Coronavirus

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
User avatar
sighyoung
Mayor of GRB
Posts: 38612
Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
Location: Louisville

Re: Coronavirus

Post by sighyoung »

Image

User avatar
pioneer98
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 22007
Joined: July 15 08, 8:24 pm
Location: High A Minors

Re: Coronavirus

Post by pioneer98 »

ghostrunner wrote: ↑
April 1 20, 9:02 am
It would suck but is there any discussion of working in protective suits in these kinds of places?
The people in some of the factories here are wearing the clear plastic face shields

sparks
Veteran Player
Posts: 976
Joined: June 19 06, 10:16 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Coronavirus

Post by sparks »

sparks wrote: ↑
April 1 20, 6:12 am
sparks wrote: ↑
March 30 20, 6:16 am
I work at an "essential" plant that is having an shutdown that started last night. The plant has about 650 employees and have brought in about 600 - 700 supplemental employees. A lot of these supplemental employees have just left another plant that just finished their shutdown. The company has brought in extra contractors to continously wipe things down (hand rails, door handles, phones etc.). They have medical professionals staffed around the clock to do pre-access checks on everybody that comes through the gate. They have sent people home for a minimum of 14 days if they have family members with unconfirmed symptoms. So on one hand they are doing everything that they shouldn't be doing with regards to social distancing and on the other hand having a presence performing preventative measures with cleaning and isolating potential carriers. I am "lucky" to be isolated in an office with 11 other people and have people sitting about 5 feet from me on both sides.

All that being said I am pretty anxious about the situation to say the least. I am not over 60 but the fatality reports seem to be getting closer to my age. The area I live in is far from being a hot spot but my perspective is that it is a disaster waiting to happen. Nobody has had a Covid test that I am aware of. The Gen Xers and Millennials seem to be handling it like it is no big deal. Their attitude is, without a doubt, elevating my anxiousness.
They told us yesterday that there are 2 unconfirmed cases reported on site and one of the people had been in my office area. Today they told us one of them was confirmed and if you had been in "close contact" with the individual then Occupational Health Services would have already notified you. I knew it would show up and am not the least bit surprised how soon.
There has been at least one confirmed case at the site. They have made a press release and emphasized everything that they are doing to prevent the spread by following and exceeding the CDC guidelines . Pre-testing has become more conservative. They are sending workers home with possible symptoms and co-workers that have worked in close proximity to them. They are now requiring workers to wear masks when working within 6 feet of another worker. They have cleaning crews cleaning areas that have larger populations of workers. Cleaning those areas twice within a 24 hour period. The cleaning crew is wearing disposable full body suits with full face respirators. They have wrapped my work area with plastic hanging from the ceiling and taped off a perimeter to keep walk up traffic to a minimum. I share a desk with a person on the opposite shift as me and both of us scrub the desk, keyboard, phone multiple times a shift. Every day I go to work there is a new rule/requirement and honesty I kind of oddly remain very aware of it but also numb to it at the same time. I can only imagine how many of us have it but are asymptomatic.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
Posts: 27563
Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Location: Thinking of the Children

Re: Coronavirus

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

sparks wrote: ↑
April 3 20, 6:29 am
sparks wrote: ↑
April 1 20, 6:12 am
sparks wrote: ↑
March 30 20, 6:16 am
I work at an "essential" plant that is having an shutdown that started last night. The plant has about 650 employees and have brought in about 600 - 700 supplemental employees. A lot of these supplemental employees have just left another plant that just finished their shutdown. The company has brought in extra contractors to continously wipe things down (hand rails, door handles, phones etc.). They have medical professionals staffed around the clock to do pre-access checks on everybody that comes through the gate. They have sent people home for a minimum of 14 days if they have family members with unconfirmed symptoms. So on one hand they are doing everything that they shouldn't be doing with regards to social distancing and on the other hand having a presence performing preventative measures with cleaning and isolating potential carriers. I am "lucky" to be isolated in an office with 11 other people and have people sitting about 5 feet from me on both sides.

