Coronavirus

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
Online
User avatar
sighyoung
Mayor of GRB
Posts: 38614
Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
Location: Louisville

Re: Coronavirus

Post by sighyoung »

Image

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
Posts: 27563
Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
Location: Thinking of the Children

Re: Coronavirus

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Leroy wrote: ↑
April 3 20, 9:31 am
Just a dumb question...if New York is under a shelter in place, how can we say that that is the thing to do? They are averaging somewhere around 10,000 new cases a day. Seems that either it doesn't work, or they aren't doing it.

In the two states I'm familiar with, we have closed eat in restaurants (continued drive by or delivery), hair shops and stuff like that and we are pretty strict on the social distancing. I know the population is much much smaller, but I'm just not sure why I hear people saying that my states need to shelter in place, now, when I can't see that it really works.

I do give it up for Washington though. Even though it seemed to start there, they look to be doing fairly well.
It's undeniable shelter in place works. I'll give you 40ish states as example that the rate of infection goes down after a sip is issued. To my knowledge there isn't a single data point that would suggest it doesn't. In NYC, the growth rate halved within a couple weeks. Pretty easy to argue the number of new cases they'd be seeing a day would be 100K instead of 10K had they not shut everything down.

But, to your point, no shelter in place is not the way to fix it. Only one nation, China, has stopped an outbreak. And, they did it by forcibly removing people from the population. They tested....a lot more than we can test. They more/less declared marshall law, shut down roads, shut down airports, shut down a city 1.5x the size of NYC. Not sure if that's what you're looking for as a go by since it is the only example of something that took the rate to zero, but it's all there is.

It's also undeniable an areas density contributes to how fast a virus spreads. Hence why you can't compare nyc to the dakotas.

Regardless, there are two things to remember:

1. It's an exponential growth, right, so stopping it at 100 is infinitely easier than stopping it at 10,000 or whatever number.

2. The capacity (incapacity at the moment) of the health care network of not just the dakotas but the USA is all interconnected. Health care workers are being asked to abandon, pretty much, all regard for manufacturer specifications when it comes to equipment they're using. Masks that were meant to be used once and thrown away are being used for weeks on end to see countless patients, and they're washing masks in booze because they can't even buy rubbing alcohol at the store. Every mask the dakotas needs is one nyc doesn't get, and vice versa.

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Re: Coronavirus

Post by thrill »

thrill wrote: ↑
March 29 20, 1:18 pm
What’s a chill way to broach that subject with two people in their early 60’s who still think they’re 40?
Looking like I was too late. Mom has a fever and dad is feeling fatigued with some light difficulty breathing.

Both getting tested right now, so your boy is having one hell of a nervous stomach ache. I’m not going to poop solid until they’re in the clear. This [expletive] sucks, my friends. It’s one thing to know your loved one will die, it’s another thing to know it could happen in the next 14 days out of nowhere.

User avatar
Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 24269
Joined: October 12 06, 2:21 pm
Location: Baseball Ref Bullpen
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Oh my thrill! My heart goes out to you and your family. Wishing you all the best.

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Re: Coronavirus

Post by thrill »

If Chet Hanks can be strong through this, by god, so can I.

User avatar
cardinalkarp
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 18725
Joined: May 4 06, 8:44 am

Re: Coronavirus

Post by cardinalkarp »

Crap, sorry to hear that thrill....hope all turns out okay

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
Posts: 26073
Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Freed Roger »

[expletive]. Damn sorry Thrill

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Jocephus »

damn, sorry thrill.

Online
User avatar
sighyoung
Mayor of GRB
Posts: 38614
Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
Location: Louisville

Re: Coronavirus

Post by sighyoung »

I'm sorry to hear it, too, thrill. I wish all of you good health ASAP.

User avatar
a_smith
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4561
Joined: September 20 06, 10:55 am

Re: Coronavirus

Post by a_smith »

so sorry to read that Thrill.

Stay strong and I am totally looking forward to report that you are having solid poops.

Post Reply