Coronavirus

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Post Reply
User avatar
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 11714
Joined: April 17 06, 5:05 pm
Location: Southwestern Illinois

Re: Coronavirus

Post by mikechamp »

sighyoung wrote: ↑
June 1 20, 2:07 pm
All state and residents in my mother's nursing home were tested for the coronavirus on Friday, as part of a statewide program requiring testing in all nursing homes. Three residents and four staff in my mother's unit tested positive, although all were asymptomatic (and I know there's a high rate of false positives). I think the facility is moving very aggressively to deal with this, but it doesn't surprise me that staff and patients may have it. Frankly, I'm shocked that my mother wasn't one of the people who tested positive.
Your last sentence made me wonder: Are there such things as false negatives?

User avatar
sighyoung
Mayor of GRB
Posts: 38614
Joined: April 17 06, 7:42 pm
Location: Louisville

Re: Coronavirus

Post by sighyoung »

mikechamp wrote: ↑
June 1 20, 2:14 pm
sighyoung wrote: ↑
June 1 20, 2:07 pm
All state and residents in my mother's nursing home were tested for the coronavirus on Friday, as part of a statewide program requiring testing in all nursing homes. Three residents and four staff in my mother's unit tested positive, although all were asymptomatic (and I know there's a high rate of false positives). I think the facility is moving very aggressively to deal with this, but it doesn't surprise me that staff and patients may have it. Frankly, I'm shocked that my mother wasn't one of the people who tested positive.
Your last sentence made me wonder: Are there such things as false negatives?
That's evidently not nearly as common or a concern with some of the tests:

User avatar
Felix The Cat
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 8063
Joined: January 9 08, 5:30 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Felix The Cat »

If it's an antibody test (meaning it's checking to see if your body's immune system has responded to the virus), you can get a false negative if you're immunocompromised or if you got infected so recently, your body hasn't had the time to build up a strong enough concentration of antibody against the virus yet.

False positives can occur if you've been exposed to a similar/related virus in the past and the test is detecting that similar antibody instead of an anti-COVID one.

User avatar
Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Posts: 25226
Joined: April 17 06, 12:27 pm
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Leroy »

Way to go guys.

PIERRE, S.D. (WNAX) –
At one point, state health officials predicted up to 130,000 people in the state could be infected with the coronavirus by early July. The current numbers don’t support that trend.

The state has now seen just over 5,000 total positive cases with just over 1,000 active cases.
Maybe there is a future in weather forecasting for the state health officials.

Jocephus
99% conan clips
Posts: 64992
Joined: April 18 06, 5:14 pm

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Jocephus »

when was that prediction made? was it not a worst case scenario number?

User avatar
Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Posts: 25226
Joined: April 17 06, 12:27 pm
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Leroy »

I'm sure it was. I guess what strikes me is SD should be in the worst case scenario, having never completely shut down.

User avatar
Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 24269
Joined: October 12 06, 2:21 pm
Location: Baseball Ref Bullpen
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Leroy wrote: ↑
June 3 20, 9:11 am
I'm sure it was. I guess what strikes me is SD should be in the worst case scenario, having never completely shut down.
I don't know. As you pointed out, the state has social distancing built in. Same here in southern Oregon. Biggest cities are still way less than 100k population and not a lot of dense residential or work locations.

User avatar
Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Posts: 25226
Joined: April 17 06, 12:27 pm
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Leroy »

True. Something else I'd say, is I'd like to keep that 6 foot halo rule in force permanently.

User avatar
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 11714
Joined: April 17 06, 5:05 pm
Location: Southwestern Illinois

Re: Coronavirus

Post by mikechamp »

Leroy wrote: ↑
June 3 20, 10:06 am
True. Something else I'd say, is I'd like to keep that 6 foot halo rule in force permanently.
Geez. We love you, too, Leroy.

:wink:

User avatar
Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 24269
Joined: October 12 06, 2:21 pm
Location: Baseball Ref Bullpen
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Leroy wrote: ↑
June 3 20, 10:06 am
True. Something else I'd say, is I'd like to keep that 6 foot halo rule in force permanently.
Just stockpile a bunch of these babies Leroy and you are all set!
Image

Post Reply