Page 10 of 22

Posted: July 5 06, 10:23 pm
by Michael
skmsw wrote:
Michael wrote:fanforever I respect your point however considering the way Ponson has looked I really don't see a down side to this.
..................ERA.....HR/9ip.......$$$
Weaver.......6.29......1.83.......$3m? $3.5?
Ponson........5.60......0.86.......$750k
Ponson was fading fast.

The money thing I'm very curious about.

Posted: July 5 06, 10:26 pm
by kscardfan
skmsw wrote:
Michael wrote:fanforever I respect your point however considering the way Ponson has looked I really don't see a down side to this.
..................ERA.....HR/9ip.......$$$
Weaver.......6.29......1.83.......$3m? $3.5?
Ponson........5.60......0.86.......$750k
What I don't get is the question who is the odd man out? Ponson ,Suppan , or Marquis. None of them mentioned the obvious. Your stats there show who the odd man out should be. What has he done to deserve a shot. Get dumped by his former team. You'd think from the talk on here ,that made him better automatically. Go figure.

Posted: July 5 06, 10:28 pm
by greenback44
Michael wrote:The money thing I'm very curious about.
The Cardinals aren't trading for Abreu or something.

Posted: July 5 06, 10:28 pm
by skmsw
If I recall correctly, in the New Economy of baseball, salary dump trades like this generally yield $1mm of salary relief for a solid prospect, less for a filler prospect. The salary-dump trade is usually, in effect, selling the prospect. If I hadda peg a price on Terry, I'd say $250,000 to $500,000.

Theoretically it could be a million or two -- e.g. LAA splitting the cost with us because they're happy to be rid of ANY of the money -- but if Weaver was relatively sought-after (including teams offering players on major league rosters) I doubt the cash was that high; apparently they had some bargaining power.

Posted: July 5 06, 10:28 pm
by hicard
docellis wrote:maybe they signed him just to scare soup, ponson and marquis.
Probably not Doc. These guys may be staring in
disbelief. Weaver gets knocked around as much
as, if not more, than the aforementioned.

I'm hopin the new home does some good.

Posted: July 5 06, 10:31 pm
by Brodie
IMO this trade means that soup or Marquis is getting traded for a bat, maybe a playoff team that needs pitching but has an abundant of OF, someone like the Mets or Arizona, possibly this could be part of a bigger trade, (JUST GUESSING) marquis and prospects to marlins for cabrera or Willis....AGAIN THAT IS WHAT I AM GUESSING AND HOPING WILL HAPPEN

Posted: July 5 06, 10:32 pm
by Michael
Brodie wrote:IMO this trade means that soup or Marquis is getting traded for a bat, maybe a playoff team that needs pitching but has an abundant of OF, someone like the Mets or Arizona, possibly this could be part of a bigger trade, (JUST GUESSING) marquis and prospects to marlins for cabrera or Willis....AGAIN THAT IS WHAT I AM GUESSING AND HOPING WILL HAPPEN
Well that means Walt better deal fast or else Reyes is going down to AAA.

Posted: July 5 06, 10:37 pm
by Leroy
Is this all true?

I dislike Weaver nearly to the point of loathe. :cry:

Posted: July 5 06, 10:38 pm
by Fat Strat
It's all true.

You'll have to start liking him.

Posted: July 5 06, 10:38 pm
by Michael
greenback44 wrote:
Michael wrote:The money thing I'm very curious about.
The Cardinals aren't trading for Abreu or something.
No, but if they have to chip in a few million it might make it harder to get someone else.