All that being said I am pretty anxious about the situation to say the least. I am not over 60 but the fatality reports seem to be getting closer to my age. The area I live in is far from being a hot spot but my perspective is that it is a disaster waiting to happen. Nobody has had a Covid test that I am aware of. The Gen Xers and Millennials seem to be handling it like it is no big deal. Their attitude is, without a doubt, elevating my anxiousness.
They told us yesterday that there are 2 unconfirmed cases reported on site and one of the people had been in my office area. Today they told us one of them was confirmed and if you had been in "close contact" with the individual then Occupational Health Services would have already notified you. I knew it would show up and am not the least bit surprised how soon.
There has been at least one confirmed case at the site. They have made a press release and emphasized everything that they are doing to prevent the spread by following and exceeding the CDC guidelines . Pre-testing has become more conservative. They are sending workers home with possible symptoms and co-workers that have worked in close proximity to them. They are now requiring workers to wear masks when working within 6 feet of another worker. They have cleaning crews cleaning areas that have larger populations of workers. Cleaning those areas twice within a 24 hour period. The cleaning crew is wearing disposable full body suits with full face respirators. They have wrapped my work area with plastic hanging from the ceiling and taped off a perimeter to keep walk up traffic to a minimum. I share a desk with a person on the opposite shift as me and both of us scrub the desk, keyboard, phone multiple times a shift. Every day I go to work there is a new rule/requirement and honesty I kind of oddly remain very aware of it but also numb to it at the same time. I can only imagine how many of us have it but are asymptomatic.
Dang, Sparks. Take care man. It sounds like they are doing what's possible to prevent the spread while staying open. Of course, with that many people it's almost impossible to completely prevent it especially if employees are not following state/federal distancing guidelines. If you don't mind, what field are you in?

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
Posts: 27563
Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Location: Thinking of the Children

Re: Coronavirus

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

How are they going to determine the death rate of this thing? I mean, obviously, there are going to be a confirmed number of cases and a confirmed number of deaths. And, they could use that. But, then how are they going to determine the true number of cases?

I'd think they'd determine an actual mortality rate and take the # dead/mortality rate. EG, if 100,000 die, and the mortality rate is 1%, then the true number of cases is 10,000,000. In this case, the lower the mortality rate, the higher the number of cases.

User avatar
Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Posts: 25225
Joined: April 17 06, 12:27 pm
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Leroy »

Just a dumb question...if New York is under a shelter in place, how can we say that that is the thing to do? They are averaging somewhere around 10,000 new cases a day. Seems that either it doesn't work, or they aren't doing it.

In the two states I'm familiar with, we have closed eat in restaurants (continued drive by or delivery), hair shops and stuff like that and we are pretty strict on the social distancing. I know the population is much much smaller, but I'm just not sure why I hear people saying that my states need to shelter in place, now, when I can't see that it really works.

I do give it up for Washington though. Even though it seemed to start there, they look to be doing fairly well.

User avatar
JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear
Posts: 13352
Joined: April 18 06, 7:53 am
Location: South City

Re: Coronavirus

Post by JCShutout »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here re: New York.

The incubation time for this virus before obvious symptoms is like 2 weeks. (That's the max, but its at least 4-6 days for most folks) Combine that with how easy it is to spread, and you will be seeing a huge increase in numbers of confirmed infected for a couple of weeks after Shelter in Place orders anywhere. Contrast that to the regular flu or cold where you aren't symptomatic for like a day or two, and while it can spread, many people's immune systems are already primed to fight those viruses. Our immune systems are starting from scratch with this one.

Also, specific to NYC, all of their doctors and "essential" workers still have to take public transit. Since many Public transit operators are sick, there are less trains running, and the trains that do run are full like normal with people crammed in there... having just come from hospitals working with the infection, and so it spreads.

Places that rely way less on public transit will have an easier time limiting spread.

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Jocephus »


User avatar
sighyoung
Mayor of GRB
Posts: 38612
Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
Location: Louisville

Re: Coronavirus

Post by sighyoung »


User avatar
sighyoung
Mayor of GRB
Posts: 38612
Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
Location: Louisville

Re: Coronavirus

Post by sighyoung »


Post Reply