have income, but I think if we were making money at the farm I'd just say ok I won't take any salary and let's get these guys through a rough patch, but everything is just so uncertain I don't know. We have a skype session with our accountant tomorrow about tax stuff and I think I'm going to have to see if we can make it work were we could at least hire one of these guys to get us through planting. Hopefully by the time that's over the world is back to a little more normal.

Anyway, this is all starting to wear on me now. I'm struggling sleeping and in general anxious.

I'm not handling it well at all. I know too many people without health care and/or unable to pay rent that comes due in 2 days. And I just don't see much good news anywhere, at all, locally or nationally. I cut back on Facebook usage the last couple days just to take somewhat of a break. It helped a bit.

User avatar
Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 24269
Joined: October 12 06, 2:21 pm
Location: Baseball Ref Bullpen
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

thrill wrote: ↑
March 30 20, 7:22 pm
sighyoung wrote: ↑
March 30 20, 4:20 pm
Mardi Gras was timed...poorly, this year.
And Chinese New Year to give it that big start. A series of unfortunate events.

User avatar
Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 24269
Joined: October 12 06, 2:21 pm
Location: Baseball Ref Bullpen
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

IMADreamer wrote: ↑
March 30 20, 6:52 pm
How are you guys handling this mentally? I was doing pretty good, but now every county around us has cases and I'm getting worried. Not about me but about my parents. They are pretty good at social distancing but I know my Dad has been to the store once a week for the last two weeks. I freaked on him telling him I would go for him. He of course didn't want to bother me.

Then twice in the last few days I've gotten texts from people I know who lost their jobs. They want to know if I've got any work for them on the farm. Here's the thing, I didn't take any salary last year at the farm and I can't see it happening this year either with prices the way they are. That's fine, I still have income, but I think if we were making money at the farm I'd just say ok I won't take any salary and let's get these guys through a rough patch, but everything is just so uncertain I don't know. We have a skype session with our accountant tomorrow about tax stuff and I think I'm going to have to see if we can make it work were we could at least hire one of these guys to get us through planting. Hopefully by the time that's over the world is back to a little more normal.

Anyway, this is all starting to wear on me now. I'm struggling sleeping and in general anxious.
We are in a good spot to isolate. But its dawning on us that almost certainly someone close will be gone or go through serious health problems. Our daughter, if she gets seriously ill into an overwhelmed medical system, will be triaged away from care, our daughter-in-law is 8 months pregnant, we would leave our daughter who needs constant supervision to one of our sons, one son is going to lose a great interning opportunity this summer, I've got a 90-year old dad and his mid 80's wife living alone where they have no immediate family to help.

And nothing you can do but wait, see what happens, and respond as best you can.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
Posts: 27563
Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Location: Thinking of the Children

Re: Coronavirus

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

There's a lot of negative in the world right now, only some of which we can control. I've found its a lot easier to focus on stuff I can control than stuff I absolutely can not. No matter how much I want to influence policies, nation/worldwide, I can't. No point in trying. No matter how much I wish the death toll would stop rising, can't do anything about it. All I can do is stay away from everyone and make sure those that I can influence are doing the same. And, that's about it.

As sad as it is that XYZ is going on, and there's a lot of stuff to worry about, I'm not sure what in reality I can do. And, even if there was a clear option of how to make things better, not sure I have the mental wherewithal or physical resources at this point in time to really do it.

We have facetime/skype sessions with friends and families that last for hours it seems and those kind of help keep the spirits up.

User avatar
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me
Posts: 62278
Joined: April 18 06, 5:08 pm
Location: LF Bleachers @ Busch II

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Radbird »

Hospitals Tell Doctors They’ll Be Fired If They Speak Out About Lack of Gear
“Hospitals are muzzling nurses and other health-care workers in an attempt to preserve their image,” said Ruth Schubert, a spokeswoman for the Washington State Nurses Association. “It is outrageous.”

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
Posts: 26073
Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Freed Roger »

8 employees at Annie Gunns test positive (high end dining -Chesterfield).

Does Jim Edmonds have it or not?


Someone at my wife's work was exposed to it.

Pioneer I believe mentioned his plant - the company couldn't divulge much info to employees due to HIPAA. Same with my wife's work.

Kind of an interesting scenario could play out here - when you are outed as having been exposed - there is definitely a stigma on the person who got covid. But people do need to know. Balancing act in the workplace.

planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy
Posts: 24904
Joined: April 15 06, 6:25 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Coronavirus

Post by planet planet »

sighyoung wrote: ↑
March 30 20, 8:57 pm
thrill wrote: ↑
March 30 20, 7:22 pm
sighyoung wrote: ↑
March 30 20, 4:20 pm
Mardi Gras was timed...poorly, this year.
As was Spring Break in Florida.
The governor of LA was getting peppered with questions about Mardi Gras on the Sunday news show circuit. I did feel bad for him; Mardi Gras was 2/23 and 2/25 this year. The first presumptive case in LA wasn't until 3/9.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
Posts: 27563
Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Location: Thinking of the Children

Re: Coronavirus

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Mardi Gras this year will go down in infamy. Two revelers were ran over and killed by floats. The last time a parade goer was killed i think was decades ago. And, in hindsight, acting as a super spreading event will of course be even worse. Tough year. We've been to the last 4 or 5 but didn't go this year because the uncle we stay with was re-doing his bathroom and I was extremely busy at work....thank goodness.

User avatar
Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 3958
Joined: November 14 14, 5:23 am
Location: Cherokee

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Famous Mortimer »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote: ↑
March 31 20, 7:28 am
There's a lot of negative in the world right now, only some of which we can control. I've found its a lot easier to focus on stuff I can control than stuff I absolutely can not. No matter how much I want to influence policies, nation/worldwide, I can't. No point in trying.
Obviously, you can't just wave a magic wand and change policy, but you can get involved with a group that you feel is pushing for the right thing. I think the people at the top (on both "sides") have put a lot of effort into making it seem impossible to implement any change, but it can be done.

Anyway, this isn't the politics forum so I'll leave it there.

I went for a drive on Sunday, just to get out of the house. Went to Tower Grove Park and while it wasn't as busy as it would have been on a normal warm Sunday, it was packed with people. Same with Forest Park (although the parking lot at the top of the Muny was quiet, gave me a chance to get out and stretch my legs). Yesterday, I read that the city is closing down the roads inside the parks because people were ignoring the requests about social distancing.

I know by going there I'm a small part of the problem, but some people seemed like they wanted to catch the virus. And the basketball court on my corner has had a steering wheel lock put on the hoop because every night last week there were at least 30-40 people congregating there.

Post Reply