Draft Preparation

Talk about fantasy sports here
User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer
Posts: 9323
Joined: April 25 06, 6:07 pm
Location: Across the River

Draft Preparation

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

What are you guys using for research this year? Any favorite guides or cheatsheets?

User avatar
Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster
Posts: 31038
Joined: April 17 06, 11:25 am

Re: Draft Preparation

Post by Popeye_Card »

I pulled the projections from fangraphs, then did some analysis and projections based on my league's particular scoring categories. I focus on two things--how much better than the rest of my draft options is Player X vs. the whole league, and vs. the other players at his position.

Based on those results, I scan back over everything based on position scarcity. For example, only 2 SS's are worth a crap--Ramirez and Tulo. So with the 4th pick I had to take one in the first round, or have a black hole at the position all year long.

With such a draft strategy, I ended up with a pretty strong crop of hitters at weaker positions (MI, C), while being thoroughly average in the OF and 1B. But hey, the drop-off between Tulo and an average SS is much greater than, say, Votto and the average 1B.

Because my league counts 3 rate stats plus losses and saves for pitchers, RP's end up being better choices than almost all SP's. So I ended up taking a few really good RP's to hedge my bets in 5 of 7 pitching categories, because wins are a bit flukey and I'm willing to give up saves.

But that's more info than you needed to know. Grab the excel docs from fangraphs and do your own calcs accordingly. I don't trust random rankings because our league is structurally different, where things like speed just aren't as important as extra bases and OBP.

User avatar
Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster
Posts: 31038
Joined: April 17 06, 11:25 am

Re: Draft Preparation

Post by Popeye_Card »

Correction: I'm giving up K's, not saves.

User avatar
themiddle54
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4524
Joined: August 24 10, 2:49 pm

Re: Draft Preparation

Post by themiddle54 »

I do the same as Popeye. I download the PFM from BP, Marcel, and CAIRO. Then I plug in excel formulas for my league's scoring (it's points-based) and sort in that order. I look for the guys they're all in agreement on. Guys like Pujols and Hanley and Halladay are known entities and pretty much no-brainers as to where they rank positionally, overall, and in auction value. I'm also looking for unknown entities that they're mostly bullish on, and not falling in love with players that only one system loves. One system loves JP Arencibia at C this year, the others not so much. So I'll pass on him, whereas if I were just using CAIRO I'd plan on stealing him late or getting him at auction for a buck or two and making a big margin on that sleeper. I think you have to draw multiple perspectives so you don't make a mistake banking too hard on one guy that one projection system or publication is big on.

User avatar
go birds
-go birds
Posts: 32057
Joined: February 5 10, 9:54 am

Re: Draft Preparation

Post by go birds »

Rotoworld's draft guide has always been pretty reliable. I like it, but since I'm penny pinching, I'm looking for cheaper options this year.

RW's guide is $20.

Is there anything else out there cheaper, other than lousy magazines?

User avatar
TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart
Posts: 8950
Joined: April 22 06, 6:53 pm
Location: St. Louis
Contact:

Re: Draft Preparation

Post by TheoSqua »

fantasybaseballcafe.com has a bunch of great draft sheets on the forums.

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer
Posts: 9323
Joined: April 25 06, 6:07 pm
Location: Across the River

Re: Draft Preparation

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Anyone know where I can find ESPN's default auction values? I'm going to be playing in a league that will probably rely on the valuation they see next to the player more than they should, and I'd like to know which guys I like more/less than ESPN before the draft.

User avatar
themiddle54
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 4524
Joined: August 24 10, 2:49 pm

Re: Draft Preparation

Post by themiddle54 »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Anyone know where I can find ESPN's default auction values? I'm going to be playing in a league that will probably rely on the valuation they see next to the player more than they should, and I'd like to know which guys I like more/less than ESPN before the draft.
http://games-ak.espn.go.com/s/flbdraftk ... _mixed_xxx

There's the link. Or from ESPN's fantasy page hit 'draft kit' in the bar towards the top, and then scroll down for the link.

Beware. These are not the prices the players will go for. You'll learn more from doing a few mock auctions than you will from reading this.

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer
Posts: 9323
Joined: April 25 06, 6:07 pm
Location: Across the River

Re: Draft Preparation

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

themiddle54 wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Anyone know where I can find ESPN's default auction values? I'm going to be playing in a league that will probably rely on the valuation they see next to the player more than they should, and I'd like to know which guys I like more/less than ESPN before the draft.
http://games-ak.espn.go.com/s/flbdraftk ... _mixed_xxx

There's the link. Or from ESPN's fantasy page hit 'draft kit' in the bar towards the top, and then scroll down for the link.

Beware. These are not the prices the players will go for. You'll learn more from doing a few mock auctions than you will from reading this.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I actually just joined a mock draft with my settings (12 team mixed 5x5) and just copied all the pre-draft valuations, which were a bit different than the cheat sheet. Apparently nearly every pitcher is a bargain and every hitter is overvalued compared to my composite projections.

User avatar
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 11717
Joined: April 17 06, 5:05 pm
Location: Southwestern Illinois

Re: Draft Preparation

Post by mikechamp »

Roto Authority also has free rankings for each position.

Example:
http://www.rotoauthority.com/2011/02/ou ... kings.html

Post Reply