If you look at the health disparities in the city of St. Louis, they’re not unique,” city Health Director Dr. Fredrick Echols said during a briefing Wednesday. “Inequities exist across the U.S. and across the world, and it’s posed a challenge for public health agencies, (which) have to address those issues and ensure all individuals, regardless of race, socioeconomic status, income, or educational attainment have access to quality health-related resources.”
Coronavirus
-
Freed Roger
- Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
- Posts: 26073
- Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
- Location: St. Louis
Re: Coronavirus
Stl Post-dispatch :First 12 St. Louis COVID-19 deaths have all been African Americans
- Leroy
- a bad penny always turns up
- Posts: 25226
- Joined: April 17 06, 12:27 pm
- Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
- Contact:
Re: Coronavirus
This is a extraordinary situation. My state is doing ok, but still a lot of people have lost jobs. My wife and I haven't been huge into charity stuff, but the best thing we ever did was help a local restaurant serve Thanksgiving dinner for free (or donations). We felt pretty good and it didn't cost us a thing.
With this thing, you can't even do something like that. I feel bad for the people that can't work, I'd like to help in some way, but have no idea what to do.
My former hometown's Salvation Army used to organize a 'Christmas Basket' program where musicians of all sorts would play a few nights on public access and on the web, to raise pledges for a basket of food for the needy. Something like that would be possible, even if done virtually or whatever, I'm taking some steps to see if there is any interest from musicians . I don't know, its something I guess.
We aren't going to be in bad shape, my wife was told at the hospital she was getting cut to half-time, but by the end of the day they changed their mind. So we are ok, I'd just like to do something. Seems like a drop in the bucket I guess, but still.
With this thing, you can't even do something like that. I feel bad for the people that can't work, I'd like to help in some way, but have no idea what to do.
My former hometown's Salvation Army used to organize a 'Christmas Basket' program where musicians of all sorts would play a few nights on public access and on the web, to raise pledges for a basket of food for the needy. Something like that would be possible, even if done virtually or whatever, I'm taking some steps to see if there is any interest from musicians . I don't know, its something I guess.
We aren't going to be in bad shape, my wife was told at the hospital she was getting cut to half-time, but by the end of the day they changed their mind. So we are ok, I'd just like to do something. Seems like a drop in the bucket I guess, but still.
- IMADreamer
- Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.
- Posts: 12891
- Joined: December 6 10, 1:09 am
- Location: Illinois
Re: Coronavirus
Leroy wrote: ↑April 10 20, 8:57 amThis is a extraordinary situation. My state is doing ok, but still a lot of people have lost jobs. My wife and I haven't been huge into charity stuff, but the best thing we ever did was help a local restaurant serve Thanksgiving dinner for free (or donations). We felt pretty good and it didn't cost us a thing.
With this thing, you can't even do something like that. I feel bad for the people that can't work, I'd like to help in some way, but have no idea what to do.
My former hometown's Salvation Army used to organize a 'Christmas Basket' program where musicians of all sorts would play a few nights on public access and on the web, to raise pledges for a basket of food for the needy. Something like that would be possible, even if done virtually or whatever, I'm taking some steps to see if there is any interest from musicians . I don't know, its something I guess.
We aren't going to be in bad shape, my wife was told at the hospital she was getting cut to half-time, but by the end of the day they changed their mind. So we are ok, I'd just like to do something. Seems like a drop in the bucket I guess, but still.
If you can, donate food to your local food pantry. We have a small independently run one here and everytime we go to the store we take a bag to them as well. It has a real impact on the local level. Another thing to look into if there is one in your area is we have this thing called unmet needs here. It's a group that all the local churches got together and formed to help people through a rough time. For example if someones house burns down. We donate money to them every month as well. I personally know the benefit of this as in 1993 when we were flooded we received almost $500 from them and it made the difference between us eating and not for like two months.
- pioneer98
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 22007
- Joined: July 15 08, 8:24 pm
- Location: High A Minors
Re: Coronavirus
I am seriously thinking abuot donating my $1200 stimulus to something, and possibly my whole family's stimulus. I know a couple good charities, and I might end up going that route. But I might also jus try to find some local family (or 2 or 3) that need it more than me. We just got our tax refund and we were in good shape before that. So I could possibly donate even more than that.
-
Freed Roger
- Seeking a Zubaz seamstress
- Posts: 26073
- Joined: September 4 07, 1:48 pm
- Location: St. Louis
Re: Coronavirus
We get zero stimulus, even though we would qualify easily based upon our present and likely 2020 income. Meanwhile my wife is filling in between career jobs that disappeared with this meltdown and is helping out with fronntline retail. (Bad ass. (Lowes) .
Stimulus is a [expletive] scam. Not for myself wholly.. but Why waste all this time with parameters and qualifications for the 1200- just send out the [expletive] money to all. It would actually save money by simplifying, and serve the purpose of timely stimulus.
The business side of stimulus is an unfair scam. The benefactors will need it too, but will have to be positioned to make it forgivable. Businesses are at the mercy of their banking relationships. Which is not exactly a fair shake It's so [expletive] dumb.
Stimulus is a [expletive] scam. Not for myself wholly.. but Why waste all this time with parameters and qualifications for the 1200- just send out the [expletive] money to all. It would actually save money by simplifying, and serve the purpose of timely stimulus.
The business side of stimulus is an unfair scam. The benefactors will need it too, but will have to be positioned to make it forgivable. Businesses are at the mercy of their banking relationships. Which is not exactly a fair shake It's so [expletive] dumb.
- Radbird
- There's someone in my head but it's not me
- Posts: 62285
- Joined: April 18 06, 5:08 pm
- Location: LF Bleachers @ Busch II
Re: Coronavirus
Our stimulus money was deposited yesterday. A lot sooner than expected and for the full amount, which means it must be based on our current SS income.
- TigCards
- All-Star
- Posts: 1571
- Joined: May 7 18, 7:34 pm
Re: Coronavirus
Where’s the smilie with the corona mask ?
- sighyoung
- Mayor of GRB
- Posts: 38614
- Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
- Location: Louisville
- sighyoung
- Mayor of GRB
- Posts: 38614
- Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
- Location: Louisville
-
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
- "I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
- Posts: 27563
- Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
- Location: Thinking of the Children





