Obama/Biden vs. McCain/Palin
-
AJ
Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain: The Thread
I watch the BBC reports, seems like it's more like the old school political reporting. In the US we have:
Fox News: FAR right, always has been, Liberals get Alan "clueless" Colmes
CNN: Seems to ride the fence, maybe slightly towards the left.
MSNBC: Left, seems to be going towards being as far left as FOX is right. It seemed at the beginning they were trying to stay in the middle, but noticed a market for liberal commentators (it always seemed this was dominated by the right) That is why Olberman is growing more popular.
Fox News: FAR right, always has been, Liberals get Alan "clueless" Colmes
CNN: Seems to ride the fence, maybe slightly towards the left.
MSNBC: Left, seems to be going towards being as far left as FOX is right. It seemed at the beginning they were trying to stay in the middle, but noticed a market for liberal commentators (it always seemed this was dominated by the right) That is why Olberman is growing more popular.
-
Freed Roger
- Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
- Posts: 26073
- Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
- Location: St. Louis
Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain: The Thread
I'm not a regular watcher of cable news -but from what I see, I agree with Clem and Strat. Fox did it first, being the news station for a political party...I think MSNBC saw a niche opening for the other direction and went for it.Fat Strat wrote:I think the same thing about MSNBC, though on the other side of the aisle.clement wrote:Sadly, they now provide Fox news channel on my cable system. I'm really amazed at the way they report. It's not the partisan commentators that bother me, it's the regular anchorpeople. They are constantly editorializing and the way they are psychoanalyzing every facial expression and comment that everyone makes and concocting all these conpiracy theories. It really is a remarkable channel. As in remarkably stupid, but remarkable nonetheless.
I was watching the Hillary speech on MSNBC because their bylines on the bottom are smaller than the Fox bylines which seem to take a third of the screen (probably should have found C-span.). Well, after the speech on MSNBC about the first thing I heard from the ex-ESPN guy is "grand slam out of the park".
I switched it to Fox for their post-speech analysis and found it way more entertaining than the two glowing reviews on MSNBC... Fox had 3 or 4 grumpy old men and a woman from a fashion magazine (I guess she was supposed to give the democrat viewpoint).
The other night, it was really funny to see their grumpy faces after Obamas' cute kids were onstage. The Fox guys up in their skybox remind me of the old Grinch listening to the who's in who-ville.
Sure -the Colbert and Daily Shows do a great job of satiring Fox - but for me its way more enjoyable to watch the real thing. They satire themselves...
-
Michael
- GRB Founder
- Posts: 35303
- Joined: December 31 69, 6:00 pm
- Location: Chicago, IL
- Contact:
Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain: The Thread
Fat Strat wrote:I think the same thing about MSNBC, though on the other side of the aisle.clement wrote:Sadly, they now provide Fox news channel on my cable system. I'm really amazed at the way they report. It's not the partisan commentators that bother me, it's the regular anchorpeople. They are constantly editorializing and the way they are psychoanalyzing every facial expression and comment that everyone makes and concocting all these conpiracy theories. It really is a remarkable channel. As in remarkably stupid, but remarkable nonetheless.
I'm an Obama supporter and even I think Olbermann is a stooge.
-
jim
- Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you
- Posts: 50393
- Joined: May 1 06, 2:41 pm
Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain: The Thread
BBC + Le Monde. And the local papers sports section. That's about it for me.pop_haines wrote:I've also gone to Canada/Europe (the Beeb, der Speigel, and Le Monde) and someAJ wrote:I watch the BBC reports, seems like it's more like the old school political reporting.
of the Asian papers for my news.
I still read the NYT, but I take a lot of it with a grain of salt these days. And their
editorial page is an abomination, for the most part. I read Krugman, and that's
about it.
Oh, and I also read Maureen Dowd whenever I feel the need to dangerously spike
my blood pressure.
-
AJ
Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain: The Thread
Anyone ever watch C-Span when the Brits representatives get to grill their leader? When Blair was in power, it was really fun to watch and was so entertaining you should have popcorn.
Why can't we do that in this in the USA?
Why can't we do that in this in the USA?
- Leroy
- a bad penny always turns up
- Posts: 25226
- Joined: April 17 06, 12:27 pm
- Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
- Contact:
Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain: The Thread
I thought it was funny watching Olbermann cream his shorts.
- Cole Burns
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 3749
- Joined: July 30 06, 10:53 am
- Location: I'm not here.
Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain: The Thread
Not to get too philosophical, but do you think this is do to the spread of Gonzo Journalism?pop_haines wrote:All of the MSM...ALL OF IT....is the enemy of the people.clement wrote:Sadly, they now provide Fox news channel on my cable system. I'm really amazed at the way they report. It's not the partisan commentators that bother me, it's the regular anchorpeople. They are constantly editorializing and the way they are psychoanalyzing every facial expression and comment that everyone makes and concocting all these conpiracy theories. It really is a remarkable channel. As in remarkably stupid, but remarkable nonetheless.
I remember back when media was truly objective. Now they constantly
insert themselves into the narrative, telling us what to think and spinning
like crazy. It's unwatchable.
- GatewaySnayke
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 11923
- Joined: July 23 06, 11:54 pm
- Location: GatewaySnaykebird
Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain: The Thread
I didn't used to like Olbermann. At all. Now I think he's the bee's knees. Olbermann was the first person on the cable news channels to start talking about CBS editing McCain's interview to make him seem less stupid. He is partisan (he didn't take Obama to the woodshed for the FISA thing), so if a person is looking for someone to criticize the left and right...it's probably Bill Maher.Michael wrote:Fat Strat wrote:I think the same thing about MSNBC, though on the other side of the aisle.clement wrote:Sadly, they now provide Fox news channel on my cable system. I'm really amazed at the way they report. It's not the partisan commentators that bother me, it's the regular anchorpeople. They are constantly editorializing and the way they are psychoanalyzing every facial expression and comment that everyone makes and concocting all these conpiracy theories. It really is a remarkable channel. As in remarkably stupid, but remarkable nonetheless.
I'm an Obama supporter and even I think Olbermann is a stooge.
- Cole Burns
- Perennial All-Star
- Posts: 3749
- Joined: July 30 06, 10:53 am
- Location: I'm not here.
Re: Obama/Biden vs. McCain: The Thread
pop_haines wrote:Not to get too philosophical, but do you think this is do to the spread of Gonzo Journalism?Cole Burns wrote:
All of the MSM...ALL OF IT....is the enemy of the people.
I remember back when media was truly objective. Now they constantly
insert themselves into the narrative, telling us what to think and spinning
like crazy. It's unwatchable.
Perhaps that's a factor.
I think it has more to do with the mega-corporations snapping
up and consolidating the media outlets and then trying to
influence the narrative in a way favorable to those corps.
Thus,
corporations = good
labor = lazy bums
war = hooray
peace = loony activists
regulation = stifling
deregulation = freedom
etc.
Seems simplistic...but listen to the narrative and see how
it plays out for the parent corporations.[/quote]
That makes sense.
But...it does feed the paranoia that was started by Glenn Beck that this whole "Green Initiative" was started by GE through it's child company NBC to get more profits for their "earth friendly" prodcuts. That's a step I'm not comfortable taking. Then again, I don't buy into conspiracy much.
- heyzeus
- Everday Unicorn
- Posts: 43286
- Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
- Location: Austin, TX




