Coronavirus
-
planet planet
- http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy
- Posts: 24904
- Joined: April 15 06, 6:25 pm
- Location: St. Louis
Re: Coronavirus
I know Rhode Island's population is small, but they also have the highest % of tests per 1 million in population at over 42,000 (higher than NY). The average of all the states is just over 14,000/per million. I wonder what they're doing differently?
-
tlombard
- tl;dr
- Posts: 5042
- Joined: May 21 09, 12:41 pm
Re: Coronavirus
My company has started a testing program at one of our sites in MA and apparently it went well enough that they are going to be rolling it out to our other sites in the US in the next couple of weeks based with proximity to hot spots getting the priority. At least if I feel like I really need a test at some point in the future, I know I will have the ability to get tested for free thanks to the company. Before the merger, the company might have done something like this but I'm not sure. The differences between working for a US company and a German one are pretty stark in times like this.
They also sent an email today saying that the work from home requirement has been extended until June 1 so I have at least another month plus working from here. I guess I'm going to have to go out this weekend and pick up a cheap desk and chair to ride this out. I wonder I can somehow expense that....
They also sent an email today saying that the work from home requirement has been extended until June 1 so I have at least another month plus working from here. I guess I'm going to have to go out this weekend and pick up a cheap desk and chair to ride this out. I wonder I can somehow expense that....
- heyzeus
- Everday Unicorn
- Posts: 43280
- Joined: April 21 06, 10:14 am
- Location: Austin, TX
Re: Coronavirus
I've heard it theorized that CVS is there and they have the purchasing access to tests, and have been testing their employees and customers. But that doesn't make a ton of sense, since i'm sure there's a similar number of CVS locations per capita in all the cities of the US at this point.planet planet wrote: ↑April 23 20, 6:01 pmI know Rhode Island's population is small, but they also have the highest % of tests per 1 million in population at over 42,000 (higher than NY). The average of all the states is just over 14,000/per million. I wonder what they're doing differently?
-
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
- "I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"
- Posts: 27563
- Joined: August 5 08, 11:24 am
- Location: Thinking of the Children
Re: Coronavirus
Sorry to hear, Sigh. Hope everything works out for you and your family.
- mikechamp
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 11714
- Joined: April 17 06, 5:05 pm
- Location: Southwestern Illinois
Re: Coronavirus
While I would encourage you to confirm this with a tax professional, I believe that if you are not able to expense it, you should be able to deduct that purchase from your taxes because you could deem it a "necessary business expense".tlombard wrote: ↑April 24 20, 7:45 amThey also sent an email today saying that the work from home requirement has been extended until June 1 so I have at least another month plus working from here. I guess I'm going to have to go out this weekend and pick up a cheap desk and chair to ride this out. I wonder I can somehow expense that....
- Leroy
- a bad penny always turns up
- Posts: 25225
- Joined: April 17 06, 12:27 pm
- Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
- Contact:
Re: Coronavirus
Actually, they really rolled back employee business expenses a couple of years ago. I have a couple of clients that really got kicked in the butt.
Unless you are self-employed, there isn't much you can do. Or maybe get some help from your employer.
I would check online for used stuff, I bet you can get stuff for almost nothing.
Unless you are self-employed, there isn't much you can do. Or maybe get some help from your employer.
I would check online for used stuff, I bet you can get stuff for almost nothing.
- mikechamp
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 11714
- Joined: April 17 06, 5:05 pm
- Location: Southwestern Illinois
Re: Coronavirus
Thanks for setting me straight, Leroy.Leroy wrote: ↑April 24 20, 11:54 amActually, they really rolled back employee business expenses a couple of years ago. I have a couple of clients that really got kicked in the butt.
Unless you are self-employed, there isn't much you can do. Or maybe get some help from your employer.
I would check online for used stuff, I bet you can get stuff for almost nothing.
tlombard - listen to Leroy. He knows of what he speaks.
- Joe Shlabotnik
- Hall Of Famer
- Posts: 24269
- Joined: October 12 06, 2:21 pm
- Location: Baseball Ref Bullpen
- Contact:
Re: Coronavirus
While we are imposing on Leroy - my mother died last year and I did her final taxes. Yesterday I got a $1200 stimulus check made out to "Mom - deceased. C/o Joe Shlabotnik". Is this legit or is treasury going to ask for it back?
- Leroy
- a bad penny always turns up
- Posts: 25225
- Joined: April 17 06, 12:27 pm
- Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
- Contact:
Re: Coronavirus
According to what I've seen, the check is legit. Trump said something about getting it back, but it is based on the 2019 tax return, so that is why she would have gotten it. And you probably filed c/o when you did the return so that's why they sent it to you. Based on that, it looks like they knew full well she was no longer with us. Anyway, most people don't think the IRS 'can' get the money back if they wanted to, and even less think that they 'should'...or should even try to get it back. Not that the IRS minds being seen in a bad light, but this would be rough even for them. On the other hand, it really doesn't make much sense as a 'stimulus' to send it to her. My mom doesn't want it, but she'll get it and probably just go buy a cd with it. And add to that, how bad off the IRS is right now...I'm not saying to cheat on your taxes, but if you were so inclined, now would be the time.
Sorry to hear about your mother, my day for that is coming and I am in no way prepared for it.
Sorry to hear about your mother, my day for that is coming and I am in no way prepared for it.
- sighyoung
- Mayor of GRB
- Posts: 38614
- Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
- Location: Louisville



