Coronavirus

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
User avatar
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me
Posts: 62278
Joined: April 18 06, 5:08 pm
Location: LF Bleachers @ Busch II

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Radbird »

planet planet wrote: ↑
April 15 20, 1:43 pm
Fat_Bulldog wrote: ↑
April 15 20, 11:48 am
My brother in law who works at a local hospital on the front lines just got his positive COVID test result back today. He's been very sick since Monday evening. This guy hasn't called in sick since I can remember. He did yesterday and will be home for a few weeks now. I am very worried. He said he almost didn't make it back to his bedroom today after going to the bathroom. I have a feeling he will be in the hospital very soon.

I'm also worried about my nephew (23) who is at home with him.

My sister who has a very compromised immune system has been at my house for 12 days now.

This is all very scary to me right now.
That is very scary, FB. It was really nice of you (and smart!) to have your sister stay with you. Really hope he avoids the hospital and his condition doesn't deteriorate beyond where it is today.
I’ll just quote planet since she has stated it better than I would have.

User avatar
Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese
Posts: 12861
Joined: May 9 06, 12:41 pm
Location: Drunk

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Thanks all!

One day at a time. He has a video visit with his doctor today.

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Jocephus »

deaths were kinda petering off late last week but the last 3 days have been bad
2303
2494
2664

User avatar
Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 24269
Joined: October 12 06, 2:21 pm
Location: Baseball Ref Bullpen
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Jocephus wrote: ↑
April 16 20, 9:04 am
deaths were kinda petering off late last week but the last 3 days have been bad
2303
2494
2664
And from what I'm reading, it's beginning to explode in fly over country - particularly in factories where people work at close quarters in states with no lockdown protocols.

But, hey, nobody could have seen this coming...

Online
User avatar
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn
Posts: 43280
Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Coronavirus

Post by heyzeus »

I hope your BIL recovers strong, FB.

User avatar
Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Posts: 25225
Joined: April 17 06, 12:27 pm
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Leroy »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote: ↑
April 16 20, 9:08 am
Jocephus wrote: ↑
April 16 20, 9:04 am
deaths were kinda petering off late last week but the last 3 days have been bad
2303
2494
2664
And from what I'm reading, it's beginning to explode in fly over country - particularly in factories where people work at close quarters in states with no lockdown protocols.

But, hey, nobody could have seen this coming...
I think you have to put this all in context. South Dakota is exploding. In two counties, mostly one really. Where Sioux Falls is at, their largest city. Probably 90% of SD's cases are there, and at least 60% of those are from the meat plant. I don't know what Lemmon, SD really has to lock down for because Sioux Falls is a disaster. Should Sioux Falls lock down? Of course.
ND had a terrible day yesterday, one of our worst, I think it was 35 new cases. Whoa. I am so tired of the national media saying these type of states are the problem.

I mean, states that are locked down have so many more problems, and yes I get population differences. New York had 10,000 plus new cases yesterday. IN A LOCKDOWN.

Many places here are closed, some restaurants are trying curbside and delivery, recreation is done, personal hair and places like that are done. We are keeping our distance. I don't know what more we should do.

The county I used to live in was the first to explode in SD, jumped right up to 21 cases. A legislator actually, and his family all got it. Well, 2 have died, and 19 have recovered. No changes in about a week and a half. By my math, that means no one in the county has it. Make that county lock down? What the f for?

Edit - I looked it up. Minnehaha and Lincoln county have 999 cases. Rest of the state, 169.

User avatar
Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 24269
Joined: October 12 06, 2:21 pm
Location: Baseball Ref Bullpen
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Sure Leroy. Ranchers and small towns of hundreds of people who don't travel an hour away from home - I get that. But these food plants. They should have taken this seriously. Although, thinking about it, that would have meant testing their employees on a regular basis. But testing still isn't available at scale.

User avatar
Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Posts: 25225
Joined: April 17 06, 12:27 pm
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Leroy »

Right. That is all I'm trying to say. That plant used to be a John Morell plant. I knew people that worked there. The working conditions were horrible, and I couldn't even listen to stories about sanitation. But that was years ago. I'm sure it is wayyyy better now.

But what is bothering me is that other states make it sound like it is unfair that we aren't in complete lockdown. I think they kinda need to get over themselves. Take care of your business, then you can start worrying about mine. There are a lot of things we do without here, out in the middle of nowhere. And right now, being in the middle of nowhere seems like a pretty good place to be.

User avatar
Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese
Posts: 12861
Joined: May 9 06, 12:41 pm
Location: Drunk

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Thanks again for the well wishes! I'm still waiting on an update today.

planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy
Posts: 24904
Joined: April 15 06, 6:25 pm
Location: St. Louis

Re: Coronavirus

Post by planet planet »

Obviously we know most industries are suffering, but what industries are doing well right now? Aside from the obvious hand sanitizer, TP, and disinfectant manufacturers. Grocery stores? Some medical supply companies? Pizza delivery places? Healthcare systems are probably hurting from canceling most non-essential/elective surgeries and procedures.

Hope you get good news, FB!

Post Reply